Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 413462 times)

Offline Montclair

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1515 on: January 07, 2014, 01:42:02 PM »
To be more precise, they lifted the injunction with was granted after an ex parte hearing.  They did not rule on whether the book was defamatory.  That is of course the subject of the current trial.

The "acordão" stated that the book was not defamatory and did not infringe the rights of the parents of Madeleine.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #1516 on: January 07, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »
Thank you Montclair. 

The appeal was, I gather, ex parte.  And rather hinged around Amaral right to feedom of expression under article 37 parts 1 and 2, but without considering parts 3 and 4 (http://www.parlamento.pt/Legislacao/Paginas/ConstituicaoRepublicaPortuguesa.aspx#art37)

Clipped from sol report (http://sol.sapo.pt/inicio/Sociedade/Interior.aspx?content_id=2505)

"With reference to the complainants' (the McCanns') privacy, they themselves have given many interviews and talks for the media with information that would not otherwise have been made public," and that, "they voluntarily placed limits on their rights to privacy, in order to achieve higher goals such as the discovery of their daughter's whereabouts."

In doing so, "they opened the doors for others to express their opinion on the subject, about what was being said and also to contradict what was being said, always within a legal and constitutionally guaranteed right to respond and freedom of expression of opinion."

Hence this current trial.  I would have though that, given the comments above, Amaral might be more keen get on with it. 

But yet again we are seeing delaying tactics.

Which makes me ask the question - "why"?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1517 on: January 07, 2014, 02:10:33 PM »

They all contributed to hampering the search.  But since most of the bullshit came fro PJ Leaks, it doesn't take much to realise what was going on.

Shame on The UK Media for doing this.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1518 on: January 07, 2014, 02:15:10 PM »

Oh, I see.  This current Trial is all a bit of fun for The Portuguese Court.  Damn it.  Why didn't I realise that?

stephen25000

« Reply #1519 on: January 07, 2014, 02:31:48 PM »
They all contributed to hampering the search.  But since most of the bullshit came fro PJ Leaks, it doesn't take much to realise what was going on.

Shame on The UK Media for doing this.

More pertinently, how have the mccanns repeatedly hampered the search for Madeleine ?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1520 on: January 07, 2014, 02:52:34 PM »
More pertinently, how have the mccanns repeatedly hampered the search for Madeleine ?

Well, they haven't, have they.  But I do wonder about you from time to time.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1521 on: January 07, 2014, 02:58:23 PM »
Jerry Lawton Twitter

10:17 AM - 7 Jan 2014

#McCann libel trial adjourned to date to be fixed after Goncalo Amaral's lawyers submitted more documents at last minute.

https://twitter.com/JerryLawton

I thought amaral was so far ahead it was all done and dusted

Offline jassi

« Reply #1522 on: January 07, 2014, 03:08:18 PM »
You know how lawyers like to drag these things out  ?{)(**
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Redblossom

« Reply #1523 on: January 07, 2014, 03:11:15 PM »
information is frequently brought to the courts attention at "the last minute" ...doesnt mean it IS some "delaying  tactic"

Offline Victoria

« Reply #1524 on: January 07, 2014, 03:14:42 PM »
information is frequently brought to the courts attention at "the last minute"...

No it isn't, not in real life. Though it happens all the time in TV/movie world.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1525 on: January 07, 2014, 03:15:35 PM »
information is frequently brought to the courts attention at "the last minute" ...doesnt mean it IS some "delaying  tactic"

After four years?  Goodness me.  This could go on forever.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1526 on: January 07, 2014, 03:18:41 PM »
After four years?  Goodness me. This could go on forever.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline jassi

« Reply #1527 on: January 07, 2014, 03:20:09 PM »
After four years?  Goodness me. This could go on forever.

Indeed it might if appeals are allowed.

Or maybe not -

Estuarine

« Reply #1528 on: January 07, 2014, 03:57:43 PM »
Oh, I see.  This current Trial is all a bit of fun for The Portuguese Court.  Damn it.  Why didn't I realise that?

Given the usual caveat I am ill informed. The libel thingy was set in progress before the Supreme Court ruled on the publishing injunction wotsit. The libel action can only be pulled by those who started it unless the defendants (all 4 of them) settle out of court. Food for thought I would say.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #1529 on: January 07, 2014, 04:43:11 PM »
'I hope you can understand the amount of damage the press have done in the search for Madeleine'

Yes if the rotten journalists had just printed those efits 5 years ago like Kate & Gerry begged them to do then Maddie would have been home by now.

Yes,  this is what I was referring to, all.

Thanks red - had a late start over here today! Shoveling ice and snow. Minus 20C at 11am this morning!

Anyway , not a clever statement to make in the circumstances, no?