Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 413571 times)

Offline jassi

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1770 on: February 24, 2014, 12:36:44 PM »
That is in fact true.  Both the tapas-9 friend and the family member who contacted the BBC and Sky News did not contact the police beforehand, that responsibility was left to AN Other.

The comment should not be taken to mean that the Press were contacted before the police.

A good example of how lawyers can have a field day with these sorts of cases.

What is actually said or written can so easily be misunderstood. Exact wording can be so important.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline gilet

« Reply #1771 on: April 07, 2014, 11:06:55 PM »
As the forum expert on the Libel trial would it be possible for Anne Guedes to comment on the situation in Lisbon?
I am aware that she has not posted for a month or so but see that she is online daily.
I would much appreciate some indication from her as to what is going on with th trial.

Has the trial concluded? If so what was the result?
If the trial has not concluded does Anne Guedes know any details regarding when it might continue?

If specifics are not known, then is the apparently unexplained interruption to proceedings unusual in Portuguese cases similar to this one?

Offline John

« Reply #1772 on: April 08, 2014, 10:01:25 AM »
As the forum expert on the Libel trial would it be possible for Anne Guedes to comment on the situation in Lisbon?
I am aware that she has not posted for a month or so but see that she is online daily.
I would much appreciate some indication from her as to what is going on with th trial.

Has the trial concluded? If so what was the result?
If the trial has not concluded does Anne Guedes know any details regarding when it might continue?

If specifics are not known, then is the apparently unexplained interruption to proceedings unusual in Portuguese cases similar to this one?

I find the libel trial quite bizarre but then that is probably the way these things work in Portugal.  I can tell you that it hasn't concluded yet gilet as there are still some outstanding issues to be determined in open court.  When this will happen is anyone's guess.   8-)(--)

Basically a case of watch this space.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline gilet

« Reply #1773 on: April 09, 2014, 02:57:52 AM »
I find the libel trial quite bizarre but then that is probably the way these things work in Portugal.  I can tell you that it hasn't concluded yet gilet as there are still some outstanding issues to be determined in open court.  When this will happen is anyone's guess.   8-)(--)

Basically a case of watch this space.

Any evidence for this statement that the trial has not concluded by any chance?

Just wondering, like!

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1774 on: April 09, 2014, 07:58:30 AM »

Just wondering, like!

It seems...from  a portuguese poster...that this is how justice works in Portugal and this could still drag on and onand on...no wonder the mcccannns and tapas didn't want to go back to such a judicial farce

stephen25000

« Reply #1775 on: April 09, 2014, 08:33:05 AM »
It seems...from  a portuguese poster...that this is how justice works in Portugal and this could still drag on and onand on...no wonder the mcccannns and tapas didn't want to go back to such a judicial farce

'judicai farce'

i.e. It will find against the mccanns.

Cariad

« Reply #1776 on: April 09, 2014, 09:44:28 AM »

Just wondering, like!

What evidence would you like? The absolute silence from the newspapers, the Mccanns and Dr Amaral? Don't you think that if there had been a conclusion, the winning party would be shouting it from the rooftops?

Easter is coming so don't expect anything imminently.

Estuarine

« Reply #1777 on: April 09, 2014, 11:23:41 AM »

Our system of course is so much better; Stephen Lawrence, Hillsborough, McDonald Corporation v Steel and Morris, any one of several negligence claims against The NHS that drift on and on, just for starters.
But of course these will be "different" will they not?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1778 on: April 09, 2014, 11:50:23 AM »
Our system of course is so much better; Stephen Lawrence, Hillsborough, McDonald Corporation v Steel and Morris, any one of several negligence claims against The NHS that drift on and on, just for starters.
But of course these will be "different" will they not?

This is a straightforward libel trial

Offline jassi

« Reply #1779 on: April 09, 2014, 12:20:23 PM »
This is a straightforward libel trial

Nothing seems straightforward where the McCanns are concerned. This trial would appear no different.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1780 on: April 09, 2014, 12:26:26 PM »
Nothing seems straightforward where the McCanns are concerned. This trial would appear no different.

how long did the one with Bennett take in the UK

Offline jassi

« Reply #1781 on: April 09, 2014, 12:35:43 PM »
how long did the one with Bennett take in the UK

No where near as long, I imagine, but he was faced with all the might of Carter Ruck, which the McCanns are having to do without in Portugal.

Or maybe not -

Offline John

« Reply #1782 on: April 11, 2014, 03:46:55 AM »

Just wondering, like!

Evidence of something which hasn't happened?  hmm..   8-)(--)
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

« Reply #1783 on: April 11, 2014, 03:52:10 AM »

It is unfair to judge Portuguese Law by UK standards.  They will conclude the trial when they are good and ready.  Be prepared for a potential countersuit though if the McCanns case goes pair shaped.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1784 on: April 30, 2014, 09:43:28 PM »
Seems like there is news on the trial