Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 413421 times)

Offline Victoria

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1815 on: June 02, 2014, 09:20:44 AM »
So Gerry is being permitted to give the court an impact statement? Good news! I'm glad the Judge has seen fit to allow him to give evidence in person. I bet Amaral was spitting blood at that one!  8@??)(

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1816 on: June 02, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
...  and another thing

This trial has been on hold for six months

During that time the McCanns and their lawyers  knew  that the reason for the trial being suspended was because their right to represent Madeleine's interests in court had been brought into question

They have,  therefore,  had six months to obtain and present to the Judge the documentation she is now allowing them 30 days to submit

It's become a farce

amaral has had six years to raise this point and he has waited to the last minute..tthe farce has been caused by amaral

stephen25000

« Reply #1817 on: June 02, 2014, 09:30:17 AM »
So Gerry is being permitted to give the court an impact statement? Good news! I'm glad the Judge has seen fit to allow him to give evidence in person. I bet Amaral was spitting blood at that one!  8@??)(

impact statement ???

The irony of that is almost beyond belief.

Who was it in the first place who left their 'beloved' daughter and two siblings in peril in the first place ? 8)-)))

stephen25000

« Reply #1818 on: June 02, 2014, 09:32:05 AM »
amaral has had six years to raise this point and he has waited to the last minute..tthe farce has been caused by amaral

No davel, the whole cause of this case the abject failure of two parents to take care of their children, and what ever the outcome of this case, that won't change.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1819 on: June 02, 2014, 09:33:57 AM »
...  and another thing

This trial has been on hold for six months

During that time the McCanns and their lawyers  knew  that the reason for the trial being suspended was because their right to represent Madeleine's interests in court had been brought into question

They have,  therefore,  had six months to obtain and present to the Judge the documentation she is now allowing them 30 days to submit

It's become a farce

I don't know about that, and not even sure if it works in that way.

If it exists, or was even needed in the first place, then Isobel Duarte will know about it.

Quite possibly The Judge was required by Law to rule on this point put by Amaral.  Justice must be seen to be done.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1820 on: June 02, 2014, 12:20:55 PM »
The original action which achieved a temporary injunction and effective sequestration of Dr Amaral's funds was an ex-parte action brought by the McCanns. The most common ex parte hearing is a request for a rapid injunction of one kind or another where there is insufficient time to notify the other party. Even in ex-parte actions there will be a "winner" and a "loser".

Both parties have the right to be heard by the court making the ruling. An ex parte hearing will usually result in only a temporary ruling until the "defendant" can be served and a full hearing held.

UK law. That should clear it up.

In the event this particular injunction was overturned at the Appeal Court and Dr Amaral was awarded some costs.
That is what happened, interpret it as you wish.

this was also an ex parte judgement

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1821 on: June 12, 2014, 02:30:29 PM »
>Snip<  Mr and Mrs McCann are expected to return to Portugal on Monday, where they will deliver statements to the libel trial of former Portuguese police chief Goncalo Amaral, who the McCanns are suing over claims in his book The Truth Of The Lie.

He claims in his book that they faked their daughter's abduction to cover up her death in their holiday apartment.

Spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: 'I can confirm that Kate and Gerry are planning to attend court in Lisbon on Monday when they will give their personal statements having successfully appealed to do so.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2656222/It-reinforces-belief-alive-Madeleine-McCanns-parents-positive-no-evidence-death-far-new-investigation.html#ixzz34QnHDeGZ
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1822 on: June 16, 2014, 12:55:38 AM »
I have a feeling there's going to be tears before bedtime Carlymichelle.

Events are progressing slowly but in comparison to the inaction of the past seven years they are actually moving at breakneck speed.

The Court of Appeal has recognised and allowed the victim impact statements of Madeleine's parents to be heard. 

Although it hardly appears to be necessary.

Just this week we have had confirmation of the vitriolic campaign directed at Madeleine and her parents as epitomised by the sentiments publicised by the graffiti painted on the walls at Praia Da Luz.
Surely sending out a subliminal message to the judge who will be aware of it, just as she will be aware of the burning and defacing of Madeleine's posters.

In my opinion there is no need for the Drs McCann to be anything other than relaxed.  The trial is secondary to the fact that their tenacious campaign has meant that at long last an official search is being conducted to find Madeleine or to find out what happened to her and I imagine that is their priority.

However I am betting that Dr Amaral is wishing that he had settled this when he had the opportunity. 

So all things considered I think the defendants are the ones who may have reason for disquiet.

"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #1823 on: June 16, 2014, 01:26:14 AM »
Events are progressing slowly but in comparison to the inaction of the past seven years they are actually moving at breakneck speed.

The Court of Appeal has recognised and allowed the victim impact statements of Madeleine's parents to be heard. 

Although it hardly appears to be necessary.

Just this week we have had confirmation of the vitriolic campaign directed at Madeleine and her parents as epitomised by the sentiments publicised by the graffiti painted on the walls at Praia Da Luz.
Surely sending out a subliminal message to the judge who will be aware of it, just as she will be aware of the burning and defacing of Madeleine's posters.

In my opinion there is no need for the Drs McCann to be anything other than relaxed.  The trial is secondary to the fact that their tenacious campaign has meant that at long last an official search is being conducted to find Madeleine or to find out what happened to her and I imagine that is their priority.

However I am betting that Dr Amaral is wishing that he had settled this when he had the opportunity. 

So all things considered I think the defendants are the ones who may have reason for disquiet.

Well.. once he hands his earnings on Madeleine to her parents his supporters can start opening their wallets and together make their hero rich again.

Offline Admin

« Reply #1824 on: June 16, 2014, 02:39:17 PM »
McCanns Angry Over 'Cynical' Libel Trial Delay

The parents of Madeleine McCann have condemned the postponement of a former police officer's libel trial as a "blatant" attempt to wear them down.

Kate and Gerry McCann had been due to speak at the trial of ex-police chief Goncalo Amaral, who has been accused of making defamatory statements about them in a book he wrote.

At the last minute, Mr Goncalo's lawyers submitted a letter to the court asking for a postponement as he had sacked his legal team.

Speaking outside the court, Gerry McCann said: "Today is a blatant and cynical attempt to wear us down.

"The hearing has been cancelled once again at Mr Amaral's request. This is the fourth time that this has happened and we've travelled to Portugal.

"The legal case has been running now for five years and we want to get justice for Madeleine. It's Madeleine who is suffering. We are not going to give up. We are going to keep going."

Mrs McCann, her voice cracking with the strain as she was surrounded by the Portuguese media, added: "We need to make it clear to people that we took on this case because of the pain and distress that Mr Amaral has brought to us and our children.

"Every time he postpones the case like this it brings us more pain and distress. Every time we come here we have to make arrangements for our children to be looked after, we have to book flights, we have to book hotels, we have to take time off work.

"Mr Amaral apparently handed that letter in at nine o'clock this morning. That letter could have been handed in before we left the country. As Gerry said, can this be seen as anything but blatant and cynical?

"We just want justice. This is not fair."

Read more...

Offline jassi

« Reply #1825 on: June 16, 2014, 02:54:38 PM »
McCanns Angry Over 'Cynical' Libel Trial Delay

The parents of Madeleine McCann have condemned the postponement of a former police officer's libel trial as a "blatant" attempt to wear them down.

Kate and Gerry McCann had been due to speak at the trial of ex-police chief Goncalo Amaral, who has been accused of making defamatory statements about them in a book he wrote.

At the last minute, Mr Goncalo's lawyers submitted a letter to the court asking for a postponement as he had sacked his legal team.

Speaking outside the court, Gerry McCann said: "Today is a blatant and cynical attempt to wear us down.

"The hearing has been cancelled once again at Mr Amaral's request. This is the fourth time that this has happened and we've travelled to Portugal.

"The legal case has been running now for five years and we want to get justice for Madeleine. It's Madeleine who is suffering. We are not going to give up. We are going to keep going."

Mrs McCann, her voice cracking with the strain as she was surrounded by the Portuguese media, added: "We need to make it clear to people that we took on this case because of the pain and distress that Mr Amaral has brought to us and our children.

"Every time he postpones the case like this it brings us more pain and distress. Every time we come here we have to make arrangements for our children to be looked after, we have to book flights, we have to book hotels, we have to take time off work.

"Mr Amaral apparently handed that letter in at nine o'clock this morning. That letter could have been handed in before we left the country. As Gerry said, can this be seen as anything but blatant and cynical?

"We just want justice. This is not fair."

Read more...

It's not clear to me how settling this case will ease 'Madeleine's suffering'. Can anyone explain ?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1826 on: June 16, 2014, 04:33:46 PM »
It's not clear to me how settling this case will ease 'Madeleine's suffering'. Can anyone explain ?

read it through a couple of times and you may be able to understand what kate is saying

Offline jassi

« Reply #1827 on: June 16, 2014, 04:36:48 PM »
I would prefer an explanation - just so there is no misunderstanding.
 How is Madeleine's suffering eased by this action ?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #1828 on: June 16, 2014, 04:39:25 PM »
read it through a couple of times and you may be able to understand what kate is saying

She obviously believes Madeleine is still alive and due to this book many people would think she is dead and maybe not pay attention if they see her or know something that can help. ( Amaral, the person of authority is telling them that..).

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1829 on: June 16, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »
I would prefer an explanation - just so there is no misunderstanding.
 How is Madeleine's suffering eased by this action ?

that's not what kate is saying...if you cant understand...you cant understand