Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 413375 times)

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1995 on: December 10, 2014, 08:18:39 PM »
Just to balance!
Fatima de Oliveira Esteves, representing publisher Guerra e Paz, admitted that Mr Amaral 'appeared to have invented' much of the book.

But she added: 'The fact is those children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Montclair

« Reply #1996 on: December 10, 2014, 08:21:08 PM »
Even if the McCanns lose the case it will all have been worth quite a lot to have had that admission at least.

Did you see my post? Or do you prefer to ignore it? DM doesn't understand irony or prefers to pretend they don't understand. The lawyer for Guerra & Paz was being ironic when she said that. Don't be too disappointed.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1997 on: December 10, 2014, 08:21:35 PM »
But this appears to be the crutch of the issue as one might say.

Judge Maria de Melo e Castro said the court will convene on January 21 to discuss which facts have been proved.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Montclair

« Reply #1998 on: December 10, 2014, 08:22:58 PM »
Just to balance!
Fatima de Oliveira Esteves, representing publisher Guerra e Paz, admitted that Mr Amaral 'appeared to have invented' much of the book.

But she added: 'The fact is those children were left alone and because of that fact one of them disappeared.

Please, you do know that this "quote" is from the Daily Mail who was either sloppy or deliberate in their misunderstanding of what the lawyer said.

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #1999 on: December 10, 2014, 08:26:32 PM »
Just to balance!

That was clear too.. Madeleine was abducted..

stephen25000

« Reply #2000 on: December 10, 2014, 08:28:07 PM »
That was clear too.. Madeleine was abducted..

I presume you have proof of that, and not just a 'belief' like Redwood ? %£&)**# &%&£(+ %£&)**# &%&£(+

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #2001 on: December 10, 2014, 08:33:38 PM »
Please, you do know that this "quote" is from the Daily Mail who was either sloppy or deliberate in their misunderstanding of what the lawyer said.

I would expect the Mail (and the press generally) to print something that will sell copy and may not necessarily be accurate, furthermore I would expect both "sides" to highlight the bits that seem to support their cause.
What the judge says on 21st January is what will count. Meantime the pundits reign.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:36:56 PM by Alice Purjorick »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2002 on: December 10, 2014, 08:33:43 PM »
Just to balance!

Note she blames madeleine being left alone as the reason for her disappearance...not her accident but her disappearance...well done these lawyers they have certainly put the nails in amaral,s coffin

ferryman

« Reply #2003 on: December 10, 2014, 09:57:27 PM »
... since what is being argued at the trial is the “lawfulness or unlawfulness of the book I wrote and, and if so, whether it is possible to establish a causality link between the book and the possible damages they allege to have suffered”.

Boils down to a simple question.

Is libel (proven and established!) lawful or unlawful?

So far as I am aware, it is unlawful ...

PS:

Anyone who thinks that (proven and established!) libel that falsely accuses the McCanns of causing the death of their daughter, then fabricating a 'coverup' doesn't damage the search for Madeleine is an idiot ...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:01:28 PM by ferryman »

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #2004 on: December 10, 2014, 10:11:36 PM »
... since what is being argued at the trial is the “lawfulness or unlawfulness of the book I wrote and, and if so, whether it is possible to establish a causality link between the book and the possible damages they allege to have suffered”.

Boils down to a simple question.

Is libel (proven and established!) lawful or unlawful?

So far as I am aware, it is unlawful ...

PS:

Anyone who thinks that (proven and established!) libel that falsely accuses the McCanns of causing the death of their daughter, then fabricating a 'coverup' doesn't damage the search for Madeleine is an idiot ...

But the official search had ceased with the archiving of the case prior to publication of Dr Amaral's book.
The interesting matter will be whether the judge discriminates between the "official" and "unofficial" searches.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 04:13:29 PM by John »

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #2005 on: December 11, 2014, 10:08:20 AM »
Did you see my post? Or do you prefer to ignore it? DM doesn't understand irony or prefers to pretend they don't understand. The lawyer for Guerra & Paz was being ironic when she said that. Don't be too disappointed.

Montclair, just to clarify then - Ms Esteves was joking when she said (in court)  "Mr Amaral 'appeared to have invented' much of the book. "

Hmmm. 

Offline Montclair

« Reply #2006 on: December 11, 2014, 10:20:37 AM »

Offline Montclair

« Reply #2007 on: December 11, 2014, 10:26:15 AM »
Montclair, just to clarify then - Ms Esteves was joking when she said (in court)  "Mr Amaral 'appeared to have invented' much of the book. "

Hmmm.

The lawyer was referring to what the McCanns and their lawyers were inferring: That he "appeared to have invented much of the book". But I doubt that you will be able to understand such subtle remarks.

BTW, as to these "sexual assaults", did any of you notice the word "alleged"?

ferryman

« Reply #2008 on: December 11, 2014, 02:23:23 PM »
http://themaddiecasefiles.com/topic21147.html

The Metro is on strike today. Everyone is present in Court except for the Judge. The plaintiff’s lawyer, Dra Isabel Duarte, is not present but substituted by her assistant Dr Ricardo Alfonso, he sits in her chair.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:18:59 PM by John »

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #2009 on: December 11, 2014, 03:17:58 PM »
Thanks to Astra.

Miguel Cruz Rodrigues, lawyer for Goncalo Amaral, Lisbon 2014:
' lack of cooperation from the couple and their friends led to the shelving of the case, a shelving that they never opposed, as they could have done'

So that puts that little nugget to bed once and for all.

Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?