Author Topic: Could or should the McCann's have done anything differently?  (Read 11346 times)

stephen25000

Re: Could or should the McCann's have done anything differently?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 02:49:43 PM »
I feel they ran away after they were made suspects or arguidos and couldn't get out of Portugal quick enough.   This might be a misapprehension on my behalf but this is something which stands out for me.   There is also the refusal (I believe) to take part in a reconstruction of events at the scene.   If it was my child who had disappeared I would do everything under the sun to coperate with the police and judicial authorities.

They had been in Portugal for more than four months.  And The Villa Rental was running out.  They had already decided to leave at that time before they were made Arguidos.

The McCanns did not refuse to take part in a Reconstruction.
Oh sorry    8(8-))  another myth dispelled thanks   8@??)(

So when exactly was the reconstruction ? >@@(*&)

stephen25000

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 02:51:51 PM »
I feel they ran away after they were made suspects or arguidos and couldn't get out of Portugal quick enough.   This might be a misapprehension on my behalf but this is something which stands out for me.   There is also the refusal (I believe) to take part in a reconstruction of events at the scene.   If it was my child who had disappeared I would do everything under the sun to coperate with the police and judicial authorities.

They had been in Portugal for more than four months.  And The Villa Rental was running out.  They had already decided to leave at that time before they were made Arguidos.

That is true - to my understanding - some of the group however - seemed very reluctant to return to PT for a reconstruction

A year later was a bit too late, I'm afraid.  especially as many of the witnesses weren't available, or even asked to attend.

Witnesses can be called years after the event.

So what was different here ?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 02:52:33 PM »

Oh sorry    8(8-))  another myth dispelled thanks   8@??)(

No apology needed.  That's what I am here for.  So tired of the myths.

Apart from other Cases, of course.  The Bamber Case has been an eye opener.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 02:54:19 PM »
The Mccanns employed metardo3, who had no experience in finding missing children.

They promised, 'she'd be home for Christmas', the same year.

The same company who have committed criminal acts and found guilty.

Now why wouldn't you employ someone who new what they were doing and had expertise ?

Metodo3 did not promise to have Madeline home for Christmas.  They said that they hoped they would.

stephen25000

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 03:03:30 PM »
The Mccanns employed metardo3, who had no experience in finding missing children.

They promised, 'she'd be home for Christmas', the same year.

The same company who have committed criminal acts and found guilty.

Now why wouldn't you employ someone who new what they were doing and had expertise ?

Metodo3 did not promise to have Madeline home for Christmas.  They said that they hoped they would.

They proved as capable as Cameron in a brewery.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:35:03 PM by John »

registrar

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 03:38:56 PM »
Not a Cameron - fan myself

But you would have done better than any detective agency?

Explain please - after all you are the Academic

icabodcrane

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 03:53:37 PM »
Could or should the McCann's have done anything differently?

Many of us are parents but few or any of us have suffered the pain of losing a child.  To then not know if that child is alive or dead must be intolerable.

My question is aimed at everyone, pros and [ censored word].  (God I hate that those tags)

Anyway, we have heard much about what Kate and Gerry did or didn't do after the police were called to Apartment 5a so how could they have improved on this?

Was there anything they did fundamentally wrong in your view?

Excellent question John  ...  this thread could run and run   (  I don't like the anti/pro labels either  ) 

The first thing I thought of when pondering what the McCanns could/should  have done differently was the release of information about Madeleine's coloboma

The police,  very properly in my view,  warned that publicizing such a distinguishing feature would place the child's life at immediate risk  .... that the kidnapper,  realising the child was so immediately recognisable,  might panic,  kill her, and dump the body

The McCanns,  aware of that possibility,  released the information anyway

I never could understand that

registrar

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 04:00:04 PM »
valid point

a distinguishing mark - revealed to the great unwashed

WHY

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 04:03:51 PM »

It would have taken any abductor about ten seconds flat to notice.  So why hide it.  If in fact it was The McCanns who initially released this information.

registrar

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 04:22:03 PM by John »

icabodcrane

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 04:24:39 PM »

It would have taken any abductor about ten seconds flat to notice.  So why hide it.  If in fact it was The McCanns who initially released this information.

A couple of quotes:

Carlos Anjos  ( Policia Judiciaria )

"If that situation had been of an abduction, it would have been terrible for the child. Because if that child were to be sold, or something else .... she was as good as .... it was her death sentence. That situation, that day, advertising that photo, was simply the death sentence of that child"

Gerry McCann

"We thought it was possible this could hurt her. Her abductor might do something to her eye.  But in marketing terms it was a good ploy"

Offline gilet

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 05:11:43 PM »
Could or should the McCann's have done anything differently?

Many of us are parents but few or any of us have suffered the pain of losing a child.  To then not know if that child is alive or dead must be intolerable.

My question is aimed at everyone, pros and [ censored word].  (God I hate that those tags)

Anyway, we have heard much about what Kate and Gerry did or didn't do after the police were called to Apartment 5a so how could they have improved on this?

Was there anything they did fundamentally wrong in your view?

Excellent question John  ...  this thread could run and run   (  I don't like the anti/pro labels either  ) 

The first thing I thought of when pondering what the McCanns could/should  have done differently was the release of information about Madeleine's coloboma

The police,  very properly in my view,  warned that publicizing such a distinguishing feature would place the child's life at immediate risk  .... that the kidnapper,  realising the child was so immediately recognisable,  might panic,  kill her, and dump the body

The McCanns,  aware of that possibility,  released the information anyway

I never could understand that

It was not the McCanns who initially released this information. It was first done in a press release by the Policia Judiciara on the second day after the disappearance.

"The Policia Judiciaria requests information about the whereabouts of Madeleine Beth McCann, born on 12-05-2003 (three years old) with the following physical characteristics: 90 cm in height, light chestnut/blond hair, blue/green left eye and a green right eye with a brown mark in the pupil."

01 Processos Vol I Page 33 B

It would be interesting if you could please provide a source for your claim:

"The police,  very properly in my view,  warned that publicizing such a distinguishing feature would place the child's life at immediate risk  .... that the kidnapper,  realising the child was so immediately recognisable,  might panic,  kill her, and dump the body."

Though I have seen that declared frequently, so far no-one has managed to provide a source for the claim.

As it directly contradicts the fact that the Policia Judiciara themselves released the information within 48 hours of the disappearance I think it is important that some source is provided or it simply should be treated as yet another myth.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 05:18:41 PM »

I thought so, Gilet.  It was The PJ who released information about Madeleine's eye.  And then that Portuguese Union man blamed The McCanns.
Another bloody Myth.

Offline gilet

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »

I thought so, Gilet.  It was The PJ who released information about Madeleine's eye.  And then that Portuguese Union man blamed The McCanns.
Another bloody Myth.

As I said I have never seen a quoted source from any police force which backs up the claim that icabodcrane has made. I have seen many references particularly from US police child abduction experts who say you should put out all relevant information. If there is a source which backs up icabodcrane's claim I am perfectly happy to change my mind and accept that it is not a myth. Till then...

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 05:36:28 PM »

Another bloody Myth.

As I said I have never seen a quoted source from any police force which backs up the claim that icabodcrane has made. I have seen many references particularly from US police child abduction experts who say you should put out all relevant information. If there is a source which backs up icabodcrane's claim I am perfectly happy to change my mind and accept that it is not a myth. Till then...

I am not blaming The PJ for what they did.  I only mind that it has been used as another stick with which to beat The McCanns.