Author Topic: Was Mr Smiths claim just pie in the sky after all?  (Read 108549 times)

AnneGuedes

Re: Was Mr Smiths claim just pie in the sky after all?
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 09:00:25 PM »
Seriously?

Imagine if you realised you were THE ONLY WITNESS to one of the biggest crimes of the century.

Governments of several countries are involved, millions of pounds, a little girls life, the might of Team McCann's lawyers and PR power, let alone the attention of the world and the tabloids.

I think I'd be disturbed beyond measure, if I were in his place.
I don't think that this disburbed him. Remember that he must have known why the McCanns were flying away.

Offline Benice

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 10:49:31 PM »
According to Anne - it was three days before he contacted the Garda.   That is far from 'immediately' - especially in this important context.

There are thousands of men who would match that e-fit.

BTW - If you believe the Times article about the Efits - then don't forget the following extract from it:-

There was also an uncomfortable complication with Smith’s account. He had originally told the police that he had “recognised something” about the way Gerry McCann carried one of his children which reminded him of the man he had seen in Praia da Luz.

Smith has since stressed that he does not believe the man he saw was Gerry, and Scotland Yard do not consider this a possibility. Last week the McCanns were told officially by the Portuguese authorities that they are not suspects.
Unquote

-- moderated for continuity -- SH

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 01:02:16 AM by Sherlock Holmes »
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 11:08:53 PM »

There are thousands of men who would match that E-fit.

I wonder how many of them were close to the Ocean Club around 10pm that night.

-- moderated for continuity -- SH
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 01:02:47 AM by Sherlock Holmes »
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 11:18:33 PM »
UK police communication re: Martin Smith's sighting, 20 September 2007

Origin: Mr Martin Smith Ireland.

Text: Reported that he had passed a male carrying a child in Praia da Luz the night Maddie went missing. Went and made a statement to Portugal police in Portimao on 26th May and returned to UK. Is saying that after seeing the McCanns on the news on 9th Sept when they returned to UK he has not slept and is worried sick. He states he was watching the 10 PM news on BBC and saw the McCanns getting off the plane and coming down the steps. He states it was like watching an action replay of the night he saw the male carrying the child back in Portugal. He states the way Gerry was carrying his twin triggered something in his head. It was exactly the same way and look of the male seen the night Maddie went missing . He also watched ITV news and Sky news and inferred it looked like the same person both times carrying the children.

Is asking a member of OP task ring him back. He was with group of 9 family and friends the night he saw the male in Portugal. He sounded quite worried and shaken whilst speaking to me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking from his home in Drogheda, Co. Louth, Mr Smith recalled the sighting, which is strikingly similar to one by a friend of the McCanns, Jane Tanner. In hindsight, the retired Mr Smith said, the mans rude behaviour should have aroused his suspicions.

He explained: "The one thing we noted afterwards was that he gave us no greeting.

"My wife Mary remembered afterwards that she asked him, 'Oh, is she asleep?' But he never acknowledged her one way or another.

"He just put his head down and averted his eyes. This is very unusual in a tourist town at such a quiet time of the year."
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 02:13:37 PM »
GA: Before withdrawing me from the case, a director came to see me, who knows me and who tells me, 'look you have to think that there are cases that have no solution'.

PC: But it seems to me incredible... but it seems to me inconceivable...

GA: ... I have already said so, we will arrive to where it is possible to arrive, this has not finished for us, later it turned out that I did not give an interview that was attributed to me at a given moment, it happened in an interesting moment, when we were trying to bring the Smith family to Portugal, who said that they saw Gerry McCann, with a possibility of 80%... of having seen Gerry McCann carrying an inert girl towards the beach.

CLS: An Irish family that seems that they saw the father...

PC: The Smiths...

GA: It was part of the investigation and they removed me, and three or four months passed until the Smith family speaks for the indictment, and this procedure occurs in Ireland, not in Portugal as we had wished. During this time, it is said that this family has been the object of several visits, I do not want to speak about pressures, they have been the object of visits by persons who...

PC: Two or three months passed, these Irish...

GA: ... had to change their phone number, it is said that they had to move house and resort to the services of a lawyer.

PC: As if they had received pressure …

GA: To avoid these persons... It is sad that this has happened this way, that shouldn't have happened... and now it has been withdrawn from the investigation.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Anna

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2014, 02:52:54 PM »
GA: Before withdrawing me from the case, a director came to see me, who knows me and who tells me, 'look you have to think that there are cases that have no solution'.

PC: But it seems to me incredible... but it seems to me inconceivable...

GA: ... I have already said so, we will arrive to where it is possible to arrive, this has not finished for us, later it turned out that I did not give an interview that was attributed to me at a given moment, it happened in an interesting moment, when we were trying to bring the Smith family to Portugal, who said that they saw Gerry McCann, with a possibility of 80%... of having seen Gerry McCann carrying an inert girl towards the beach.

CLS: An Irish family that seems that they saw the father...

PC: The Smiths...

GA: It was part of the investigation and they removed me, and three or four months passed until the Smith family speaks for the indictment, and this procedure occurs in Ireland, not in Portugal as we had wished. During this time, it is said that this family has been the object of several visits, I do not want to speak about pressures, they have been the object of visits by persons who...

PC: Two or three months passed, these Irish...

GA: ... had to change their phone number, it is said that they had to move house and resort to the services of a lawyer.

PC: As if they had received pressure …

GA: To avoid these persons... It is sad that this has happened this way, that shouldn't have happened... and now it has been withdrawn from the investigation.

Where is this from ?
I agree that it seems many people involved in this case, were sadly hounded by certain people. Has this line of investigation really been withdrawn? because I thought it was still ongoing.
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline John

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 03:08:44 PM »
This is a new thread with an old theme.

It is worth commenting as follows.   An Irish person holidaying in Portugal meets a stranger one night and politely asks him if the child he is carrying is asleep and she is surprised he didn't answer?  FFS...   ...it is Portugal after all  ...they speak Portuguese!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:13:25 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2014, 03:19:41 PM »

It is worth commenting as follows.   An Irish person holidaying in Portugal meets a stranger one night and politely asks him if the child he is carrying is asleep and she is surprised he didn't answer?  FFS...   ...it is Portugal after all  ...they speak Portuguese!
Everybody speaks to you in English in PDL, the tourists do it because they only know that language  (apart from their own language), and the native do it if you don't look Portuguese.

Offline John

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2014, 03:24:05 PM »
Everybody speaks to you in English in PDL, the tourists do it because they only know that language  (apart from their own language), and the native do it if you don't look Portuguese.

Is that not a somewhat overt generalisation Anne?  So every Portuguese citizen and other foreigners in PdL all speak English?   

PS.   I doubt it somehow so I will test this out when I visit the Region later this year?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:36:08 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Lyall

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2014, 03:37:41 PM »
It is a pretty strong Irish accent to be fair. >@@(*&)

Good point, John.

Lyall

« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2014, 03:45:46 PM »
Of course a strong accent may also be a reason why somebody wouldn't reply also.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2014, 03:49:02 PM »
Is that not a somewhat overt generalisation Anne?  So every Portuguese citizen and other foreigners in PdL all speak English?   

PS.   I doubt it somehow so I will test this out when I visit the Region later this year?
Test it !
I'm not speaking of the lawless region full of lairs of course !
Had had Mrs Smith the faintest idea about the northern origin of the little girl and hence of her father, she would just have said "hi" or "hello" or "good night" or "boa noite", whatever words to support the intonation of her voice which only mattered.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2014, 03:52:55 PM »
Of course a strong accent may also be a reason why somebody wouldn't reply also.
This is when you wish you can dilute your accent in words in a foreign language.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2014, 04:10:22 PM »

Running to catch the last bus was he? ?{)(**