Author Topic: Was Mr Smiths claim just pie in the sky after all?  (Read 108836 times)

Offline John

Re: Was Mr Smiths claim just pie in the sky after all?
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2014, 04:12:57 PM »
Of course a strong accent may also be a reason why somebody wouldn't reply also.

Excellent point Lyall, I have lived on the island of Ireland off and on since the mid 50's and I cannot even understand the southern brogue.  ...but then again everyone thinks I hail fae Wick.   @)(++(*

Having had business interests in Spain for many years I am always astounded when Brits out there think that locals should speak to them in English.  If a Spaniard walled into Tesco's in Luton would he expect to be greeted in Spanish?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:23:08 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Lyall

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2014, 04:23:51 PM »
Excellent point Lyall, I have lived on the island of Ireland off and on since the mid 50's and I cannot even understand the southern brogue.  ...but then again everyone thinks I hail fae Wick.   @)(++(*

Where's Mrs Smith from? Do we know? Peter Smith spoke on Sky News, and he has a strong accent, but I don't think we've ever heard the others >@@(*&)

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2014, 04:25:08 PM »

He didn't even acknowledge her in any way, he diverted his eyes and put his head down.

"As we made our way back to our apartment in Estrella da Luz, we met a guy with a child that appeared to be asleep. It looked like a blonde child, and I thought she might be four years old, as she was the same size as my grandchild who was with us. None of us was 100 per cent sure what he was wearing but we all told police he was wearing beige trousers and a darker top. We all put him in his early 40s. I didn't think he was Portuguese." (Martin Smith)

Maddie: Irishman provides dramatic new clues, 03 January 2008

http://www.mccannfiles.com/id162.html
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Lyall

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2014, 04:26:17 PM »
No reason why we should hear them of course.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2014, 04:38:20 PM »

Having had business interests in Spain for many years I am always astounded when Brits out there think that locals should speak to them in English.  If a Spaniard walled into Tesco's in Luton would he expect to be greeted in Spanish?
English has turned into a lingua franca, that's why. It's no good news for the English language to be deformed as it is in its basic English form.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2014, 04:40:54 PM »
English has turned into a lingua franca, that's why. It's no good news for the English language to be deformed as it is in its basic English form.

As with every colonial tongue.

Didn't Portuguese in Brasil and Anglola take a bit of a bashing?

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2014, 07:17:56 AM »
Who knows ? Why did Mr Smith state that Mr McCann could be Smithman ? Had he something to gain with it ? Was he paid ? If not why did he contact the Gardai and was so disturbed, according to them ?

Strange that for Mr Smith to come forward, there had to be something in it for him, yet for tourists in other countries around the world to identify MM they are being public spirited.,
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Carana

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2014, 09:41:02 AM »
Strange that for Mr Smith to come forward, there had to be something in it for him, yet for tourists in other countries around the world to identify MM they are being public spirited.,

I have never had any reason to doubt that Martin Smith was anything other than public-spirited and simply conveyed his doubt in case it could be relevant. My issue is that the suggestibility factor doesn't seem to have been taken into account by the first PJ team. And his original "60-80%" impression became progressively exaggerated: it turned into "80%"... and then to "he was sure that..." (which I would understand to be 100% certain). Depending on the various forum (and quite possibly media) accounts of this, it has morphed into the suggestion that the entire family was certain, which is far from the truth.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2014, 09:57:26 AM »
I have been pondering this entire episode yet again since it has renewed interest following DCI Redwoods Crimewatch appearance and the debacle over the hidden e-fits which team McCann sat on for several years.

You have to look at this incident logically.  The sighting of Smithman happened that's for sure, there were too many witnesses for it to have been invented.

The question now is, why did Martin Smith report it?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:00:20 AM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2014, 10:03:03 AM »
Did he report the sighting to the Irish Gardai because this chappie was a suspect or was it because he thought it was Gerry McCann?

We know that he only reported the matter once he saw Gerry walk down the aircraft steps since he claims in his statement that it was the way that Gerry was holding the child which reminded him of the earlier encounter in Praia da Luz.

After being very sure that it was Gerry McCann whom he met that night carrying a child we now are told that he has changed his mind and no longer considers this to be the case.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:24:12 AM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Lyall

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2014, 10:53:35 AM »
The family reported it first in May Angelo >@@(*&)

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2014, 11:05:39 AM »
The family reported it first in May Angelo >@@(*&)

You're correct of course.  So if he reported it on return to Ireland do we know when the first claims were made that Smithman was Gerry?

To put it another way, did the identification of Gerry only arise after the McCanns arrived home or was this accusation voiced earlier?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:07:43 AM by Angelo222 »

Je ne regrette rien!!

Lyall

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2014, 11:19:22 AM »
You're correct of course.  So if he reported it on return to Ireland do we know when the first claims were made that Smithman was Gerry?

To put it another way, did the identification of Gerry only arise after the McCanns arrived home or was this accusation voiced earlier?

Yes, after the flight back to UK.

It wasn't a strong identification even then and appears to have been changed altogether now, but clearly the family did see someone. A group of people is obviously a great deal more indicative than one person (especially when that one person didn't see a face or actually identify the child).

AnneGuedes

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2014, 11:23:17 AM »
the suggestibility factor doesn't seem to have been taken into account by the first PJ team.
But not by the second one ?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2014, 11:27:16 AM »

After being very sure that it was Gerry McCann whom he met that night carrying a child we now are told that he has changed his mind and no longer considers this to be the case.
By whom ?