Author Topic: Jeremy Corbyn for PM!!  (Read 240638 times)

Offline Eleanor

Re: Jeremy Corbyn for PM!!
« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2015, 11:49:55 AM »
How does singing the National Anthem demonstrate respect for those who died? I thought it demonstrated support for the Monarchy?

Then you don't understand The National Anthem.  The operative word is "National."

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #151 on: September 16, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »
Why don't you ask that question of the 90+ year old ex-servicemen who were there?  One or two of them seemed to have firm views on the matter.

The firmness of an opinion has no bearing whatsoever on the correctness of it. If Corbyn, as a republican, had sung the anthem he would have been castigated by the press for being a hypocrite. We have enough hypocrites already, thanks.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

stephen25000

« Reply #152 on: September 16, 2015, 12:01:35 PM »
The firmness of an opinion has no bearing whatsoever on the correctness of it. If Corbyn, as a republican, had sung the anthem he would have been castigated by the press for being a hypocrite. We have enough hypocrites already, thanks.

Indeed.

I totally agree.

As to the monarchy, someone once said to the effect, though I can't recall who, 'they are the largest monetary recipients of the benefits system'.

The actual words were stronger than that, but would have been deleted.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #153 on: September 16, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »
Then you don't understand The National Anthem.  The operative word is "National."

Read it. All about the Monarchy and nationalism with a little nod to brotherly love in verse 4. Do you like verse 6?

1. God save our gracious Queen
Long live our noble Queen
God save the Queen
Send her victorious
Happy and glorious
Long to reign over us
God save the Queen
2. O Lord our God arise
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall
Confound their politics
Frustrate their knavish tricks
On Thee our hopes we fix
God save us all
3. Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour
Long may she reign
May she defend our laws
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice
God save the Queen
4. Not in this land alone
But be God's mercies known
From shore to shore
Lord make the nations see
That men should brothers be
And form one family
The wide world over
5. From every latent foe,
From the assassins blow,
God save the Queen!
O'er her thine arm extend,
For Britain's sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!
6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the Queen!
Result = happy posting.

Lyall

« Reply #154 on: September 16, 2015, 12:30:12 PM »
Well, I am a teensy bit pissed off by the fact that he refused to sing The National Anthem.  Okay, I am a Royalist, but this was simply respect for those who died to give him the right to be who he is.

&%&£(+ And also the right not to sing the anthem.

Especially those killed or maimed in our many wars who were republicans. They are respected by not singing that dreadful anthem.

stephen25000

« Reply #155 on: September 16, 2015, 12:38:20 PM »
Now what does the bible say about worshiping false gods ?

Also, in regards to not putting one man (or woman) above others.

and why should 'God save our gracious queen' ?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #156 on: September 16, 2015, 12:41:00 PM »
&%&£(+ And also the right not to sing the anthem.

Especially those killed or maimed in our many wars who were republicans. They are respected by not singing that dreadful anthem.

The rights enjoyed by British citizens exist because people fought for them against an absolute Monarchy and an entrenched upper class. They were not granted to them from the goodness of the Monarch's heart.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #157 on: September 16, 2015, 12:45:55 PM »
Indeed.

I totally agree.

As to the monarchy, someone once said to the effect, though I can't recall who, 'they are the largest monetary recipients of the benefits system'.

The actual words were stronger than that, but would have been deleted.

The Monarchy, many moons ago, handed over vast amounts of Crown Property to The Government in exchange for The Civil List.  This was a Contract which cannot be abnegated.  The Government receives far more income from these Crown Properties than are spent on The Civil List.
So let's get some facts right here.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #158 on: September 16, 2015, 12:49:15 PM »

I despair.  Have your Republic for all I care.  Elect Blair or Corbyn and then see.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #159 on: September 16, 2015, 12:55:29 PM »
He may like to think he made a principled stand, but  I'm afraid (read - glad) it won't be a vote winner, this anti-monarchist stance of his.  Most people (IMO) want a leader of Britain who has some pride in their country, and who respects British tradition and customs, and he clearly isn't and doesn't. 

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #160 on: September 16, 2015, 12:57:33 PM »
Anyway, PMQs anyone?  I thought Jezzer rather handed it to the PM on a plate but no doubt the Corbynistas viewed it as a marvellous victory for their man.

Lyall

« Reply #161 on: September 16, 2015, 12:58:05 PM »
The rights enjoyed by British citizens exist because people fought for them against an absolute Monarchy and an entrenched upper class. They were not granted to them from the goodness of the Monarch's heart.

8@??)( Well said.

Lyall

« Reply #162 on: September 16, 2015, 01:03:11 PM »
He may like to think he made a principled stand, but  I'm afraid (read - glad) it won't be a vote winner, this anti-monarchist stance of his.  Most people (IMO) want a leader of Britain who has some pride in their country, and who respects British tradition and customs, and he clearly isn't and doesn't.

We do have pride in the country, but that pride is looking to it's future, not in constantly celebrating a heavily censored view of the past.

Cameron fetishes the military, just like Blair did, and they do it to assist them in avoiding responsibility for their disastrous actions in Iraq, Libya and other places.

Lyall

« Reply #163 on: September 16, 2015, 01:07:25 PM »
I despair.  Have your Republic for all I care.  Elect Blair or Corbyn and then see.

&%+((£ There's no chance right now of getting rid of the royals. But isn't it high time republicans didn't have to hide their opinions? Politicians, governments and people have been wrapping themselves in the flag and appealing to ill-informed 'patriots' for far too long.

Lyall

« Reply #164 on: September 16, 2015, 01:11:12 PM »
Anyway, PMQs anyone?  I thought Jezzer rather handed it to the PM on a plate but no doubt the Corbynistas viewed it as a marvellous victory for their man.

It's not going to be his strength. Cameron is without doubt a very proficient politician (aka spinner). Shame he's such a weak PM though.