Author Topic: Barry George revisited.  (Read 169310 times)

Offline Nicholas

Re: Barry George revisited.
« Reply #390 on: April 24, 2019, 09:40:59 AM »
“The expression ‘wrongful convictions’ is not a legal term of art and it has no settled meaning. Plainly the expression includes the conviction of those who are innocent of the crime of which they have been convicted. But in ordinary parlance the expression would, I think, be extended to those who, whether guilty or not, should clearly not have been convicted at their trials. It is impossible and unnecessary to identify the manifold reasons why a defendant may be convicted when he should not have been. It may be because the evidence against him was fabricated or perjured. It may be because flawed expert evidence was relied on to secure conviction. It may be because evidence helpful to the defence was concealed or withheld. It may be because the jury was the subject of malicious interference. It may be because of judicial unfairness or misdirection. In cases of this kind, it may, or more often may not, be possible to say that a defendant is innocent, but it is possible to say that he has been wrongly convicted. The common factor in such cases is that something has gone seriously wrong in the investigation of the offence or the conduct of the trial, resulting in the conviction of someone who should not have been convicted.

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2010-0046-judgment.pdf
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #391 on: April 24, 2019, 09:55:23 AM »
Re Barry George

80. One might have thought at first sight that, when applications for compensation were made to the Secretary of State, such simple wording could be applied to each case without much difficulty. But that has proved not to be the case, as can be seen from the speeches in R (Mullen) v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2005] 1 AC 1, where the meaning of the words “miscarriage of justice” was under scrutiny. Lord Bingham said that he would hesitate to accept the submission of the Secretary of State that section 133 obliged him to pay compensation only when a defendant, finally acquitted in the circumstances satisfying the statutory conditions, is shown beyond reasonable doubt to be innocent of the crime of which he had been convicted: para 9. Lord Steyn, on the other hand, said that the words “miscarriage of justice” extend only to cases where the person concerned is acknowledged to be clearly innocent: para 56.

A fresh analysis
96. If one accepts, as I would do, Lord Bingham’s reasons for doubting whether Lord Steyn was right to find support for his reading of article 14(6) in the French text and in para 25 of the explanatory committee’s report on article 3 of the Seventh Protocol, one is driven back to the language of the article itself as to what the words “miscarriage of justice” mean. Taken by itself this phrase can have a wide meaning. It is the sole ground on which convictions can be brought under review of the High Court of Justiciary in Scotland: Criminal Procedure (Scotland) Act 1995, section 106(3). But the fact that these words are linked to what is shown “conclusively” by a new or newly discovered fact clearly excludes cases where there may have been a wrongful conviction and the court is persuaded on this ground only that it is unsafe. It clearly includes cases where the innocence of the defendant is clearly demonstrated. But the article does not state in terms that the only criterion is innocence. Indeed, the test of “innocence” had appeared in previous drafts but it was not adopted. I would hold, in agreement with Lord Phillips (see para 55 above) that it includes also cases where the new or newly discovered fact shows that the evidence against the defendant has been so undermined that no conviction could possibly be based upon it. In that situation it will have been shown conclusively that the defendant had no case to answer, so the prosecution should not have been brought in the first place

97. There is an important difference between these two categories. It is one thing to be able to assert that the defendant is clearly innocent. Cases of that kind
Page 34
have become more common and much more easily recognised since the introduction into the criminal courts, long after article 14(6) of the ICCPR was ratified in 1976, of DNA evidence. It seems unlikely that the possibility of demonstrating innocence in this way was contemplated when the test in article 14(6) was being formulated. Watson and Crick published their discovery of the double helix in 1951, but DNA profiling was not developed until 1984 and it was not until 1988 that it was used to convict Colin Pitchfork and to clear the prime suspect in the Enderby Murders case. The state should not, of course, subject those who are clearly innocent to punishment and it is clearly right that they should be compensated if it does so. But it is just as clear that it should not subject to the criminal process those against whom a prosecution would be bound to fail because the evidence was so undermined that no conviction could possibly be based upon it. If the new or newly discovered fact shows conclusively that the case was of that kind, it would seem right in principle that compensation should be payable even though it is not possible to say that the defendant was clearly innocent. I do not think that the wording of article 14(6) excludes this, and it seems to me that its narrowly circumscribed language permits it.

98. The range of cases that will fall into the category that I have just described is limited by the requirement that directs attention only to the evidence which was the basis for the conviction and asks whether the new or newly discovered fact has completely undermined that evidence. It is limited also by the fact that the new or newly discovered fact must be the reason for reversing the conviction. This suggests that it must be the sole reason, but I do not see the fact that the appellate court may have given several reasons for reversing the conviction as presenting a difficulty. All the other reasons that it has given will have to be disregarded. The question will be whether the new or newly discovered fact, taken by itself, was enough to show conclusively that there was a miscarriage of justice because no conviction could possibly have been based on the evidence which was used to obtain it.

99. For these reasons it is plain that category 1 in Dyson LJ’s list (see para 83, above) falls within the scope of section 133. I think that it is equally plain that category 4 (Lord Bingham’s second limb) does not, as it is taken from para 4 of Lord Bingham’s speech in Mullen where he was discussing what was included within the phrase “wrongful convictions”, not what was meant by section 133. This leaves category 2, where the “fresh evidence” shows that the defendant was wrongly convicted in the sense that, had the fresh evidence been available, no reasonable jury could properly have convicted; and category 3, where the “fresh evidence” is such that the conviction cannot be regarded as safe, but the court cannot say that no fair-minded jury could properly convict if there were to be a trial which included the fresh evidence. Bearing in mind that we must form our own view as to what section 133 means, can the wording of that section on a correct understanding of article 14(6) include either or both of these categories?

100. I have put the words “fresh evidence”, which of course echo the wording of section 23 of the Criminal Appeal Act 1968 (see also section 106(3) of the Criminal Procedure (Scotland) Act 1995), into inverted commas because they depart from the words of section 133. The statute, like article 14(6), refers to a new, or newly discovered “fact”, not to fresh evidence. And it must be a fact which shows beyond reasonable doubt, or “conclusively”, that there was a miscarriage of justice. Fresh evidence does not attain that status until the matter to which it relates has been proved or has been admitted to be true. Fresh evidence that justifies the conclusion referred to in category 3 will usually not be, and certainly need not be, of that character. If it shows that the conviction is merely unsafe, the court may order a retrial. Under our system of trial by jury there will be no way of knowing, beyond reasonable doubt, whether it was a new or newly discovered fact that led to the acquittal. For these reasons I would exclude category 3 from the scope of section 133.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:09:34 AM by Nicholas »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #392 on: April 24, 2019, 10:21:45 AM »
Anyone still interested in this case will form their own conclusions as to what occurred and who if anyone was to blame for this perceived miscarriage of justice. All anyone requires are the facts.

248. The requirement is that a “miscarriage of justice” must be demonstrated “beyond reasonable doubt”. In my view the use of this phrase was deliberate and significant. The phrase is not relevant to the evidential question whether the conviction has been reversed and it is not directed to any individual feature or aspect of the investigation or trial processes. If the reversal of the conviction alone were sufficient, that fact would be proved beyond reasonable doubt by the court record, and if any specific feature of the investigation or trial processes were relevant, appropriate provision could readily have been made in section 133 itself. Instead the phrase describes the characteristics or attributes of the “miscarriage of justice” which must be established. The word “conclusively” in article 14(6) was not repeated. Rather the familiar description of the standard of proof in criminal cases and, significantly in the context of a claim for the payment of compensation (normally a civil claim), the standard normally applied to the prosecution in the criminal justice process was imposed on the defendant. For this purpose the balance of probabilities was expressly ignored. Accordingly, for section 133 to apply, following a conviction of an offence which was proved beyond reasonable doubt, the emergence of a new or newly discovered fact should demonstrate not only that the conviction was unsafe, or that the investigative or trial processes were defective, but that justice had surely miscarried. In the present context, the ultimate and sure miscarriage of justice is the conviction and incarceration of the truly innocent.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #393 on: April 24, 2019, 10:29:53 AM »
248. The requirement is that a “miscarriage of justice” must be demonstrated “beyond reasonable doubt”. In my view the use of this phrase was deliberate and significant. The phrase is not relevant to the evidential question whether the conviction has been reversed and it is not directed to any individual feature or aspect of the investigation or trial processes. If the reversal of the conviction alone were sufficient, that fact would be proved beyond reasonable doubt by the court record, and if any specific feature of the investigation or trial processes were relevant, appropriate provision could readily have been made in section 133 itself. Instead the phrase describes the characteristics or attributes of the “miscarriage of justice” which must be established. The word “conclusively” in article 14(6) was not repeated. Rather the familiar description of the standard of proof in criminal cases and, significantly in the context of a claim for the payment of compensation (normally a civil claim), the standard normally applied to the prosecution in the criminal justice process was imposed on the defendant. For this purpose the balance of probabilities was expressly ignored. Accordingly, for section 133 to apply, following a conviction of an offence which was proved beyond reasonable doubt, the emergence of a new or newly discovered fact should demonstrate not only that the conviction was unsafe, or that the investigative or trial processes were defective, but that justice had surely miscarried. In the present context, the ultimate and sure miscarriage of justice is the conviction and incarceration of the truly innocent.

In the case of Barry George there has never been an emergence of a new or newly discovered fact to demonstrate his original conviction was unsafe, or that the investigative or trial processes were defective, nor that justice had surely miscarried.

This was not a malicious prosecution as has been asserted by his sister Michelle Diskin Bates. 

There is no evidence whatsoever to demonstrate something was seriously wrong in the police investigation nor of the conduct of the trial.

What there has been however is a quite apparent, cleverly crafted, self serving, smoke and mirrors “innocence campaign” running - designed to deceive, confuse and manipulate the unsuspecting public (including some media outlets).

My opinions and my observations!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:59:05 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #394 on: April 24, 2019, 11:27:26 AM »
Where is Barry George in 2019?

“George gave an interview to the Mirror in July 2018. The newspaper reports that George had been living in Hackney, in East London, after his release, when a "chilling threat" was made against him. George told the Mirror: "When I was in emergency accommodation in Hackney, I was stood in a long hallway and I had a gun put to my head and was told ‘Watch your back’." After this incident, George "fled to live in Ireland in 2009, saying he feared for his life and was being subjected to police harassment," the Mirror writes.

George's sister Michelle Diskin Bates published her book Stand Against Justice in October 2018, in which she revealed that her brother was still living in Ireland, due to "constant hounding from the tabloids” according to the Irish Telegraph.
https://www.bustle.com/p/where-is-barry-george-in-2019-after-his-conviction-was-overturned-he-left-the-uk-17001469

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #395 on: April 24, 2019, 11:44:11 AM »
”A Huddersfield crime expert has defended detectives who have been unable to solve the Jill Dando murder mystery. April 2019
......But Dr Jason Roach, director of Huddersfield University's Applied Criminology and Policing Centre, said British police were possibly the best in the world at tracking down murderers.

When police investigations into horrific crimes, such as the murder of television presenter Jill Dando 20 years ago, do not produce a satisfactory outcome then the likely media and public reaction is to blame the police investigation in some way.

"I don’t think this is fair.  As I said at the beginning, some crimes are just impossible to solve, however that annoys us viewers and readers of fictional crime."
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/huddersfield-crime-expert-defends-jill-16071389

Link to Dr Roach of the University of Huddersfield blog
http://blogs.hud.ac.uk/academics/2019/march/jilldandomurdercasewillneverbesolvedsaysdetective/

And this is worth a read - also by Dr Roach; The Psychology behind solving cold case homicides
https://www.hud.ac.uk/news/2019/march/cold-case-psychology-roach-huddersfield/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:53:32 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #396 on: April 24, 2019, 12:13:43 PM »
In the case of Barry George there has never been an emergence of a new or newly discovered fact to demonstrate his original conviction was unsafe, or that the investigative or trial processes were defective, nor that justice had surely miscarried.

This was not a malicious prosecution as has been asserted by his sister Michelle Diskin Bates. 

There is no evidence whatsoever to demonstrate something was seriously wrong in the police investigation nor of the conduct of the trial.

What there has been however is a quite apparent, cleverly crafted, self serving, smoke and mirrors “innocence campaign” running - designed to deceive, confuse and manipulate the unsuspecting public (including some media outlets).

From the archives

“Justice for Barry George

To all those who oppose wrongful convictions,

I am Michelle, sister of Barry George and, as you are probable aware, he was recently convicted for the murder of Jill Dando. Barry's family and friends are convinced of his innocence and are strongly campaigning to have this conviction overturned.

His appeal against this Miscarriage of Justice will be heard in the Court of Appeal on the 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th of July 2002. Barry has asked me to contact any persons/organisations with experience in the field of Miscarriages of Justice, and to this end I write to ask if you can offer support to Barry at this time.

There has been a concerted effort on the part of some of the media to actively campaign against Barry, even though he was convicted on the flimsiest of circumstantial evidence. Lies and innuendo have dogged him. None of which had anything to do with the crime he is convicted of.

Barry needs all the support we can give him, otherwise he could well spend the rest of his life in prison for a crime he did not commit. Barry will never qualify for parole because he can never say he is guilty of this crime, therefore he cannot be repentant.

As the date of Barry George's appeal draws nearer, we, Barry's family and friends, wish to reiterate our confidence in Barry's innocence and unwavering support for him at this time.

The main thrust and focus of the appeal is identification. This point has implications for every case in the future where identification is in issue. The Prosecution and police in Barry's case have sought to turn non-identifications into positive identifications, thus turning totally negative evidence into positive evidence. The appeal will deal with this approach by the Prosecution conflicting with the background-of safeguards provided by the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 procedures for parades; and the Codes of Practice governing them.

Further, we would like to take this opportunity to address the issue of the alleged taped confessions, recently referred to in the media.

It is our understanding that the Crown, after analysing these tapes,_does not intend to rely on them at the appeal in any way, shape or form.

We have never accepted there was any truth to these alleged confessions. They form part of a campaign to discredit Barry and to force a change in public opinion. The media have printed numerous articles about Barry designed to add force and credence to a murder conviction. These stories are totally unrelated to the trial and, we believe, are being used to shore up the weaknesses in this case and its lack of evidence against Barry.

The second focus of the appeal will be the scientific evidence; and the question of the requisite quality and provenance of such evidence before it can properly go before a jury. It will deal with the issues of contamination and that the police procedures in this case have led to the integrity of the vital exhibit, the coat being corrupted.

Barry's conviction is a miscarriage of justice, one of many we have seen recently, and we look forward to the day that his conviction will be overturned and his liberty restored.

Michelle Diskin
http://www.mojuk.org.uk/bulletins/barry.html

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #397 on: April 24, 2019, 12:19:59 PM »

July 2002
“Lawyers acting for the man convicted of murdering TV presenter Jill Dando will make sweeping criticisms of the trial judge at the appeal court on Monday, claiming crucial evidence should not have been put before the jury and that the guilty verdict is unsafe.
Michael Mansfield, QC, will argue that Mr Justice Gage, who presided over last year's Old Bailey trial, should not have allowed the prosecution to include forensic material or the testimony of four witnesses who partially identified the defendant Barry George at video ID parades.
The appeal against conviction is based on legal and procedural grounds rather than fresh evidence and could lead to George being freed or a retrial.
“Since George has been in jail he has been recorded at length by two other inmates talking about the murder. During one conversation, he confesses to being at the scene in Fulham, south-west London, when the shooting happened - he claimed at the trial he was at home and had never heard of Jill Dando.
However, the crown prosecution service has decided not to include the tapes in its submissions to the lord chief justice, Lord Woolf, who will be sitting with Lord Justice Henriques and Lord Justice Curtis.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/jul/13/jilldando.nickhopkins

Barry George made the same omission to his uncle, see here - http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=9318.msg522313#msg522313

Omission (law) An omission is a failure to act, which generally attracts different legal consequences from positive conduct. In the criminal law, an omission will constitute an actus reus and give rise to liability only when the law imposes a duty to act and the defendant is in breach of that duty. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omission_(law)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:35:39 PM by Nicholas »

Offline John

« Reply #398 on: April 24, 2019, 12:40:46 PM »
My own view of this case is that SY and the CPS should rightly be embarrassed by what went on.  George spent eight miserable years in prison for what was an appalling miscarriage of justice and when he was ultimately found NOT GUILTY at his retrial the State refused to pay him compensation. This was an insult to the man and an absolute disgrace.

George has had mental health issues since sustaining a head injury in his twenties, he was a bit of a dare devil back then. Laterally however, he involving himself in stalking which led to some really nasty conduct towards women which must be rightly deplored, his sister's attempts to play down those incidents was wrong IMO.

That doesn't in any way make him a murderer however, the jury at his retrial was right to find him not guilty IMO.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:45:29 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #399 on: April 24, 2019, 12:41:08 PM »
I have taken the time to edit this thread back several weeks and in doing so have found far too much repetition in much of the content. This has now been expunged. Repeated posting of such content will see this thread closed down or even removed.

Cull away John, your forum your rules. It’s a shame however this case hasn’t been allowed it’s own board and varying threads. It’s difficult, as I’m sure you know, to go searching through pages and pages of previous posts.

I have attempted to start new threads in the past but moderation has dictated otherwise. Posters have been interested in this thread, as can be seen by the page views and a few posters have made comments.

Maybe it’s something you will consider?

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #400 on: April 24, 2019, 12:42:40 PM »
My own view of this case is that SY and the CPS should rightly be embarrassed by what went on.   disgrace.

Why should SY and the CPS be embarrassed? Can you give examples to explain what you mean by disgrace?

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #401 on: April 24, 2019, 12:44:52 PM »
George has had mental health issues since sustaining a head injury in his twenties, he was a bit of a dare devil back then.

There is no factual evidence he suffered a head injury in his 20’s, just speculation - even from the experts.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #402 on: April 24, 2019, 12:47:07 PM »
George spent eight miserable years in prison for what was an appalling miscarriage of justice

You really ought read and absorb the supreme courts rulings regarding this

Offline John

« Reply #403 on: April 24, 2019, 12:49:43 PM »
Cull away John, your forum your rules. It’s a shame however this case hasn’t been allowed it’s own board and varying threads. It’s difficult, as I’m sure you know, to go searching through pages and pages of previous posts.

I have attempted to start new threads in the past but moderation has dictated otherwise. Posters have been interested in this thread, as can be seen by the page views and a few posters have made comments.

Maybe it’s something you will consider?

If there is sufficient interest in the case then it can be upgraded to its own board.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #404 on: April 24, 2019, 12:51:10 PM »
Laterally however, he involving himself in stalking which led to some really nasty conduct towards women which must be rightly deplored, his sister's attempts to play down those incidents was wrong IMO.

Why do you think his sister makes excuses for and plays down her brothers deplorable behaviours?