Author Topic: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?  (Read 112002 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?
« Reply #780 on: May 18, 2020, 03:38:26 PM »
I think i know what the main issue was and so do you....

I don't, could you remind me?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #781 on: May 18, 2020, 05:49:20 PM »
I don't, could you remind me?

Free movement and access to the benefit system.
Nothing wrong with immigration.... But not free movement

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #782 on: May 18, 2020, 06:14:41 PM »
Why was it a bad idea to join? And what are the advantages of leaving?
It’s a redundant discussion now, we’re leaving (probably without a trade deal) and we have to make the best of it somehow.  No use crying over spilt milk imo.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #783 on: May 18, 2020, 06:40:55 PM »
It’s a redundant discussion now, we’re leaving (probably without a trade deal) and we have to make the best of it somehow.  No use crying over spilt milk imo.

No, but there is Brexit plus Covid to deal with. Wouldn't it make more sense to request an extension to Brexit in order to deal with Covid first?

Offline Carana

« Reply #784 on: May 18, 2020, 06:48:37 PM »
Free movement and access to the benefit system.
Nothing wrong with immigration.... But not free movement

Sorry, Davel, I'm not following.

Are you saying that UK nationals shouldn't be allowed to move to anywhere else in Europe and benefit from the reciprocal agreements in place?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #785 on: May 18, 2020, 06:50:53 PM »
No, but there is Brexit plus Covid to deal with. Wouldn't it make more sense to request an extension to Brexit in order to deal with Covid first?

Absolutely Carana but I fear covid19 will be used as the ideal scapegoat when the economy tanks after a no deal Brexit.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #786 on: May 18, 2020, 06:55:00 PM »
From a Brexiteers point of view - no.  Covid provides the perfect cover for it when it all goes tits up.   And if you’re going to have the worst recession ever, may as well really make a proper job of it.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #787 on: May 18, 2020, 06:57:58 PM »

Are you saying that UK nationals shouldn't be allowed to move to anywhere else in Europe and benefit from the reciprocal agreements in place?
You can go live anywhere in the world you like but you will have to jump through alot more hoops now if you want to live and work in Europe. 

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #788 on: May 18, 2020, 07:04:10 PM »

I don't think you are being serious. As part of the EU there was total free movement without control...thats what I feel many UK citizens objected to. Post brexit it will be up to individual countries to decide who they want.

Offline Carana

« Reply #789 on: May 18, 2020, 07:36:36 PM »
Absolutely Carana but I fear covid19 will be used as the ideal scapegoat when the economy tanks after a no deal Brexit.

That seems fairly obvious to me as well. The "don't look here, look over there" approach to politics.

In the meantime, a no-deal Brexit seems to be passing unnoticed. The sorry fact is that Brexit isn't just about trade, it's about all the reciprocal arrangements, with a vast UK presence, that just won't exist any more.

I don't claim that the EU is perfect - far from it - but that it would have been easier to reform from the inside than be left isolated and at the mercy of others.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #790 on: May 18, 2020, 07:40:00 PM »
That seems fairly obvious to me as well. The "don't look here, look over there" approach to politics.

In the meantime, a no-deal Brexit seems to be passing unnoticed. The sorry fact is that Brexit isn't just about trade, it's about all the reciprocal arrangements, with a vast UK presence, that just won't exist any more.

I don't claim that the EU is perfect - far from it - but that it would have been easier to reform from the inside than be left isolated and at the mercy of others.

Thats your opinion...we will just have to see. My opinion is that when Cameron tried to reform he was given short shrift. Will the Uk be better out of the EU....probably not short term...but i think long term it will be. We will just have to wait and see.

Offline Carana

« Reply #791 on: May 18, 2020, 07:46:00 PM »
I don't think you are being serious. As part of the EU there was total free movement without control...thats what I feel many UK citizens objected to. Post brexit it will be up to individual countries to decide who they want.

No controls about what?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #792 on: May 18, 2020, 07:47:30 PM »
Thats your opinion...we will just have to see. My opinion is that when Cameron tried to reform he was given short shrift. Will the Uk be better out of the EU....probably not short term...but i think long term it will be. We will just have to wait and see.

Perhaps Cameron just wasn’t very good at negotiating.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #793 on: May 18, 2020, 07:57:04 PM »
No controls about what?

what do you think free movement means...what do you think controlled immigration means...

Online Wonderfulspam

« Reply #794 on: May 18, 2020, 08:44:13 PM »
You can go live anywhere in the world you like but you will have to jump through alot more hoops now if you want to live and work in Europe.

Unless you black yourself up & wash up on their shores in a dinghy.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.