Author Topic: Was Kate McCann right to decline to answer the 48 questions?  (Read 52043 times)

Offline Robittybob1

Re: Was Kate McCann right to decline to answer the 48 questions?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 09:32:59 AM »
This has, AFAIK, several assumptions built in.

Is there a source other than Kate saying she was advised not to answer?

Was she advised question by question?  Given that she refused to answer some questions but chose to answer others.  Who advised/decided which were OK to answer?

It matters not a jot what you think the PJs motive was.  Kate had the opportunity to refute any case the PJ made and chose not to do so.  Kate had the opportunity to advance the search for Madeleine by clarifying what happened, and she chose not to do so.

It was Madeleine who got a rough deal out of this approach.
Not many posts upset me but anyone believing answering these questions was designed to assist the search for Madeleine is alien to me.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Alfie

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 09:39:49 AM »

Was she advised question by question?  Given that she refused to answer some questions but chose to answer others.  Who advised/decided which were OK to answer?

It matters not a jot what you think the PJs motive was.  Kate had the opportunity to refute any case the PJ made and chose not to do so.  Kate had the opportunity to advance the search for Madeleine by clarifying what happened, and she chose not to do so.

What areas of what happened had Kate not already clarified to the PJ before, do you think?  Gerry answered all the questions put to him - how did that help the PJ to find out what happened to Madeleine?

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 10:03:56 AM »
Not many posts upset me but anyone believing answering these questions was designed to assist the search for Madeleine is alien to me.
Why does one care if one assesses the questions as 'designed to assist' or not?  The opportunity existed for Kate to influence PJ thinking.  She did not take it.  Or rather, her influence was negative.

I had a rather curious incident about a month ago.  I was 'accused' by a neighbour of ringing his door bell and then departing.  Quite clearly, my neighbour believed I had done this.  I took the opportunity to assert that I had not touched his door bell (which was true) and he was forced to accept this.  What he thinks internally - who knows.

Kate's situation was the same, though obviously more important.  If she had done a Gerry and answered all the questions, then it may have influenced the investigation in a positive manner.  As she didn't answer most of the questions, we will never know.
What's up, old man?

Offline The Singularity

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 10:07:22 AM »

Kate's situation was the same, though obviously more important.  If she had done a Gerry and answered all the questions, then it may have influenced the investigation in a positive manner.  As she didn't answer most of the questions, we will never know.

It's not really, if your neighbor still didn't believe you they wouldn't be able to detain you or keep hauling you into the house asking the same questions in different ways. Plus a life wasn't at stake it's just a door bell

Offline Benice

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 10:10:32 AM »

I'm afraid my faith in the PJ to accept any answers that didn't suit their agenda is zero.

We are dealing with police officers who actually consider that wearing a black top is a sign of guilt and who changed the whole direction of a case on the strength of a dream.   It would appear from some of the questions that 'gossip' is also considered to be important.

If that is what constitutes evidence to the PJ then it hardly inspires confidence in Kate getting a fair hearing IMO.

Their objective was to find a reason to pin the crime on Kate.   Anyone who thinks she should have helped them to do that needs a reality check IMO.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 10:13:55 AM »
What areas of what happened had Kate not already clarified to the PJ before, do you think?  Gerry answered all the questions put to him - how did that help the PJ to find out what happened to Madeleine?
Are you being serious?

Given that Kate is on record as one short interview on 4 May plus half an interview the day before being made an arguido, given that Kate made the discovery, the answer to your first question is blindingly obvious.

Gerry's influence on the PJ thinking is not on file.  We could play the speculation game on that point all day long and not make progress.  However, Kate is the one alleged to have discovered Madeleine's disappearance, so her evidence was critical.

It was an opportunity to progress the search for the truth about Madeleine.  Madeleine's mother balked at this opportunity.
What's up, old man?

Alfie

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 10:21:41 AM »
Are you being serious?

Given that Kate is on record as one short interview on 4 May plus half an interview the day before being made an arguido, given that Kate made the discovery, the answer to your first question is blindingly obvious.

Gerry's influence on the PJ thinking is not on file.  We could play the speculation game on that point all day long and not make progress.  However, Kate is the one alleged to have discovered Madeleine's disappearance, so her evidence was critical.

It was an opportunity to progress the search for the truth about Madeleine.  Madeleine's mother balked at this opportunity.
Yes I am serious.  The only way Kate could have provided information to assist the police in finding Madeleine that she had not already given them is if she actually had some knowledge about where Madeleine had gone.  Do you think she possesses such information?

Alfie

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 10:23:56 AM »
For example - Madeleine's sleeping habits at home or relationship with her mother - what relevance would this be in the case of stranger abduction?  They are only relevant if Kate is somehow involved.  Assuming Kate is not involved why should she answer such questions, and how does answering them help find an abductor?

Alfie

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 10:25:51 AM »
Assuming Kate did not have a hand in her child's disappearance but imagine for a moment she answered - "yes Madeleine was a difficult child and had sleep problems" - there we have the beginnings of a glimmer of a motive.  Leading questions designed to self-incriminate.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 10:27:50 AM »
Assuming Kate did not have a hand in her child's disappearance but imagine for a moment she answered - "yes Madeleine was a difficult child and had sleep problems" - there we have the beginnings of a glimmer of a motive.  Leading questions designed to self-incriminate.

Gerry answered all the questions put to him and I believe he is still a free man.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 10:28:56 AM »
It's not really, if your neighbor still didn't believe you they wouldn't be able to detain you or keep hauling you into the house asking the same questions in different ways. Plus a life wasn't at stake it's just a door bell
Unfortunately, your post is high on emotion and low on fact.

First, prior to being made arguidos, the McCanns had published that they were returning to England.  If they had done this move a bit faster, it is probable that they would not have been made arguidos.

Second, having been made arguidos, they were not restricted in their movement.  Specifically, they were free to return to England, and that is what they rapidly did.

Third, a life was at stake.  Madeleine's, not Kate's.

If you wish to defend a mother who spurned the opportunity to advance the search for Madeleine, go for it.  This tells me that you are raising Kate's circumstances above those of Madeleine.  And that is an arrangement I firmly reject.
What's up, old man?

Alfie

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 10:38:47 AM »
Gerry answered all the questions put to him and I believe he is still a free man.
Indeed he is, well spotted.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 10:39:19 AM »
I'm afraid my faith in the PJ to accept any answers that didn't suit their agenda is zero.

We are dealing with police officers who actually consider that wearing a black top is a sign of guilt and who changed the whole direction of a case on the strength of a dream.   It would appear from some of the questions that 'gossip' is also considered to be important.

If that is what constitutes evidence to the PJ then it hardly inspires confidence in Kate getting a fair hearing IMO.

Their objective was to find a reason to pin the crime on Kate.   Anyone who thinks she should have helped them to do that needs a reality check IMO.
Another post high on emotion and low on fact.  Where to begin?

Your opinion of what the PJ would and would not 'accept' is irrelevant, as is mine.  As is Kate's.  As is her lawyer's.

She was with her lawyer, so any process had to be legal, unless you think her lawyer was not up to the mark.

It matters not a jot what the aim of the PJ was.  It was an opportunity to progress the truth about Madeleine.  An opportunity which Kate spurned.

Kate put Kate above Madeleine.
What's up, old man?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 10:45:35 AM »
Indeed he is, well spotted.

Then it would have been different for Kate because.......?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Alfie

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 10:50:06 AM »
Then it would have been different for Kate because.......?
I didn't say it would be different.  Gerry chose to answer the questions, his prerogative.  Clearly he didn't give the PJ any ammunition, he obviously played a blinder.  Well done Gerry.  8@??)(