Author Topic: Social Workers under fire over Mikaeel Kular case  (Read 16819 times)

Offline Mr Moderator

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:22:33 AM by Mr Moderator »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

Re: Social Workers under fire over Mikaeel Kular case
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 03:38:41 PM »
It is being revealed that there seems to be a history of care issues pertaining to family Kular.

Fife social services appear to have had considerable involvement with the family in the years prior to Mikaeel's death, and with Mikaeel in particular.

It appears on the face of it that these concerns were not followed through upon the family's relocation to Edinburgh, though perhaps more information will become available on this in time.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10585878/Mikaeel-Kular-was-put-into-foster-care-.html

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 01:00:34 AM »
Reading between the lines there appears to have been a problem in transferring the social work files from Fife Council to City of Edinburgh Council.  It could be that the family simply went of the radar when they moved to Edinburgh last summer.

Frankly, I don't know how she coped with five youngsters on her own and carry on a beautician business at the same time??  I will add that she is alleged to be pregnant again!   Could this and the murder of her friend have pushed her over the edge?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:05:38 AM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline John

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 01:11:13 AM »
Reading between the lines there appears to have been a problem in transferring the social work files from Fife Council to City of Edinburgh Council.  It could be that the family simply went of the radar when they moved to Edinburgh last summer.

Frankly, I don't know how she coped with five youngsters on her own and carry on a beautician business at the same time??  I will add that she is alleged to be pregnant again!   Could this and the murder of her friend have pushed her over the edge?

You can't blame the social workers when someone up-sticks and moves without registering elsewhere.  Seems strange to have moved away from her family support network in Kirkcaldy, maybe she moved to Edinburgh to get more work.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:14:07 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 01:19:23 AM »

It seems a bit strange that files would not be transferred as a matter of course from one council to another with regard to such a serious matter. Perhaps CPN or someone involved in social work can tell us what the usual procedures might be and where things might have gone awry this time.

Regarding the ability to cope, I know a number of mothers with large families who also work, and they do manage it. Some if not all of the children are at school for several hours a day, and often there is extended family support.  These things seemed to be in place here. On the face of it, Mikaeel's mother presumably would not have opted to have a sixth child - if that information is correct - if she did not feel able to cope with five. That being said, she was clearly struggling.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 05:11:59 AM by Sherlock Holmes »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 01:30:42 AM »
You can't blame the social workers when someone up-sticks and moves without registering elsewhere.  Seems strange to have moved away from her family support network in Kirkcaldy, maybe she moved to Edinburgh to get more work.

Is it as straightforward as that, John?  Surely in a case where a child's welfare was being severely compromised, authorities would want to keep in regular contact with the family and would note the fact that the they had disappeared from the radar. Wouldn't that in itself be a cause for concern?

It is possible that the mother moved to Edinburgh for a job - or for a less innocent reason.

It seems significant to me that this woman appeared to have taken a very different direction in life from her middle-class, educated parents, as had the guy she was having a relationship with before he was killed earlier this year. He was the son of a prominent religious community leader (muslim) at the large mosque in Edinburgh, yet seemed to frequent the pubs and clubs and worse, eventually being shot to death in gang warfare.

Both of them seemed to have taken a bad turn in life. She presents herself on social media as quite a flippant, irresponsible person despite all the pictures of the kids. Something must have happened in her life that set it on such a different and unfortunate course.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:36:59 AM by Sherlock Holmes »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 05:09:34 AM »
Another possibility is that she left for Edinburgh in order to avoid social services in Fife.

It seems odd that she chose to leave the place where she had family support and assistance, with a growing family of five children in tow, including two small toddlers who were clearly objects of burden for her. 

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 06:59:53 AM »
Maybe she moved because she wanted a new start. Who knows....is it important really?

The problems with Mikaeel were in Fife, she had been moved 18 months hadnt she and no one is coming forward saying they thought there was a problem with the boy. He seemed happy in photos.

We have to wait now and see what transpires.

I wonder more likely if she had PND and triggered combination of PTSD when her fella died. Dont forget the twins were 3, so she could still be suffering with PND.

PND is can be a silent killer.............

Something trigger her to harm her boy....it will be more likely to do with her head.

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 07:46:25 AM »

And as soon as she moved she got involved with a drug dealer who even took her kids to school?

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 06:07:06 PM »
And as soon as she moved she got involved with a drug dealer who even took her kids to school?

Yes, odd. Perhaps she knew him before and moved to Edinburgh to be closer to him?

AnneGuedes

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 07:57:26 PM »
How much do you get from the State per month when you have 5, 6 kids ?

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 12:35:36 AM »
How much do you get from the State per month when you have 5, 6 kids ?

I am out of date when it comes to the actual figures Anne, but it is certainly the case that with 5 or 6 children she would not be in an easy position whether in or out of work.

Benefits and maternity / employment laws for mothers with young children are nothing like they are in  France. Very little government support and legislation on these matters relative to many other European countries.  More like the American system. On top of that,  the cost of childcare for a working woman can be exceptionally high.

A mother might well be marginally better off living on benefits under those circumstances, though the benefits are minimal compared to the cost of living.

She was living in a government apartment, possibly with a rent reduction - it's hard to say. She does seem to have been employed.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 05:38:26 AM »

Why would she move from a house with a garden to a flat in a bad end of a city?

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 06:24:24 AM »
Why would she move from a house with a garden to a flat in a bad end of a city?

Maybe she had a fall out with her family?

I had the weirdest dream last night well nightmare actually. She had a hidden gun from her ex boyfriend in the house and her son found it and was shot. OMG it was so real I woke up in a sweat. It shows you how these cases can effect us doesnt it. Poor little soul.xx

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 06:52:07 PM »
Maybe she had a fall out with her family?

I had the weirdest dream last night well nightmare actually. She had a hidden gun from her ex boyfriend in the house and her son found it and was shot. OMG it was so real I woke up in a sweat. It shows you how these cases can effect us doesnt it. Poor little soul.xx

it isn't out of the question that a gun was involved..perhaps accidentally