Author Topic: McCann v Gonçalo Amaral Libel Trial in Lisbon - Day 6 (3 witnesses)  (Read 25830 times)

AnneGuedes

Re: McCann v Gonçalo Amaral Libel Trial in Lisbon - Day 6
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 04:37:48 PM »
Yes, this is the other side of the coin.

I nearly bought the book myself a couple of weeks ago, before deciding against it.
Can you read Portuguese ? or German ? or French ? I'm terribly curious, sorry !

AnneGuedes

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 04:46:05 PM »
The libel trial, if it achieves nothing else, still gets Maddie in the news. As long as she is in the news, she is not forgotten.
I don't agree with this, a fortiori after 6,5 years of the most global and unsuccessful campaign ever (which means that it is likely the first and the last, regardless of the credibility of the abduction doxa).
Do you really believe that it makes sense looking for a girl matching more or less an aged picture instead of being attentive to any child abuse that may occur around us ?
Have you read what Mrs Cameron said about the trial's effect on her nephews ? For how long do you think their parents will be able to "minimize" this ?

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 05:27:34 PM »
Why when you can download a fully searchable pdf file for both books?

I'm old-fashioned

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 05:32:51 PM »
Can you read Portuguese ? or German ? or French ? I'm terribly curious, sorry !

I can read German reasonable well, Anne, having lived in Germany for a few years.

My French is good enough to read a newspaper article, though I wouldn't attempt to read something 'important' like Amaral's book in French, where guessing at something you're not quite sure of could lead to problems. It is also a long time since I used French properly - I did spend a fair amount of time in the south, near Albi - so I am not up to date with current idioms, etc.

Portuguese I don't know at all, beyond being able to observe the similarities between Portuguese and French in many of the verbs and much of the vocabulary, from the Latin roots.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:34:39 PM by Sherlock Holmes »

Offline Aletheias footsteps

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 08:55:01 PM »
It certainly appears that the judge has read the both the book and the PJ Report:

The Judge – "A senhora pode ir à vida" = The lady may go back to her life

TC says she wishes to say something. She states that Kate studied the PJ files and the process and said it was very different from what is in the book.

SO protests and ID even more.

THE JUDGE OVERRULES SAYING THAT IT FALLS TO THE COURT TO COMPARE THE BOOK AND THE INVESTIGATION PROCESS AND SHE DOES NOT NEED THE INTERVENTION OF THE WITNESS TO DO SO.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 11:45:47 PM »
I can read German reasonable well, Anne, having lived in Germany for a few years.

My French is good enough to read a newspaper article, though I wouldn't attempt to read something 'important' like Amaral's book in French, where guessing at something you're not quite sure of could lead to problems. It is also a long time since I used French properly - I did spend a fair amount of time in the south, near Albi - so I am not up to date with current idioms, etc.

Portuguese I don't know at all, beyond being able to observe the similarities between Portuguese and French in many of the verbs and much of the vocabulary, from the Latin roots.
The French and the German translations are from Portuguese, then preferable to the English online version (from French). I wouldn't say it's well written as did Ms Stilwell, I would rather say it's not written, it doesn't pretend to be literature. I don't think you'd have difficulties reading it and it could be a pretext to brush your French or your German !
If you studied Latin, written Portuguese is no big deal, but speech is tricky, even for Hispanophones.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 12:20:23 AM »
The French and the German translations are from Portuguese, then preferable to the English online version (from French). I wouldn't say it's well written as did Ms Stilwell, I would rather say it's not written, it doesn't pretend to be literature. I don't think you'd have difficulties reading it and it could be a pretext to brush your French or your German !
If you studied Latin, written Portuguese is no big deal, but speech is tricky, even for Hispanophones.

Thanks for the advice! I will have to find time to give it a try...

Offline Luz

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 10:33:49 AM »
Thanks for Mrs. Cameron deposition that as it is usual (above noticed by another poster) was totally misused by the press (british and portuguese) - fortunately we have Anne's reports.

I am anxious now for the full report of Eduardo Dâmaso's deposition. I was surprised at the Star article by Lawton, after all his tweets, where there was not a single mention about it - that would have been news: a claimants witness actually defending the respondents right to write the book.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:37:23 AM by Luz »

Offline John

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 02:11:36 PM »
Libel trial in Lisbon - Day 6 Witness No 3

Eduardo Dâmaso (Portuguese Press Reporter) evidence.

Libel trial McCann v Gonçalo Amaral - Day 6 Witness No3

The testimony as it happened...

(02.10.2013, 2:50pm)  – Eduardo Dâmaso is a witness for both parties. He is a journalist with the Portuguese Morning Mail (Correio da Manhã) based in Lisbon.

The Judge asks what exactly his job with the newspaper was when the interview with Gonçalo Amaral was published. (Note: The article referred to only exists in print, a copy of which has been lodged with the Court).
ED says that at the time the book was published he was Deputy Director with the Correio da Manhã.

The Judge asks whether he knows why he has been called to testify.
ED says he is aware the reason is because he took part, he was present, at the interview of Gonçalo Amaral.

The Judge asks when that was.
ED thinks it was about one year after the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

The Judge asks how the interview was set up and organized, who contacted who.
ED says that he and Henrique Machado contacted Gonçalo Amaral.

Download pdf to read more...

Important Notice
Readers are warned that this court Report is not a verbatim account of events but is merely a summary. 
As the content is sourced via a third party and although checks are made, the forum cannot guarantee
its veracity.  All reports are made in good faith.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:10:45 AM by Admin »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Mercedes

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 06:55:17 PM »
First of all I would like to give my thanks to Anne for here INCREDIBLE work  8@??)( 8@??)( 8@??)

I'm not sure if you have already found the link to the original interview published in O Correio da Manha, I've just published the Spanish translation and haven't had time to read anything else.

So just in case here goes a link to the original articule in O Correio da Manhã: http://tinyurl.com/5zbg8w

And here you can find a summary posted on the same day: http://tinyurl.com/5chkem

Offline Chinagirl

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2013, 02:35:49 AM »
Eduardo Dâmaso is a witness for both parties.

Can somebody explain how this can possibly be, or is it a mistake?  There is no system of law I have ever heard of where someone can be a witness for BOTH parties.
A

Redblossom

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 08:54:44 AM »
Eduardo Dâmaso is a witness for both parties.

Can somebody explain how this can possibly be, or is it a mistake?  There is no system of law I have ever heard of where someone can be a witness for BOTH parties.

It happens even if youve never heard of it

Offline Chinagirl

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 09:47:02 AM »
Actually, I'd prefer a sensible answer and explanation, please - John??  or Anne Guedes??
A

Redblossom

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 09:51:08 AM »
Actually, I'd prefer a sensible answer and explanation, please - John??  or Anne Guedes??

You will get the same...it happens in other countries..its happened in Portugal, get over it....
 @)(++(*

AnneGuedes

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2013, 10:51:35 AM »

Thank you very much, Mercedes, for the link to the original text ! I'll ask John to introduce the extracts in the reports, as of course they were quoted in Portuguese. It's a bit difficult to understand why this interview, precisely, is given such importance. Perhaps because it was made before the AG report, but anyhow it was only published after.