Author Topic: Should There Have been An Upper Age Limit For Voters?  (Read 13872 times)

Offline APRIL

Should There Have been An Upper Age Limit For Voters?
« on: June 30, 2016, 07:19:12 PM »
I'm very conscious, that for certain members of society, if they don't have children/grandchildren, the outcome of the vote is unlikely to impact on their lives, one way or another. I have some sympathy with the guy who said that his grandmother had voted OUT -as was her right- whilst he, and many of his generation felt we'd be better off staying IN. He felt aggrieved that the older generation were potentially making decisions for a world they wouldn't live to see.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 02:02:12 PM by John »

Offline John

Re: Should There Have been An Upper Age Limit For Voters?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 08:56:54 PM »
I'm very conscious, that for certain members of society, if they don't have children/grandchildren, the outcome of the vote is unlikely to impact on their lives, one way or another. I have some sympathy with the guy who said that his grandmother had voted OUT -as was her right- whilst he, and many of his generation felt we'd be better off staying IN. He felt aggrieved that the older generation were potentially making decisions for a world they wouldn't live to see.

A novel idea April but I fear it would set a dangerous precedent for democracy.  Why stop there, why not have a mininum age since maturity brings wisdom?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline sika

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 09:01:23 PM »
A novel idea April but I fear it would set a dangerous precedent for democracy.  Why stop there, why not have a mininum age since maturity brings wisdom?
We do have a minimum age, don't we?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 09:17:07 PM »
Universal suffrage means everyone who has reached voting age is eligible to vote apart from a very few exceptions.

When do the elderly lose their votes? As predicting the age of death isn't possible how would it be possible to pick an age to take away the right to vote? Should we also remove the vote from young terminally ill people?

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline John

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 09:19:11 PM »
We do have a minimum age, don't we?

Sorry, i should have said an elevated minimum age.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline sadie

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 11:33:53 PM »

I wonder if there has been some misinformation put about that the older voters were responsible for Brexit happening?

With the exception of one elderly voter that I talked to, they all voted to stay in

Deleted before I upset anyone else %£5&%

Alfie

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 11:55:19 PM »
I wonder if there has been some misinformation put about that the older voters were responsible for Brexit happening?

With the exception of one elderly voter that I talked to, they all voted to stay in

From my side alone of the Madeleine forum we have the following posters commenting

Jean-Pierre
mysty
Alfred
Brietta
me (Sadie)

I am the oldest, but I don't think any of them are young and we all voted to stay in.
For some reason there is a perception on this forum that I am elderly, and spend all day dribbling onto my cardigan (I think we have Faithlilly to thank for that).  Fact is, I'm in the prime of life still, and for the record I would vote no to an upper age limit on voting.   ?{)(**

Offline sadie

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 12:01:00 AM »
For some reason there is a perception on this forum that I am elderly, and spend all day dribbling onto my cardigan (I think we have Faithlilly to thank for that).  Fact is, I'm in the prime of life still, and for the record I would vote no to an upper age limit on voting.   ?{)(**

Soz Alfie.

I don't spend all day dribbling onto my cardigan   .... Yet !

An upper age limit with all the experience that comes with age, that's got to be a plus.

And how about the lower age limit of 16.  Is that OK ?

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 12:02:34 AM »
And I am a youth of some 21 summers and a few months.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 12:06:50 AM »
490 to be precise

Offline mercury

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 12:08:20 AM »

I've not ever seen any correlation between age and understandng/knowledge let alone wisdom (ever heard the saying out of the mouths of babes)on political matters (or intelligence and objectivity)  and the crucial issues in elections, and here, a referendum which would have been a harder subject to master, so no

If the country can send you to war, allow you to marry, insist you pay tax, and be a law abiding citizen, they can give you the vote

Eta seeng as the seas are unchartered, no one can say what the future will be so older people dont necessarily have the right view...the future is always taken over by the newer generations and thank god for that otherwise the world would be stuck in a rut for eons
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 12:27:52 AM by mercury »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 12:45:30 AM »
There is no right or wrong vote in any Election provided people aren't coerced. People of all ages make their decision and cast their votes accordingly.

People of 21 can make every effort to learn what the issues are and cast their vote thoughtfully. People of 80 can vote a certain way because their favourite politician tells them to. The reverse can also apply.

Whatever people's reasons and whatever their ages, classes or educational levels they have one vote each and are entitled to use it how they think fit.

If you vote for something and you lose that's tough. Not enough people agreed with you. Accept it and get over it. Attacking others and suggesting that certain people shouldn't be allowed to vote is childish and immature. It's also a step backwards. Universal suffrage wasn't handed to the people on a plate, they had to fight for it.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline mercury

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2016, 12:59:29 AM »
I said before and will say again, there was no need for cameron to gamble the countrys future instead  of just "sortng it out" with everyday politics both at home and abroad

Because the way I see it exiting the eu might be a lead balloon vis a vis all the problems promised to be solved

And if you add potential economic downfalls then its all been a crock of the proverbial and for what...bloody egos and right wing racists

Offline mercury

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2016, 01:14:12 AM »
What about people who are not given the vote? People whose lives might be affected as well as every britsh citizen? What about people who emgrated here decades ago and integrated fully, they didnt get a say, what about them? Arent they disenfranchised? Why do some people who should get a vote are denied it and others who just walked in yesterday get one

Offline Brietta

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 02:43:15 PM »

In my opinion, rather more pertinent than an upper or lower age limit for voting ... would be the ability to pass an intelligence test.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....