Author Topic: Was Kate McCann right to decline to answer the 48 questions?  (Read 52954 times)

Offline barrier

Re: Was Kate McCann right to decline to answer the 48 questions?
« Reply #360 on: December 17, 2017, 10:31:08 AM »
I'm no expert on any of this, but my son is presently a witness in an ongoing murder trial.    According to him, statements made by the defendants at the police station (questions and their answers) are being read out (verbatim)  to the court.     The defendants have not appeared in the witness box so far, but whether this will change I have no idea at the moment.   Do you think they will be called now that their statements have been revealed to the jury - or can they still decline?

I would think now its been revealed the the prosecution can question,interesting to see if its the case.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #361 on: December 17, 2017, 10:34:10 AM »
I would think now its been revealed the the prosecution can question,interesting to see if its the case.

the defendants do not have to answer any questions and any statements made under caution can be used against them...simple basic law

Offline barrier

« Reply #362 on: December 17, 2017, 10:48:25 AM »
the defendants do not have to answer any questions and any statements made under caution can be used against them...simple basic law

If they have made no comment through-out the proceedings possibly yes,but once a statement is made under caution does this negate that.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline John

« Reply #363 on: December 17, 2017, 10:48:44 AM »
not in the case of the ciprianos john.....

That is exactly what occurred in the Cipiano case.  João Cipriano refused to testify so the judge allowed the police video of him reenacting how he cut up the child's body to be shown to the jury.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #364 on: December 17, 2017, 10:53:26 AM »
That is exactly what occurred in the Cipiano case.  João Cipriano refused to testify so the judge allowed the police video of him reenacting how he cut up the child's body to be shown to the jury.

so the video evidence was allowed to be used......I agree....so statements...audio and visual can be used in court

Offline John

« Reply #365 on: December 17, 2017, 10:55:46 AM »
I'm no expert on any of this, but my son is presently a witness in an ongoing murder trial.    According to him, statements made by the defendants at the police station (questions and their answers) are being read out (verbatim)  to the court.     The defendants have not appeared in the witness box so far, but whether this will change I have no idea at the moment.   Do you think they will be called now that their statements have been revealed to the jury - or can they still decline?

Witness statements can only be used in such a manner if both the prosecution and the defence agree to it and it is allowed by the presiding judge.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

« Reply #366 on: December 17, 2017, 10:57:13 AM »
so the video evidence was allowed to be used......I agree....so statements...audio and visual can be used in court

They can be certainly in certain circumstances but only at the judges discretion.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #367 on: December 17, 2017, 11:02:35 AM »
They can be certainly in certain circumstances but only at the judges discretion.

fair enough

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #368 on: December 17, 2017, 01:06:53 PM »
So can we all agree that while innocent people have in the past refused to answer questions put to them by police the number is so small that providing a cite for the same is almost impossible ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #369 on: December 17, 2017, 01:45:41 PM »
So can we all agree that while innocent people have in the past refused to answer questions put to them by police the number is so small that providing a cite for the same is almost impossible ?

I would say that on the whole it is the guilty  that take the right to silence ...but on occasions for very good reasons  an innocent person will take the right to silence...that is a fact.  Kate took the right to silence,...it is pure speculation to suggest thats  because she had something to hide....so posters an speculate ...but thats all it is

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #370 on: December 17, 2017, 03:07:45 PM »
I would say that on the whole it is the guilty  that take the right to silence ...but on occasions for very good reasons  an innocent person will take the right to silence...that is a fact.  Kate took the right to silence,...it is pure speculation to suggest thats  because she had something to hide....so posters an speculate ...but thats all it is

A very few occasions as you haven't even been able to give me one cite.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #371 on: December 17, 2017, 05:05:51 PM »
A very few occasions as you haven't even been able to give me one cite.
It was his opinion so he doesn't need a cite.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Benice

« Reply #372 on: December 17, 2017, 06:20:32 PM »

Can we also agree that anyone reading the 48 questions would be left in no doubt that their only purpose was to find evidence to pin the crime on Kate McCann.    And that mindful of some of Amaral and his team's 'unusual' ideas of what constituted compelling evidence in their eyes (i.e. the dream!)   - she would have been off her rocker to ignore the excellent advice from her lawyer.

AIMHO

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Carana

« Reply #373 on: December 17, 2017, 08:14:07 PM »

Hard to know how many people choose to remain silent or not, in which circumstances, in which jurisdiction and what the surrounding circumstances of any trial by media may have been.

I've never been in such a situation.

A possible insight?

https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/analysis/going-no-comment-a-delicate-balancing-act/65781.article

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #374 on: December 17, 2017, 10:42:57 PM »
Can we also agree that anyone reading the 48 questions would be left in no doubt that their only purpose was to find evidence to pin the crime on Kate McCann.    And that mindful of some of Amaral and his team's 'unusual' ideas of what constituted compelling evidence in their eyes (i.e. the dream!)   - she would have been off her rocker to ignore the excellent advice from her lawyer.

AIMHO

Once she had been constituted arguida that could not happen.
Had the police wished to have her incriminate herself they would have let her remain a witness.

"Sometimes when the police suspect someone, they call that person in as a witness.

"They don't constitute him as arguido and they extract as much information from him as they can, because as a witness he cannot refuse to collaborate with the police.

"Now the moment he is constituted as arguido, as the defendant, then he can not only refuse to answer questions because they can incriminate him, but also he has the right to be accompanied in the questionings by his own solicitor."
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey