Author Topic: Was Kate McCann right to decline to answer the 48 questions?  (Read 52684 times)

Offline John

Re: Was Kate McCann right to decline to answer the 48 questions?
« Reply #165 on: December 12, 2017, 06:31:21 PM »
have just noticed that kates interpreter was named ...Alice Avakoff....is that a portuguese name

Its originally of Russian ancestry I believe.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:15:45 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #166 on: December 12, 2017, 06:49:09 PM »
According to her book, Kate's lawyer was somewhat uneasy about the way she answered the questions put to her on 6th. He advised her during a break to be 'less definite'. Later, at the villa, he told her she was likely to be made arguida. Reading her account, Gerry isn't mentioned much, and the PJ certainly seemed more interested in her. Although her diaries were not accepted as evidence by the judge, some of the questions they asked seemed to arise from the alleged content of her diaries as reported by the Portuguese press;

Asked whether or not it is true that the twins have difficulty sleeping, that they are restless and that that causes her uneasiness, she did not respond.

Asked whether or not it is true that at certain times she felt desperate [driven to despair; angered; exasperated] by the attitude of the children and that that left her much disquiet [unease], she did not respond.

Asked whether or not it is true that in England she was thinking to deliver MADELEINE into the custody [guardianship] of a family member, she did not respond.
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/KATE-MCCANN_07-09-07.htm

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2017, 06:53:44 PM »
It's in here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/590687/BAGT-Witness-statements-v4.pdf
Also some guff in here.
https://www.humberside.police.uk/sites/default/files/Witness_Statement_Taking.pdf

If you work out an activity list it's not a fat lot different from what was done in Portugal so what's your problem?
As for recording ? To be admissible in court a statement must be in writing.

Did you read the links you posted...from the second one...

7. FOREIGN LANGUAGE STATEMENTS
7.1 In the case of a person making a statement in a language other than English;
 7.1.1 The interpreter should take down the statement in the language in
 which it is made and the person making the statement should sign it.

7.1.2 An official English translation should be made in due course by the
 interpreter.
 7.1.3 The interpreter should then make a statement introducing both the
 original foreign language statement and the English translation as
 Police items and certifying that the translation is accurate.

That is nothing like what was done in portugal and was what I suggested earlier...you need to reconsider...imo

Offline Brietta

« Reply #168 on: December 12, 2017, 06:54:10 PM »
But yet Rowley and operation Grange are quite willing to accept the very same statements as being sound.So nothing untoward happened.

Unfortunately he didn't specify which Portuguese investigation was considered sound.  In my opinion, it would be the one which was capable of understanding the forensic results commissioned from the FCC.
The original team to which you refer, and who carried out the arguido interrogations, quite obviously did not.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #169 on: December 12, 2017, 06:55:53 PM »

so a russian translating an english spoken word...liverpool accent.. into portuguese....do we have any evidence of her proficiency

Offline barrier

« Reply #170 on: December 12, 2017, 07:07:54 PM »
Unfortunately he didn't specify which Portuguese investigation was considered sound.  In my opinion, it would be the one which was capable of understanding the forensic results commissioned from the FCC.
The original team to which you refer, and who carried out the arguido interrogations, quite obviously did not.

Rowley tells us it was the original investigation.It includes all of it.

MR: Two points to that, firstly the involvement of the parents, that was dealt with at the time by the original investigation by the Portuguese. We had a look at all the material and we are happy that was all dealt with and there is no reason whatsoever to reopen that or start rumours that was a line of investigation
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #171 on: December 12, 2017, 07:15:02 PM »
Rowley tells us it was the original investigation.It includes all of it.

Uh hu that would be right.  I for one refer to the Amaral investigation as a separate entity from the Rebelo investigation but in reality that is imprecise terminology: in reality, all that changed was the lead player and one other ... it remained the same investigation.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2017, 10:01:21 PM »
Did you read the links you posted...from the second one...

7. FOREIGN LANGUAGE STATEMENTS
7.1 In the case of a person making a statement in a language other than English;
 7.1.1 The interpreter should take down the statement in the language in
 which it is made and the person making the statement should sign it.

7.1.2 An official English translation should be made in due course by the
 interpreter.
 7.1.3 The interpreter should then make a statement introducing both the
 original foreign language statement and the English translation as
 Police items and certifying that the translation is accurate.

That is nothing like what was done in portugal and was what I suggested earlier...you need to reconsider...imo

Don't ask dozey ....... questions of course I read it and my comment still stands.
Write down an activity list for each option then tell us how the end result varies significantly. If you don't have the skill sets to do activity lists I'll do it for you.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:14:56 PM by John »
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2017, 10:06:16 PM »
Don't ask dozey ....... questions of course I read it and my comment still stands.
Write down an activity list for each option then tell us how the end result varies significantly. If you don't have the skill sets to do activity lists I'll do it for you.

if you have read it you should have noticed that your link recommends that the suspects statement should be taken down is his/her  own language ...signed by the suspect and then translated...unless the mushrooms on my steak were magic this evening that is nothing like what happened in portugal
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:17:45 PM by Davel »

Offline John

« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2017, 10:19:38 PM »
so a russian translating an english spoken word...liverpool accent.. into portuguese....do we have any evidence of her proficiency

The name might be Russian but she could very well have been born and educated in Portugal.  Let's not jump to conclusions.

As for how statements were recorded in Portugal in 2007, there is no definitive way of knowing what actually occurred since both Portuguese and British interpreters were used.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 01:26:24 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2017, 10:22:29 PM »
The name might be Russian but she could very well have been born and educated in Portugal.  Let's not jump to conclusions.

only asking questions....and I think its a reasonable question as the portuguese dont seem to use accredited translators

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #176 on: December 13, 2017, 05:05:09 PM »
Kate McCann had already volunteered information and answered all the questions she could in the investigation into Madeleine's case.

The questions she refused to answer on legal advice were all about the case against her and nothing else. 

Therefore in my opinion her ulterior motive was to keep herself out of jail so that the investigation into Madeleine's case would be enabled to continue to conclusion.

If her ulterior motive was to avoid jail, what motive did she publicly espouse?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #177 on: December 13, 2017, 05:41:12 PM »
If her ulterior motive was to avoid jail, what motive did she publicly espouse?

You may have missed the ... "in my opinion" ... in my post  8(0(*

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #178 on: December 13, 2017, 06:16:20 PM »
You may have missed the ... "in my opinion" ... in my post  8(0(*

Doesn’t answer the question?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Jane Mcard

« Reply #179 on: December 13, 2017, 07:45:27 PM »

In my opinion ... If she had wanted to help the enquiry to find her alleged 'missing' child then she would have answered them.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:53:38 PM by Brietta »