Author Topic: Was Kate McCann right to decline to answer the 48 questions?  (Read 52694 times)

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: Was Kate McCann right to decline to answer the 48 questions?
« Reply #255 on: December 14, 2017, 07:41:41 PM »
Being interviewed as a witness entails answering truthfully all questions asked.  If self incriminating questions are to be asked the person is given arguido status which entitles them to have a lawyer present and entitles them to the right to remain silent.
Witnesses can request arguido status which will entitle them to those rights.

That is my understanding ... any one able to add or suggest where I have gone wrong.

You missed the curious bit which we have discussed before:
An arguido may lie without fear of redress whereas a witness may be punished by the courts for lying if caught out.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Brietta

« Reply #256 on: December 14, 2017, 08:20:18 PM »
An arguido may lie without fear of redress whereas a witness may be punished by the courts for lying if caught out.

Actually I did remember and gave it a thought, Alice.  But I decided it was just too ridiculous a notion to mention without having a cite for it to hand.
Glad you confirm that my old memory cells are still working fine ... unless you and I are sharing the same delusion and both our brains have had it.

I find it a ridiculous concept though ... not our brains being past it, though they well may be ... but interviewees are allowed to lie under circumstances which I would compare with being under oath.  Very strange.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #257 on: December 14, 2017, 08:33:25 PM »

Do you have a cite for this.....as it stands it means an arguido is free to pervert the course of justice

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #258 on: December 14, 2017, 09:04:21 PM »
Well does that mean the McCanns were allowed to lie by Portuguese law?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:16:40 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

stephen25000

« Reply #259 on: December 14, 2017, 09:14:06 PM »
Well does that mean the the McCanns were allowed to lie by Portuguese law?

Tell me Rob, do you think all witnesses or in this case arguida, under oath or otherwise, always tell the truth ?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #260 on: December 14, 2017, 09:32:40 PM »
Tell me Rob, do you think all witnesses or in this case arguida, under oath or otherwise, always tell the truth ?

With reference to the thread title ... as an arguida ... it was an impossibility for Kate McCann to be accused of telling a lie ... was it not?

Which reinforces the correctness of her lawyer's advice and the astuteness of her decision to take it ... and that is a fact!
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

stephen25000

« Reply #261 on: December 14, 2017, 09:36:39 PM »

With reference to the thread title ... as an arguida ... it was an impossibility for Kate McCann to be accused of telling a lie ... was it not?

Which reinforces the correctness of her lawyer's advice and the astuteness of her decision to take it ... and that is a fact!

So you believe Brietta that all witnesses and sworn statements, are always truthful.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #262 on: December 14, 2017, 09:56:08 PM »
Well does that mean the the McCanns were allowed to lie by Portuguese law?

Work it out for yourself:
"If a person becomes an arguido, they automatically gain certain rights that a witness or suspect would not have. An arguido has the right to be accompanied by a lawyer when questioned. The investigating police may ask the arguido more direct accusatory questions (the answers to which would not be admissible in court if possibly self-incriminatory and asked of a non-arguido) but the arguido must be presented with whatever evidence is held against them,and unlike a witness has the right to remain silent, not to answer any question that may incriminate the person, and does not face legal action for lying".
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #263 on: December 14, 2017, 09:59:32 PM »
Work it out for yourself:
"If a person becomes an arguido, they automatically gain certain rights that a witness or suspect would not have. An arguido has the right to be accompanied by a lawyer when questioned. The investigating police may ask the arguido more direct accusatory questions (the answers to which would not be admissible in court if possibly self-incriminatory and asked of a non-arguido) but the arguido must be presented with whatever evidence is held against them,and unlike a witness has the right to remain silent, not to answer any question that may incriminate the person, and does not face legal action for lying".
So it would be ok to lie and pervert the course of justice
Where's the original portuguese

Offline Brietta

« Reply #264 on: December 14, 2017, 10:02:24 PM »
So you believe Brietta that all witnesses and sworn statements, are always truthful.

I believe that Kate McCann was perfectly correct to decline to answer the questions put to her as an arguida ... I also think it is inappropriate to post an oblique remark which might be taken to imply dishonesty.

stephen25000

« Reply #265 on: December 14, 2017, 10:05:21 PM »
I believe that Kate McCann was perfectly correct to decline to answer the questions put to her as an arguida ... I also think it is inappropriate to post an oblique remark which might be taken to imply dishonesty.

You can interpret as you will.

Do you seriously believe when the police interview people, they take witness statements as gospel ?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #266 on: December 14, 2017, 10:07:01 PM »
So it would be ok to lie and pervert the course of justice
Where's the original portuguese

Like I said to Robbitybob: "work it out for yourself"

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #267 on: December 14, 2017, 10:10:33 PM »
Like I said to Robbitybob: "work it out for yourself"
. I have...I think there must be more to it

Offline Brietta

« Reply #268 on: December 14, 2017, 10:14:51 PM »
You can interpret as you will.

Do you seriously believe when the police interview people, they take witness statements as gospel ?

The topic is Kate McCann and the questions put to her as an arguida ... in my opinion it is therefore best not to sidetrack to generalisations which could be taken as being pejorative as well as innuendo.

stephen25000

« Reply #269 on: December 14, 2017, 10:20:08 PM »
The topic is Kate McCann and the questions put to her as an arguida ... in my opinion it is therefore best not to sidetrack to generalisations which could be taken as being pejorative as well as innuendo.

Don''t worry Brietta.

It can still be discussed, if not on here.