Author Topic: Was Kate McCann right to decline to answer the 48 questions?  (Read 52690 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Was Kate McCann right to decline to answer the 48 questions?
« Reply #330 on: December 16, 2017, 11:53:49 AM »
The point I am making is that the investigation led by amaral misinterpreted the alerts..it dismissed them as having no  evidential value

The investigation was coordinated by Amaral but those in charge were Luis Neves and Guilhermino Encarnação.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Brietta

« Reply #331 on: December 16, 2017, 12:00:35 PM »
The investigation was coordinated by Amaral but those in charge were Luis Neves and Guilhermino Encarnação.

So we keep being told ... however ... it was Amaral who was sacked.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

stephen25000

« Reply #332 on: December 16, 2017, 01:38:18 PM »
A QUESTION SHE DID ANSWER

Q.  Are you aware that in not answering the questions you are jeopardising the investigation, which seeks to discover what happened to your daughter?

A.  'Yes, if that’s what the investigation thinks.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1041635/The-48-questions-Kate-McCann-wouldnt-answer--did.html#ixzz51QlwY4MR
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:00:49 AM by John »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #333 on: December 16, 2017, 01:52:04 PM »

Q.  Are you aware that in not answering the questions you are jeopardising the investigation, which seeks to discover what happened to your daughter?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1041635/The-48-questions-Kate-McCann-wouldnt-answer--did.html#ixzz51QlwY4MR
You are quoting the opinion of a police investigation where the officers did not have a clue...imo...and Kate realised that

stephen25000

« Reply #334 on: December 16, 2017, 02:40:57 PM »
You are quoting the opinion of a police investigation where the officers did not have a clue...imo...and Kate realised that

That is your opinion and that of the Mccann supporters.

As to Kate McCann's opinion, that is supposition.

stephen25000

« Reply #335 on: December 16, 2017, 04:08:13 PM »
How many questions didn't she answer in her interview ?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:02:34 AM by John »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #336 on: December 16, 2017, 04:50:06 PM »
How many questions didn't she answer in her interview ?

As the pj made a real pigs ear...imo..in taking the record of her interview we don't know but according to the non verbatim transcript s no questions were not answered
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:02:46 AM by John »

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #337 on: December 16, 2017, 06:14:27 PM »
Innocent people may assert their right to stay silent but I can't think of one suspect who, after they have been cautioned, has refused to answer every question during all their interviews and subsequently not been found guilty, can you ?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:03:26 AM by John »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #338 on: December 16, 2017, 06:47:16 PM »
The terms verbatim and non-verbatim translations are bandied about with gay abandon but what precisely do they mean both in practical terms and grammatical terms ?. 

Verbatim translation, IMO, is not possible in the first place. For a start verbatim means word for word.
So either it is or it isn't word for word. If a statement is translated from one language to another manifestly it cannnot be verbatim therefore the terms "verbatim" and "non-verbatim" when used in connection with translation are completely meaningless.

The closest meaning one will have in practical terms when considering "verbatim translation" will be "a word-for-word translation that sticks as closely as possible to the structure and meaning of the original, without being adapted for a target audience in any way".

IMNSHO
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #339 on: December 16, 2017, 07:26:42 PM »

That is one of those delphic answers too, for it is only answerable if we know "what the investigation thinks"
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #340 on: December 16, 2017, 08:28:06 PM »
The terms verbatim and non-verbatim translations are bandied about with gay abandon but what precisely do they mean both in practical terms and grammatical terms ?. 

Verbatim translation, IMO, is not possible in the first place. For a start verbatim means word for word.
So either it is or it isn't word for word. If a statement is translated from one language to another manifestly it cannnot be verbatim therefore the terms "verbatim" and "non-verbatim" when used in connection with translation are completely meaningless.

The closest meaning one will have in practical terms when considering "verbatim translation" will be "a word-for-word translation that sticks as closely as possible to the structure and meaning of the original, without being adapted for a target audience in any way".

IMNSHO

verbatim would be the mccanns statements being written down exactly as they were spoken...in english and then signed

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #341 on: December 16, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »
verbatim would be the mccanns statements being written down exactly as they were spoken...in english and then signed

So who does the translation ? or are you suggesting an English person records the statement in whatever country it happens to be ?
Remember that the principle has to be capable of implementation outside the PdL bubble.
Why signed? Your contention is that the signature is worthless?
As what was done complies with EU law wrt translation what is your objection?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Carana

« Reply #342 on: December 16, 2017, 10:07:15 PM »
So who does the translation ? or are you suggesting an English person records the statement in whatever country it happens to be ?
Remember that the principle has to be capable of implementation outside the PdL bubble.
Why signed? Your contention is that the signature is worthless?
As what was done complies with EU law wrt translation what is your objection?

I've mentioned this before. In far less serious circumstances, I made a police statement in a country in which I didn't understand the language at the time. Someone interpreted for me, and I signed on the bottom line. All I could work out was the bottom line of a few words, and that was all I need to get the ball rolling. 

Years later, sorting through stuff, I found it again and can now understand what was written. Hardly anythihng was accurate.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #343 on: December 16, 2017, 10:38:19 PM »
I've mentioned this before. In far less serious circumstances, I made a police statement in a country in which I didn't understand the language at the time. Someone interpreted for me, and I signed on the bottom line. All I could work out was the bottom line of a few words, and that was all I need to get the ball rolling. 

Years later, sorting through stuff, I found it again and can now understand what was written. Hardly anythihng was accurate.

It comes as no surprise. I started traveling abroad on business when I was 26 (in MXV BC that's a long time ago!)*. I learned rapidly that once beyond the soggy bit at Dover one took one's life in one's own hands. Help from the FCO being dependant on what bigger fish they had to fry (or boil) at the time. See Ian Richter.
I would say about Portugal though; it is not the backward country being portrayed by supporters it being at the cutting edge of some legislation. eg banning capital punishment about a century before the UK did.
But allegedly in the McCann case they had an interpreter provided by the FCO.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2__SqD8kTyw        ?{)(**

Offline Brietta

« Reply #344 on: December 16, 2017, 11:44:25 PM »
It comes as no surprise. I started traveling abroad on business when I was 26 (in MXV BC that's a long time ago!)*. I learned rapidly that once beyond the soggy bit at Dover one took one's life in one's own hands. Help from the FCO being dependant on what bigger fish they had to fry (or boil) at the time. See Ian Richter.
I would say about Portugal though; it is not the backward country being portrayed by supporters it being at the cutting edge of some legislation. eg banning capital punishment about a century before the UK did.
But allegedly in the McCann case they had an interpreter provided by the FCO.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2__SqD8kTyw        ?{)(**

Are you able to substantiate your claim that 'supporters' ~ actually ... how puerile is this apparent need to label individuals as if they are the Borg ~ portray Portugal as a 'backward country'?

As far as I am concerned there is evidence that the Portuguese system is just fine ... for example, the right to maintain silence and the right to legal representation is something which is a matter of course.

The most 'backward' looking attitude - in my opinion - comes from those individuals who object to the legitimate use of those rights in conjunction with their disregard for evidence which defies their opinion of how things should be not how they are. 
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....