Author Topic: Madeleine McCann: Mari Luz Cortes connection, fact and fiction.  (Read 20304 times)

Offline sadie

Re: Madeleine McCann: Mari Luz Cortes connection, fact and fiction.
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2018, 09:44:50 PM »
I had noticed that name "Yeremi Vargas" before but had not read up on it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7397767.stm
This sentence really brings home the problem

""I called him in for lunch and he nodded and said he'd be there in a moment," she says.

"I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember exactly what he was wearing. Five minutes - it couldn't have been more than five minutes, I put my head round the door and he was gone.""
Yeremi vanished from Gran Canaraia just before Madeleine and I well remember pinning up Missing Madeleine posters alongside Yeremis poster, whilst hoidaying in Tenerife.  Lovley face he had.  Do hope that he is found.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2018, 10:30:35 PM »

Whatever happened that night, it wounded Luz’s reputation as a quiet, family-friendly resort. It had a “very negative” effect, said Mr Mata: for two years after her disappearance, the number of tourists “noticeably decreased”. “People lost their jobs because of this. A lot of shops and restaurants closed down. It had a huge influence on the real estate market

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/03/just-had-enough-ten-years-praia-da-luz-remembers-night-madeleine/

Wasn't there something about a global economic crisis beginning sometime in 2008?  I seem to recall it had quite a devastating effect as people worldwide lost homes, jobs, businesses ... am I wrong, and that only happened in Luz?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 11:05:57 PM by Brietta »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Sunny

« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2018, 10:54:09 PM »
Wasn't there something about a global economic crisis beginning sometime in 2008?  I seem to recall it had quite a devastating effect as people worldwide lost homes, jobs, businesses ... am I wrong, and that only happened in Luz?

From the same link.

Mr Mata, who is now president of the village council, said residents were initially sympathetic towards the McCanns. “In the beginning, people were very friendly and everybody tried to help,” he said. “But then it turned into a negative thing for the village. People think we helped so much and our lives were so disturbed by this and even today we don’t know what happened.”   

The global crash would have hurt Praia Da Luz but the Madeleine disappearance would have exacerbated it immensely as it lost it's family friendly image in one night, all IMO.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 11:06:29 PM by Brietta »
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2018, 10:55:53 PM »
Wan't there something about a global economic crisis beginning sometime in 2008? I seem to recall it had quite a devastating effect as people worldwide lost homes, jobs, businesses ... am I wrong, and that only happened in Luz?

2007 if you want to be picky.
Caused in the main by types who liked to use verbose flash terms to flim flam the public.
"Invest in the sub-prime market". To us ill educated types that was "lending a shedful of ackers to someone who did not stand a hope in hell of ever repaying it". Smooth move;better off sticking it on single numbers at roulette of betting on dogs.
The plus side was those of us in work received ample reward even if somewhat pulled out.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2018, 11:00:51 PM »
You may wish to excuse the despicable behaviour of defacing  a child's face by suggesting that some had the right to do so because they may have believed the " posters were some kind of ploy", however I would question the integrity and morals of anyone who would choose to make such a protest.

Does this high minded stance extend to the defiling of hoardings in general or just this particular one?
It could be worse. I have "done jobs" in 21st century in places where a hoarding would be used for target practice pretty well as soon as it was erected.
Hoardings have been a target in UK since I was a boy.
What's new?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2018, 11:02:17 PM »
From the same link.

Mr Mata, who is now president of the village council, said residents were initially sympathetic towards the McCanns. “In the beginning, people were very friendly and everybody tried to help,” he said. “But then it turned into a negative thing for the village. People think we helped so much and our lives were so disturbed by this and even today we don’t know what happened.”   

The global crash would have hurt Praia Da Luz but the Madeleine disappearance would have exacerbated it immensely as it lost it's family friendly image in one night, all IMO.

Maddie and her family lost far more

Offline Sunny

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2018, 11:07:54 PM »
Maddie and her family lost far more

Theirs was self inflicted. Their negligence has caused widespread suffering on an innocent village and possibly even an entire country IMO.

I have every care and respect for Madeleine and the twins. They too were innocent in all this.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2018, 11:11:56 PM »
Theirs was self inflicted. Their negligence has caused widespread suffering on an innocent village and possibly even an entire country IMO.

I have every care and respect for Madeleine and the twins. They too were innocent in all this.

I don't see it as self inflicted at all..

Offline Erngath

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2018, 11:14:50 PM »
Does this high minded stance extend to the defiling of hoardings in general or just this particular one?
It could be worse. I have "done jobs" in 21st century in places where a hoarding would be used for target practice pretty well as soon as it was erected.
Hoardings have been a target in UK since I was a boy.
What's new?

No my " high minded stance" is actually extended to not only defilng a poster depicting the face of a missing little girl.but to all acts of vandalism.
Fortunately I haven't seen many hoardings being used for "target practice".
 I find it particularly loathsome for any child's image to be vandalised in such a manner.
I'm surprised you do not!

Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2018, 11:35:37 PM »

No my " high minded stance" is actually extended to not only defilng a poster depicting the face of a missing little girl.but to all acts of vandalism.
 I find it particularly loathsome for any child's image to be vandalised in such a manner.
Anyone who cannot see the difference between vandalizing, say, a wonderbra advert hoarding and one featuring the face of a little girl who may have been abducted (an act of vandalism which also deliberately obscured the phone line set up to receive information on her possible whereabouts) is beyond help IMO.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Brietta

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2018, 12:31:53 AM »
Mari Luz's family seem to have had a very well organised campaign going on her behalf and seem to have already had suspicion about who had taken her ... suspicion which within a few weeks was justified.

I can see that if they had an objection to Madeleine and Mari Luz being on a joint poster there are many possible reasons for that all valid and understandable. Particularly if there had been a breakdown of communication and it had come as a surprise to them.

There is so little comment (none that I can see on MSM) that it must have been nipped in the bud and the situation amicably resolved.
Just as a matter of interest ... are there any images of the poster from the time?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2018, 02:12:16 AM »
Ten thousand onubenses cry "freedom" for Mari Luz
From the balcony of the Town Hall they read a manifesto and the mother of the child let out a dove - Juan José Cortés led the Madrid rally

RAQUEL RENDÓN
January 23, 2008 - 00: 00h
The demonstration yesterday is unprecedented in the history of Huelva, at least not with such solidarity. More than 10,000 people took to the streets to request that the girl who had disappeared ten days ago in El Torrejón, Mari Luz Cortés, to rejoin her family.

Some girls on a stage, who wore t-shirts with the photo of Mari Luz, released three white doves to ask with each of them both the release of Mari Luz Cortés and Yeremi Vargas and Madeleine McCann.

https://www.huelvainformacion.es/huelva/onubenses-claman-libertad-Mari-Luz_0_116089100.html

I don't think Mari Luz's family needed any help from anyone when it came to garnering publicity for their cause and mobilising people.

I believe their skills were perfected enough to enable her father to be instrumental in having Spanish law changed when he campaigned on ~ driven as a result of her death to save other children from harm.

The families of Madeleine and Yeremi had sent words of comfort when Mari Luz went missing and despite their fresh pain they returned the compliment with the release of a dove for at that time, each missing child.

Offline Carana

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2018, 06:49:12 AM »
A sizeable asteroid passing by at 200 km would be very very close indeed.

Another one hard to believe is this "DAILY STAR: “MADDIE COPS PROBE LINK TO SNATCH GIRL”

“Police in Portugal were last night investigating whether the fiend who snatched a five-year-old girl in Spain also took Madeleine McCann. Guilhermino Encarnacao, a key member of the Maddie squad, was drafted in to join the hunt for little Mari Lui Cortes” – Not to be confused with Mari Luz Cortes"
http://www.anorak.co.uk/179483/madeleine-mccann/madeleine-mccann-mari-luz-cortes-maddy-2-and-gerry-mccann-writes.html

Were there two missing girls "Mari Lui Cortes" and "Mari Luz Cortes"?

No, Rob - the Star probably misspelled her name. Anorak pokes fun at contradictions, wild assertions and the lack of fact-checking in tabloids.

Offline Carana

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2018, 07:00:22 AM »

Whatever happened that night, it wounded Luz’s reputation as a quiet, family-friendly resort. It had a “very negative” effect, said Mr Mata: for two years after her disappearance, the number of tourists “noticeably decreased”. “People lost their jobs because of this. A lot of shops and restaurants closed down. It had a huge influence on the real estate market

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/03/just-had-enough-ten-years-praia-da-luz-remembers-night-madeleine/

How much did the 2007-2008 financial crisis contribute to a relative lack of UK visitors? Or perhaps the McCanns triggered that as well?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »

I do not recall articulating that as my opinion. Please show where I did.

The message I was conveying quite clearly was that acts of vandalism on hoardings have been carried out for many years possibly generations. It happens, but it remains a quantum leap to attribute them to reasons of prejudice unless you know who did it, then stick the thumbscrews on to find out why.  Otherwise you are merely attributing it to groups and reasons that suit your purpose. As many of these acts of vandalism are perpetrated by children anyway you could scarcely be too harsh on them could you? Well not if you wish to maintain the higher moral ground.
If you have not seen hoardings used for target practice you must be very young and not particularly well travelled.