Poll

Please Indicate your Position

I am willing to accept any eventual outcome despite my current beliefs
10 (25.6%)
I believe the McCanns are innocent and nothing is likely to change my mind.
7 (17.9%)
I suspect the McCanns of involvement but given enough further information I may change my mind.
12 (30.8%)
I suspect the McCanns of involvement and nothing is likely to change my mind.
3 (7.7%)
I believe the McCanns are innocent but given enough further information I may change my mind.
7 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: November 05, 2013, 12:55:53 PM

Author Topic: Poll - The Divergence of Views on this subject  (Read 65252 times)

Aiofe

Poll - The Divergence of Views on this subject
« on: October 29, 2013, 12:00:06 PM »
Reading this and other forums, there is an incredible divergence of views on this subject, often looking like two completely separate camps.

One side defends the Portuguese Original Investigation, supports Goncalo Amaral, believes the McCanns are responsible in some way beyond neglect for the Disappearance of Madeleine, and most of all: believes that all the other 'side' is completely wrong.
The other side defends the McCanns against any more wrong doing than sub-criminal neglect, sees the original Portuguese investigation by Amaral and others to be severely flawed,  believes that an Abduction by people unknown took place, and most of all: believes that all the other 'side' is completely wrong.

I am trying to gauge the certainty of belief and willingness to accept alternate possibilities.

(Please note that this does not include the concept of legal or moral neglect- most people seem to believe that there was a level of neglect, and there is some argument about  whether this was illegal in Portugal. The question above only applies to direct responsibility for the disappearance of Madeleine- was she removed by strangers or harmed by her family is what divides the camps. Even if the McCanns neglect enabled an abduction, the perpetrators are still the abductors.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:24:32 PM by John »

Offline Mr Moderator

Re: Poll - The Divergence of Views on this subject
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 01:08:30 PM »
Thank you for posting this poll Aiofe.  It has been edited in accordance with forum rules and protocols.

Aiofe

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 01:20:30 PM »
Thank you for posting this poll Aiofe.  It has been edited in accordance with forum rules and protocols.

Thanks. I can't even see what you have edited!

Cariad

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 01:33:26 PM »
This is a toughie!

I read 1, as any evidential outcome at first and was about to tick it.....

I'm going for 3, I think.

The only thing I absolutely know for sure in this case, is that Madeleine McCann is missing and has been since the 3rd of May 2007.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 02:49:50 PM »
Yes I voted 3 to be fair and open minded. Notice pro McCann's aren't open minded. Innocent no matter what blazing to the top!
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Aegean

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »
I'm a bit like Cariad, the only thing that's certain is that Madeleine is missing and has been since the 3rd of May 2007.

I actually don't know what I "think" happened. I can believe it was an abductor(s) and I can also believe in the involvement of her parents.

Even if the parents aren't responsible for whatever happened to Madeleine, I feel they've been a bit too into their media image and have interfered in the proceedings to the detriment of the investigations. Their general arrogance and egoism, and what we know about how they "looked after" their kids, do make me feel that it's not impossible that one of them could have struck out at Madeleine because she was "annoying" them, or that condtions in the room were not safe and Madeleine had some accident. But, if they are the ones who "did" it, then there has to be a really plausible scenario as to exactly what happened and what they did with her body, and that hasn't really been presented yet.

Similarly, if an abductor or abductors are inovlved then, to be honest, there's also something "far fetched" about that too. How exactly would that have been achieved, and by whom? I've tried initiating a discussion on child stranger abductions and alleged pedophile rings, how common they are and how they operate, but that effort didn't get very far.

I'm intrigued by the new investigations. I'm not sure if they will come to any satisfactory conclusion, as this is such a complicated case and so many years have passed now. But, to be opening up the inquiry again, they must have some kind of plausible theory or evidence, and that must be more than an old efit of Smithman.

Whatever the conclusion is, I could accept it if it was really conclusive and there weren't too many legitimate questions still lingering. Of course, perhaps the only conclusion that would put all questions to rest is if Madeleine were found, dead or alive.

Aegean

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 02:54:04 PM »
Needless to say, I voted 1 (I am willing to accept any eventual outcome despite my current beliefs).

Online Eleanor

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »
Needless to say, I voted 1 (I am willing to accept any eventual outcome despite my current beliefs).

So did I.  That is what I call open minded.

Aiofe

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 04:15:11 PM »
Yes I voted 3 to be fair and open minded. Notice pro McCann's aren't open minded. Innocent no matter what blazing to the top!

The figures don't seem to back you up- maybe the Pros just voted earlier.

Offline imustpointout

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 04:27:16 PM »
5 would be the pro vote

Online Eleanor

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 04:37:02 PM »
I voted for number one.

So did I, Neely, and already stated.  I wonder how they managed to miss that?  Mind you, I have long suspected that they only read what they want to read.

Aiofe

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 04:41:27 PM »
5 would be the pro vote

If Pros believe the Mccanns- there are two 'believe the McCanns' possibile votes.
If [ censored word] don't believe the Mccanns there are two 'don't believe the McCanns' possible votes.

Pros and [ censored word] then have the choice to be 'certain' or willing to change their mind. Option one is for true fencesitters.

Aiofe

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 04:43:14 PM »
Currently 75% are flexible and only 25% dogmatic. Why so many arguments if three quarters of the board admit that they might be proved wrong?

Online Eleanor

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 04:54:16 PM »
Currently 75% are flexible and only 25% dogmatic. Why so many arguments if three quarters of the board admit that they might be proved wrong?

You don't think we are arguing about who's right and who's wrong, do you?  I am arguing for the right to be innocent until proved guilty.
Some are arguing for a Kangaroo Court of their opinion.

Aiofe

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 04:56:46 PM »
You don't think we are arguing about who's right and who's wrong, do you?  I am arguing for the right to be innocent until proved guilty.
Some are arguing for a Kangaroo Court of their opinion.

I was thinking of the petty squabbles that continually deface the board. If there are only one in four people who are completely convinced they are right, they may have to face changing sides in future- surely if three quarters of the people at least admit that they may be wrong, then the board could become much more even tempered.