Author Topic: Child abduction UK  (Read 25154 times)

Offline Carana

Child abduction UK
« on: August 18, 2013, 11:15:02 AM »
How many people keep repeating that child abduction nearly always involves a family member or someone known to the child?

Thursday 23 May 2013
CHILD ABDUCTION REPORT REVEALS NEED FOR A REVAMPED ‘STRANGER-DANGER’ ALERT

Nearly half of all child abduction cases reported in the UK between 2011-12 were committed by strangers, according to police figures published in a unique report today.

‘Taken – a study of child abductions in the UK’ brings together, for the first time, academic expertise and a sample of police data to provide a snapshot of the extent of child abductions in the UK.

The report, commissioned by the charity Parents and Abducted Children Together (PACT) and the Child Exploitation and Online Protection (CEOP) Centre, comes just days before International Missing Children’s Day this Saturday (25 May).

The report re-ignites calls for a revamp of ‘stranger-danger’ warnings in the wake of findings which show that in 42 per cent of police reports studied, the abductor or would-be abductor was not known to the child. It also reveals that 17 per cent were abducted (or attempted) by a parent, two per cent by another family member and 35 per cent by someone known but not related to the child (four per cent were unknown offenders).

The report calls for the creation of a national child abduction ‘hub’ to give a clearer picture of the problem across the UK and provide data and support to improve how agencies deal with abductions.

It warns that at present the true extent of child abductions is “impossible” to calculate with the necessary accuracy because of inconsistencies in the recording of offences. It highlights how details of different types of child abductions are held by police forces, government, legal bodies and voluntary agencies, but that this information is not always published or made routinely available.

The report sets out 14 recommendations: from agreeing a UK-wide definition of child abduction, through improving how police record and respond to incidents, to revamping current ‘stranger-danger’ warnings for children and learning from why so many attempted stranger abductions fail.

Geoff Newiss, PACT’s Director of Research and author of the report said:

This new report exposes the reality of child abduction in the UK today. Whilst children are abducted by parents and people known to them, a large proportion of incidents still involve strangers, often trying to lure a child into a car, and sometimes succeeding in doing so. The big challenge is to find prevention strategies fit for the 21st century that children can use in a very practical way to keep themselves safe.”

The Founder and Chief Executive of PACT, Lady Catherine Meyer, CBE said:

Our report, prepared in close collaboration with CEOP, provides the first ever comprehensive picture of child abduction and child kidnapping in the UK. Many will find its revelations shocking. More importantly, by showing the extent of this hidden scandal, PACT’s report provides a vital platform for future action. The next stage of our work will be entirely focused on the practical steps necessary to protect our children from the would-be abductor."

In 2011, the Child Exploitation and Online Protection (CEOP) Centre took over the national strategic lead on missing children and now works with a wide range of partners to better understand and address the issue.

Chief Executive of CEOP, Peter Davies, said:

This is a unique and unprecedented report. We have never had a UK-wide picture of child abductions this detailed and compelling. It shows the immense harm that child abduction can do and that, contrary to what some might assume, a significant proportion of abductions are carried out by strangers.

“Any incident of a child going missing is a cause for concern. Fortunately, only a small proportion turn-out to be indicative of very serious harm. Together with our partners, we must constantly redouble our efforts to reduce the risk to children. International Missing Children’s Day is a good opportunity for us to reflect on this important and complex issue.”
http://ceop.police.uk/Media-Centre/Press-releases/2013/CHILD-ABDUCTION-REPORT-REVEALS-NEED-FOR-A-REVAMPED-STRANGER-DANGER-ALERT/

The actual study:

http://ceop.police.uk/Documents/ceopdocs/TAKEN_Final%20Copy.pdf

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 11:51:14 PM by Admin »

Offline Carana

Re: Child abduction UK
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 11:18:21 AM »
Copying over some background information / studies for anyone interested.

Nonfamily Abducted Children: National Estimates and Characteristics
David Finkelhor, Heather Hammer, and Andrea J. Sedlak

http://www.missingkids.com/en_US/documents/nismart2_nonfamily.pdf

A Portuguese article here on research by a clinical neuropsychologist on paedophiles.
http://www1.ionline.pt/conteudo/34070-como-pensa-um-pedofilo-o-que-vai-na-cabeca-13-agressores-sexuais

An FBI paper on motivations for child abduction at different stages of childhood.

http://leb.fbi.gov/2001-pdfs/leb-april-2001

Offline Chinagirl

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 11:38:50 AM »
Interesting, Carana.  Thank you for bringing that here.
A

stephen25000

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 11:45:21 AM »
This does not mean Madeleine was abducted.

Meanwhile why does the CFO still list what happened to Madeleine as 'type of crime unknown'  ?

Offline Carana

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 12:04:17 PM »
This does not mean Madeleine was abducted.

Meanwhile why does the CFO still list what happened to Madeleine as 'type of crime unknown'  ?

What's the CFO? Chief Financial Officer? Or did you mean FCO?

How else could it have been classified?

There is no categorical evidence that she was abducted: no CCTV images of someone carrying her; no passerby who saw her being actually carried out of the apartment, nor seeing her being stuffed into a car boot and screetching off, with the onlooker carefully noting the licence plate number. But how often is there any proof of that nature? We may hear more about such cases in the media because it's so rare as to be particularly newsworthy. They are the "lucky" ones.

There is no proof, either, that she's dead, whether as the result of an accident or murder. 

Offline sadie

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 12:48:08 PM »
Copying over some background information / studies for anyone interested.

Nonfamily Abducted Children: National Estimates and Characteristics
David Finkelhor, Heather Hammer, and Andrea J. Sedlak

http://www.missingkids.com/en_US/documents/nismart2_nonfamily.pdf

A Portuguese article here on research by a clinical neuropsychologist on paedophiles.
http://www1.ionline.pt/conteudo/34070-como-pensa-um-pedofilo-o-que-vai-na-cabeca-13-agressores-sexuais

An FBI paper on motivations for child abduction at different stages of childhood.

http://leb.fbi.gov/2001-pdfs/leb-april-2001
Carana

You get hold of some wonderful information.  Well done our kid!

Stephen , why dont you pause and read these webpages carefully.  Take on board what they are saying

Then reflect.

Consider whether you have been fair to The Mccanns, the parents of a missing little girl who they clearly loved dearly.  A little girl who they are still fighting for in an unprecedented way, despite the spiteful comments of people who know nothing about it .

Why don't you join the Brens of this world and try and look with an open mind?

Lyall

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 12:56:09 PM »
We do have open minds, Sadie, but six years after evidence was promised still none has ever been seen.

In 2007 they said "there is evidence, we just can't tell you now", yet four years later in their book none emerged.

Now we're told "police know more than you do" and you yourself claim to know secret information, but I personally don't blame anyone for thinking history will repeat itself and nothing will ever be seen.

Offline sadie

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 01:29:11 PM »
We do have open minds, Sadie, but six years after evidence was promised still none has ever been seen.

In 2007 they said "there is evidence, we just can't tell you now", yet four years later in their book none emerged.

Now we're told "police know more than you do" and you yourself claim to know secret information, but I personally don't blame anyone for thinking history will repeat itself and nothing will ever be seen.
About whether anything will be revealed, I am unable to answer.   This man is an elite with powerful very rich friends ... and if I am right, he is backed by an organisation that imo, nobody will take on.  Such is its global power.

I fully realise that I could be incorrect, but it has been amazing how clumps of the sorted jigsaw suddenly fitted together and became a whole (virtually) in a matter of weeks ... after 4 years hard slog. 

There are gaps, and I am not naive.  As an analogy, I can remember doing jigsaws that appeared Ok until I couldn't get the last piece in.  That happened because I had one piece in upside down, throwing the whole lot out. 

I know that could be the case here, but something extra-ordinary has happened which confirms the outline of my research and thoughts. 

I cannot share.

All that I am saying is that with all the evidence provided on this forum, it is time for [ censored word] to reflect, to think about it .... and at the very least to stop hounding and destroying a couple, a family, who have NO evidence against them. 

I am suggesting that some of you would benefit by "taking a leaf out of Brens book"

It happened on pfa2, a forum that was full of intellectuals.  Many oif them were [ censored word] / fencies originally,  but after the Rogs etc were released, they analysed them ...  and changed tbeir minds.  A brave thing to do.

In the end pfa2 was virtually totally a pro forum and full of convered peeps.

Only you can make the decision. 

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 01:39:20 PM »
About whether anything will be revealed, I am unable to answer.   This man is an elite with powerful very rich friends ... and if I am right, he is backed by an organisation that imo, nobody will take on.  Such is its global power.

I fully realise that I could be incorrect, but it has been amazing how clumps of the sorted jigsaw suddenly fitted together and became a whole (virtually) in a matter of weeks ... after 4 years hard slog. 

There are gaps, and I am not naive.  As an analogy, I can remember doing jigsaws that appeared Ok until I couldn't get the last piece in.  That happened because I had one piece in upside down, throwing the whole lot out. 

I know that could be the case here, but something extra-ordinary has happened which confirms the outline of my research and thoughts. 

I cannot share.

All that I am saying is that with all the evidence provided on this forum, it is time for [ censored word] to reflect, to think about it .... and at the very least to stop hounding and destroying a couple, a family, who have NO evidence against them. 

I am suggesting that some of you would benefit by "taking a leaf out of Brens book"

It happened on pfa2, a forum that was full of intellectuals.  Many oif them were [ censored word] / fencies originally,  but after the Rogs etc were released, they analysed them ...  and changed tbeir minds.  A brave thing to do.

In the end pfa2 was virtually totally a pro forum and full of convered peeps.

Only you can make the decision.

You do make me laugh sadie. Thanks for brightening my day  8(0(*
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:17:55 AM by Admin »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 01:45:01 PM »
Theres a very simple reason why children who are harmed a family member is involved or an adult known to the family. Children for the most part spend there time supervised by a family. they don't go to the pub on their own and they don't  get into taxis, go on holiday on their own.
the only time they are at risk from a stranger is when they are left on their own. Like in an apt in Portugal.

Lyall

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 01:45:40 PM »
I made it, Sadie, and I'm not a "[ censored word ]" 8(0(*

I see no evidence. Your theory falls when you claim "an organisation with global power" sends two amateurs into the field - one of whom leaves his dna on cigarette butts at the scene, and the other enters an apartment when he isn't certain the child's father has left it.

Not convincing >@@(*&)

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 02:00:27 PM »
In support of his op would Carana like to name any recent cases in the UK where a child was abducted by a stranger?   Many abduction by family cases never reach the statistics so I am not in the least surprised that this survey is flawed.

It is important to recognise that cases where the abductor is known to the child are far more common than cases where the abductor is a complete stranger.

https://missingkids.ca/app/en/non_family_abduction
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:09:07 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 02:08:07 PM »
In support of his op would Carana like to name any recent cases in the UK where a child was abducted by a stranger?

It is important to recognise that cases where the abductor is known to the child are far more common than cases where the abductor is a complete stranger.

Theres a very simple reason why children who are harmed a family member is involved or an adult known to the family. Children for the most part spend there time supervised by a family. they don't go to the pub on their own and they don't  get into taxis, go on holiday on their own.
the only time they are at risk from a stranger is when they are left on their own. Like in an apt in Portugal.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 02:10:41 PM »

And in an unsecured and unlocked apartment at that!!   And what makes it all the more surreal is they aren't even f..... looking for her...too busy rakin it in being a consultant!!   SHAMEFUL to be sure.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:15:03 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Carana

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 02:12:42 PM »
In support of his op would Carana like to name any recent cases in the UK where a child was abducted by a stranger?

- 37% are total strangers in that link

That's still a far cry from "almost negligible".