Author Topic: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)  (Read 400457 times)

Offline Brietta

Re: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)
« Reply #3885 on: February 03, 2019, 02:58:26 PM »
Did they do that immediately? Did they appeal immediately and regularly in the Portuguese media?

Yes they did ... even if perhaps you might recall the at the time the police apparently did not approve of publicity.

Madeleine McCann, 3, disappeared from the resort in Praia da Luz, Portugal, where her parents were vacationing on May 3, 2007. This missing-person poster, stuck to a board at a bus stop near the resort, reads, "Disappeared yesterday, if you see her contact the police."
http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/Nigel/id183.htm

The forum has of course discussed this or similar concerns on many past occasions ... for example John posted ...
Snip
No doubt in the panic to get something out there wouldn't have been much thought given to how old a particular photo was.  Just a thought but this particular first photo showing her in pink clothing might have had more to do with the pink PJ's she was wearing the night she disappeared.  I believe it was a short time later that her eye defect became a prominent feature in photos.
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=7811.msg367130#msg367130
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3886 on: February 03, 2019, 03:03:29 PM »
Sounds like the CMOMM Justice fighters at it again.

Mention of "Freedom of Information" does have that certain ring to it I think.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Online Eleanor

« Reply #3887 on: February 03, 2019, 03:13:22 PM »
Mention of "Freedom of Information" does have that certain ring to it I think.

That one didn't go well, did it.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3888 on: February 03, 2019, 03:25:29 PM »
That one didn't go well, did it.

I really don't know why they bother.  Just yet another illustration of an own goal over a fuss about nothing ... if I didn't know better I would think it was nothing but an attempt to throw a spanner into the works.

Snip
"Two of the allegations made against the cops were withdrawn and the final one was dropped by Scotland Yard when they decided there was no case to answer ...

One said: “Because the precise details of the allegations aren’t made public, it’s entirely possible good officers have been subjected to a complaints process even though there may be little merit in the allegations against them.”
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/757467/Madeleine-McCann-police-investigated-misconduct-Kate-Gerry-McCann-Portugal-missing-person?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-star-latest-news+%28Daily+Star+%3A%3A+News+Feed%29

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3889 on: February 07, 2019, 06:32:21 PM »
You know that argument “if the McCanns were being investigated do you really think we’d know anything about it”, well how does one  explain the fact that I’ve just read in the newspaper the name and life history of some chap in Hull who is being investigated for abducting a student? 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3890 on: February 07, 2019, 07:13:32 PM »
You know that argument “if the McCanns were being investigated do you really think we’d know anything about it”, well how does one  explain the fact that I’ve just read in the newspaper the name and life history of some chap in Hull who is being investigated for abducting a student?

It also shows the suspect's car being taken away after being loaded and secured onto a flatbed truck.

Offline misty

« Reply #3891 on: February 07, 2019, 07:58:40 PM »
https://www.portugalresident.com/2019/02/07/mother-jailed-for-killing-tragic-joana-released-to-get-on-with-life/

Leonor Cipriano – the Algarve mother jailed in 2006 for the murder of her eight year old daughter Joana – has been released after serving five-sixths of her sentence.

Talking to TVI24 at the gates of Odemira jail this morning, she said she was leaving with her head held high.

“I am going to work. I have a little job. I don’t need to say anymore”.

But the questions remain. What really happened to tragic Joana whose body has never been found?

Leonor and her now estranged brother João admitted in court that they had killed the little girl at her home in Figueira, midway between Portimão and Mexilhoeira Grande.

João claims to have cut up her body and hidden it in a chest freezer. The child’s remains were later ‘fed to the pigs’.

“I didn’t hurt her, I just killed her”, João told the court which originally passed sentences on him of 19 years and two months, and on Leonor of 20 years and four months.

The prosecution’s case was based on the theory that Leonor and João were engaged in an incestuous relationship – and that they killed Joana for having walked in on them both in bed.

But there have always been those that doubted the story – neighbours particularly. And now Leonor has once again insisted that she had nothing to do with her daughter’s disappearance, least of all her death.

In the mists of this morning in the Alentejo she answered the question “what happened that night when Joana left to go shopping ?” with “she left and never came home. Anyone who says she came home is lying”.

Leonor claims the only reason she admitted to having killed the little girl was because she was tortured by agents of the investigating PJ police.

“They tortured me so much, they left me black and blue from so much punching that I reached the point where I didn’t know what I was saying…”
This too is a sore point in the case: PJ inspectors Gonçalo Amaral and António Nunes Cardoso were given suspended jail sentences for profering false testimonies over the beating.

The condemnation was used liberally to discredit Amaral when he later went on to coordinate the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.
But back to Joana, and fact that a body has never been found. Leonor told TVI this morning: “I was condemned without proof. I did not kill my daughter I would never have hurt her”.

Even more, she claims that she “will go everywhere” she can to look for Joana, who would now be 22 years old.

natasha.donn@algarveresident.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline misty

« Reply #3892 on: February 07, 2019, 08:01:55 PM »
It also shows the suspect's car being taken away after being loaded and secured onto a flatbed truck.

Have been following this each day & I hope Libby is found soon. Her family must be suffering so much. 2 students gone in one week, one known unhappy outcome. However old our children are, they're never safe.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #3893 on: February 07, 2019, 08:49:34 PM »

He was arrested. We knew that the McCanns were suspects only after they were made arguidos but, officially, not during the investigation.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Erngath

« Reply #3894 on: February 07, 2019, 09:04:58 PM »
Have been following this each day & I hope Libby is found soon. Her family must be suffering so much. 2 students gone in one week, one known unhappy outcome. However old our children are, they're never safe.

Indeed.
And then the grandchildren come along and one hopes for their safety too.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3895 on: February 07, 2019, 09:17:36 PM »
He was arrested. We knew that the McCanns were suspects only after they were made arguidos but, officially, not during the investigation.
If the McCanns are once again prime suspects then that must be because of new evidence.  Why therefore have they not been arrested and questioned about it?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Online Eleanor

« Reply #3896 on: February 07, 2019, 09:20:34 PM »
https://www.portugalresident.com/2019/02/07/mother-jailed-for-killing-tragic-joana-released-to-get-on-with-life/

Leonor Cipriano – the Algarve mother jailed in 2006 for the murder of her eight year old daughter Joana – has been released after serving five-sixths of her sentence.

Talking to TVI24 at the gates of Odemira jail this morning, she said she was leaving with her head held high.

“I am going to work. I have a little job. I don’t need to say anymore”.

But the questions remain. What really happened to tragic Joana whose body has never been found?

Leonor and her now estranged brother João admitted in court that they had killed the little girl at her home in Figueira, midway between Portimão and Mexilhoeira Grande.

João claims to have cut up her body and hidden it in a chest freezer. The child’s remains were later ‘fed to the pigs’.

“I didn’t hurt her, I just killed her”, João told the court which originally passed sentences on him of 19 years and two months, and on Leonor of 20 years and four months.

The prosecution’s case was based on the theory that Leonor and João were engaged in an incestuous relationship – and that they killed Joana for having walked in on them both in bed.

But there have always been those that doubted the story – neighbours particularly. And now Leonor has once again insisted that she had nothing to do with her daughter’s disappearance, least of all her death.

In the mists of this morning in the Alentejo she answered the question “what happened that night when Joana left to go shopping ?” with “she left and never came home. Anyone who says she came home is lying”.

Leonor claims the only reason she admitted to having killed the little girl was because she was tortured by agents of the investigating PJ police.

“They tortured me so much, they left me black and blue from so much punching that I reached the point where I didn’t know what I was saying…”
This too is a sore point in the case: PJ inspectors Gonçalo Amaral and António Nunes Cardoso were given suspended jail sentences for profering false testimonies over the beating.

The condemnation was used liberally to discredit Amaral when he later went on to coordinate the investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.
But back to Joana, and fact that a body has never been found. Leonor told TVI this morning: “I was condemned without proof. I did not kill my daughter I would never have hurt her”.

Even more, she claims that she “will go everywhere” she can to look for Joana, who would now be 22 years old.

natasha.donn@algarveresident.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am pleased to hear this, in so far as it is possible to be pleased.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #3897 on: February 07, 2019, 09:59:19 PM »
‘Even more, she claims that she “will go everywhere” she can to look for Joana, who would now be 22 years old.’

I believe OJ Simpson said the same thing about finding Nicole’s killer.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3898 on: February 07, 2019, 10:03:02 PM »
‘Even more, she claims that she “will go everywhere” she can to look for Joana, who would now be 22 years old.’

I believe OJ Simpson said the same thing about finding Nicole’s killer.
Ah well then that settles it, she must be guilty then.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #3899 on: February 07, 2019, 10:04:26 PM »
Ah well then that settles it, she must be guilty then.

I thought OJ Simpson was acquitted.