Author Topic: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)  (Read 400432 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)
« Reply #4935 on: June 02, 2019, 12:38:20 PM »
Each year the intake was around 200 new students, but what has that got to do with the price of chips?

Do you understand words like elective, optional and mandatory?  If so, why are you churning out dross?

My Latin class was perhaps 25 to 30 pupils.  It was still the only one for my year.

How many times?
So not everyone... Those that were illiterate... Took Latin... So your Latin master had nothing to worry about
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:11:25 PM by Angelo222 »

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4936 on: June 02, 2019, 12:40:24 PM »
Davel is proposing that everyone in my year was forced to take Latin, when I have repeatedly made clear this was not the case.
It wasn’t a question.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:11:44 PM by Angelo222 »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4937 on: June 02, 2019, 12:40:38 PM »
On one reading of that 3 A's today could be seen as equal to 3 C's in your time. In other words A Levels are not as valuable as they used to be.

That's your interpretation and opinion... Not mine

Mine is that it is a sign that education is not dumbed down... We are still producing probably more professionals... So sil is wrong on that count too

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4938 on: June 02, 2019, 12:45:17 PM »
Davel is proposing that everyone in my year was forced to take Latin, when I have repeatedly made clear this was not the case.

I've never said anyone was forced to
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:12:18 PM by Angelo222 »

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4939 on: June 02, 2019, 12:50:18 PM »
So not everyone... Those that were illiterate... Took Latin... So your Latin master had nothing to worry about

You might like to retype your response, because it is meaningless.   *&(+(+
What's up, old man?

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4940 on: June 02, 2019, 12:53:26 PM »
I've never said anyone was forced to

100 students in a year = 100 students in Latin?

Of course you did!   &^^&*
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4941 on: June 02, 2019, 12:58:45 PM »
100 students in a year = 100 students in Latin?

Of course you did!   &^^&*
Cite for the word forced.... You need to read my posts precisely... Not add your own words and interpretations to them... And then imagine that's what I have said..

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4942 on: June 02, 2019, 12:59:36 PM »
You might like to retype your response, because it is meaningless.   *&(+(+

Meaningless to you... Not to others

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4943 on: June 02, 2019, 01:02:31 PM »
We are now firmly in the good old days.

When I was at secondary school it was forced to switch from selective, based on scholastic ability, to comprehensive, so everyone had identical access.

Our Latin teacher was distraught.  How was she supposed to teach Latin, when a fair chunk of the new intake could not read or write English?

A couple of years on and one of those cheeky chappies burned down the school gym in a deliberate act of arson.  Fortunately, the gym was separate from the other school buildings.

Did your Latin teacher not realise Latin was elective and he would not have to teach it to everyone

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4944 on: June 02, 2019, 01:05:28 PM »
In my school (posh boarding school) you were either bright and did Latin or dim and did DS.  I had to do Latin but would have gained so many more life skills from DS, so I feel I was somewhat disadvantaged by my high intelligence.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Erngath

« Reply #4945 on: June 02, 2019, 01:08:13 PM »
In my school (posh boarding school) you were either bright and did Latin or dim and did DS.  I had to do Latin but would have gained so many more life skills from DS, so I feel I was somewhat disadvantaged by my high intelligence.

I'm dim.
What's DS.
Domestic Science?
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4946 on: June 02, 2019, 01:16:00 PM »
I'm dim.
What's DS.
Domestic Science?
Yes.  Cooking and that.  The girls who did DS were always very popular on a Friday afternoon as they usually had made something quite tasty that they were willing to share, and which always knocked spots off school teas which were inadequate and vile.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #4947 on: June 02, 2019, 01:17:41 PM »
I have no idea what the current primary system is like, so i'm not going to debate that.

My own experience at primary school was no streaming.  Classes simply weren't big enough to support such a notion.

I remember one occasion when the teacher hoiked myself and one other boy up to the front of the class to have a long-division race on the blackboard.

My parents were working class with little formal education.  We were never well-off, but we never went short.

My opponent came from a very large family that could only be described as dirt poor.  He would often turn up dressed like a Charles Dickens ragamuffin.  I don't know whether he got enough to eat.

He struggled academically, quite possibly due to his adverse family situation.

The long-division race began.  I won, but only by a nose.

The teacher must have twigged that though this boy struggled with other areas of his schooling, he had a natural affinity for long division, of all things.  She had given him his chance to shine.

I have a very good idea of the Primary Education System from the 1950's to the present and there is no doubt in my mind that it is vastly superior now.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4948 on: June 02, 2019, 01:19:09 PM »

I have a very good idea of the Primary Education System from the 1950's to the present and there is no doubt in my mind that it is vastly superior now.
Undoubtedly true, and teachers are no longer allowed to beat kids with sticks either which is a marked improvement. 

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #4949 on: June 02, 2019, 01:19:55 PM »
Did your Latin teacher not realise Latin was elective and he would not have to teach it to everyone

Our Latin teacher was a she, though that is not important.

She was obliged to attempt to teach Latin to everyone who elected to take it.

That's the whole point of her original comment.

You appear to enjoy going round in circles.
What's up, old man?