Author Topic: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)  (Read 400423 times)

Online Eleanor

Re: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)
« Reply #5085 on: June 11, 2019, 03:55:47 PM »
I complained to John about members blocking Moderators.  OK Davel and I could have discussed much of the issue off the forum via personal messages (PM) but I was blocked.

Most other forums that was considered an offence to block a moderator.   OK how do you feel about that?  Should you be allowed to block a moderator?

The Rule is that you may block a Moderator.  I only found it difficult when I wanted to say something pleasant to a Member .. And as what was said to me was it was their loss, I settled for that.  But then I have never had any desire to say something unpleasant by PM.  Neither do I feel inclined to apologise or explain what I choose to do.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #5086 on: June 11, 2019, 03:59:44 PM »
To be fair it was all a bit ridiculous. I tried to lend some sense to proceedings (I don't have much to give), but it fell on deaf ears. Rob and Dave were on a mission and I think both should have been moderated.
I know it's hard for some to comprehend, but this forum ,and your really important stance on a certain point, is not so important. Squabbling over the nuances of an obscure facet of the Portuguese legal framework with strangers on the internet who you have decided you hate, is futile.

I was guilty of this on a forum about 10 years ago, until I had a Damasean epiphany when I decided I wanted to physically have an actual real life fight with my online nemesis - long story curtailed - I logged out, switched the computer off and never went back to the forum - I was trying to find this guys home address to go round there to fill him in.
We all think we're clever. We're all perfect and we're all always right. We get it.

A Good Post.  Well, the first bit anyway.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #5087 on: June 11, 2019, 04:00:56 PM »
The Rule is that you may block a Moderator.  I only found it difficult when I wanted to say something pleasant to a Member .. And as what was said to me was it was their loss, I settled for that.  But then I have never had any desire to say something unpleasant by PM.  Neither do I feel inclined to apologise or explain what I choose to do.

I've never been tempted to put any poster on ignore.
It is much more satisfying to read the drivel some post, have a good laugh at the drivel and then ignore the drivel!
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #5088 on: June 11, 2019, 04:03:11 PM »
I was thinking the other day when we had our little moment, I thought of all the people here I relate to you the most as we behave similarly.

And just what you talk about above is where I was 2-3 years ago, adjusting and learning.

Now for the last year or so I've been learning the art of moderator.  It is a complex issue and I'm trying to make a difference.
(It was around Christmas 2017 that I was invited to be a moderator.   (So 1.5 years so far).

It is a learning curve, several actually.  I can't remember how long I have been doing this.  But in the end you have to believe in yourself while being open to learning something else.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #5089 on: June 11, 2019, 05:22:02 PM »
He can't block you but he can put you on ignore.
Well I tried to send him 2 PMs that could not be sent according to the message I got back.   That surprised me.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #5090 on: June 11, 2019, 05:32:25 PM »
I don't think you're helping Davel  when you paint him as a victim. He's no shrinking violet and he often reaps what he's sown imo.

I thought that when I read it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 05:44:34 PM by Robittybob1 »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #5091 on: June 11, 2019, 05:32:39 PM »
To be fair it was all a bit ridiculous. I tried to lend some sense to proceedings (I don't have much to give), but it fell on deaf ears. Rob and Dave were on a mission and I think both should have been moderated.
I know it's hard for some to comprehend, but this forum ,and your really important stance on a certain point, is not so important. Squabbling over the nuances of an obscure facet of the Portuguese legal framework with strangers on the internet who you have decided you hate, is futile.

I was guilty of this on a forum about 10 years ago, until I had a Damasean epiphany when I decided I wanted to physically have an actual real life fight with my online nemesis - long story curtailed - I logged out, switched the computer off and never went back to the forum - I was trying to find this guys home address to go round there to fill him in.
We all think we're clever. We're all perfect and we're all always right. We get it.
What were you arguing about, out of interest?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #5092 on: June 11, 2019, 05:33:32 PM »
I thought that when I read it.
You can always rely of Faith for a nice little goad, she does it so well.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 08:56:51 PM by John »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline The General

« Reply #5093 on: June 11, 2019, 05:35:02 PM »
What were you arguing about, out of interest?
I wasn't, it was Roberto and Davel. I was the ref who gets punched in the face for his trouble.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline Erngath

« Reply #5094 on: June 11, 2019, 05:37:26 PM »
You can always rely of Faith for a nice little goad, she does it so well.

Especially the ageism reference. Lol.
"Elderly lady".
Oops time to get the knitting out!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 05:39:41 PM by Erngath »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline The General

« Reply #5095 on: June 11, 2019, 05:37:56 PM »
A Good Post.  Well, the first bit anyway.
Yeh, I'm not proud. What can ya do, you live and learn.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #5096 on: June 11, 2019, 05:40:19 PM »
I wasn't, it was Roberto and Davel. I was the ref who gets punched in the face for his trouble.
No, I mean when you were trying to track someone down in real life to punch in the face, 10 years ago.

Offline Lace

« Reply #5097 on: June 11, 2019, 05:40:58 PM »
IMO very little that is libelous gets posted on this forum.

As for humour, its more a case to taking the piss out of the likes of you and your attitudes towards the McCanns and the inventive excuses you make for them.

Why are the supporters of an abduction,  often accused of 'making excuses'  for the McCann's?    How can you debate if you can't put forward your opinion as to what you believe happened?   I really get quite annoyed by being accused of 'making excuses'  if I come up with a reason why the McCann's said something or did something,  it's my opinion and I and other supporters of an abduction are entitled to an opinion.

Those who don't agree with what a supporter says don't get accused of making excuses for an abuctor do they?

Offline jassi

« Reply #5098 on: June 11, 2019, 05:43:51 PM »
Why are the supporters of an abduction,  often accused of 'making excuses'  for the McCann's?    How can you debate if you can't put forward your opinion as to what you believe happened?   I really get quite annoyed by being accused of 'making excuses'  if I come up with a reason why the McCann's said something or did something,  it's my opinion and I and other supporters of an abduction are entitled to an opinion.

Those who don't agree with what a supporter says don't get accused of making excuses for an abuctor do they?

How, or indeed why should one make excuses for something that doesn't exist ?

IMO  (as requested)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 05:49:42 PM by jassi »
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #5099 on: June 11, 2019, 05:45:41 PM »
The years ago situation.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.