Author Topic: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)  (Read 400405 times)

Offline Anthro

Re: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)
« Reply #5760 on: November 17, 2019, 06:05:53 PM »
Why is the animosity, by some, towards the McCanns so severe and often veiled as subtext? Is it in essence aimed at them, or rather a system that decides how citizens’ contribution towards the coffers is allocated? Please remove if this is considered to be ‘off topic’.

Offline jassi

« Reply #5761 on: November 17, 2019, 06:07:10 PM »
Not sure whether it was a stalker or opportunistic journalism , considering that the photos were part of a newspaper article.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #5762 on: November 17, 2019, 06:07:20 PM »
Why is the animosity, by some, towards the McCanns so severe and often veiled as subtext? Is it in essence aimed at them, or rather a system that decides how citizens’ contribution towards the coffers is allocated? Please remove if this is considered to be ‘off topic’.
This question should have its own thread.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #5763 on: November 17, 2019, 06:10:05 PM »
Not sure whether it was a stalker or opportunistic journalism , considering that the photos were part of a newspaper article.
The photos were taken by a facebook troll who set up a fake profile in Madeleine’s name to taunt the McCanns.  I expect you find that perfectly acceptable behaviour but not everyone shares your values (or lack of them).
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline jassi

« Reply #5764 on: November 17, 2019, 06:14:15 PM »
The photos were taken by a facebook troll who set up a fake profile in Madeleine’s name to taunt the McCanns.  I expect you find that perfectly acceptable behaviour but not everyone shares your values (or lack of them).

I don't find it acceptable but I have no responsibility for whatever others do.
This person obviously feels very strongly about the subject. That is their right, provided they stay within the law.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Online Wonderfulspam

« Reply #5765 on: November 17, 2019, 06:15:38 PM »

The McCanns don't use social media so they wouldn't have known anything about it had the mainstream media not been so insensitive in broadcasting the harmless trolling.

One thing I noticed from the pictures is that I have bigger boobs than Kate.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #5766 on: November 17, 2019, 06:35:39 PM »
The McCanns don't use social media so they wouldn't have known anything about it had the mainstream media not been so insensitive in broadcasting the harmless trolling.

One thing I noticed from the pictures is that I have bigger boobs than Kate.
I thought the McCanns had an official facebook page?  Congratulations on your moobs btw, you must be delighted.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #5767 on: November 17, 2019, 06:37:37 PM »
This person obviously feels very strongly about the subject. That is their right, provided they stay within the law.
Did I accuse you of having responsibility for whatever others do?  People can do all sorts of nasty, vindictive, spiteful, immoral, b........ things that are within the law and it is also within the law to name and shame such people for their actions, IMO. 

Offline Lace

« Reply #5768 on: November 19, 2019, 01:17:02 PM »

You say 'this person obviously feels very strongly about the subject'   subject of what?   Kate and Gerry dining out?

It wasn't against the law,  but you must ask yourself 'why'  this person is certainly obsessed with the McCann's.

Offline jassi

« Reply #5769 on: November 19, 2019, 01:38:25 PM »
You say 'this person obviously feels very strongly about the subject'   subject of what?   Kate and Gerry dining out?

It wasn't against the law,  but you must ask yourself 'why'  this person is certainly obsessed with the McCann's.

I was meaning the Madeleine McCann affair generally.
It seems to attract obsessives among both sceptics and supporters

Or maybe not -

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #5770 on: November 19, 2019, 03:46:48 PM »
I was meaning the Madeleine McCann affair generally.
It seems to attract obsessives among both sceptics and supporters

Everybody commenting here is obsessive to some degree.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #5771 on: February 22, 2020, 11:08:47 PM »
Madeleine McCann police quiz British expat barmaid over her German ex-boyfriend

Madeleine McCann police quiz British expat barmaid over her German ex-boyfriend

Police probing the disappearance of Madeleine McCann have quizzed a British barmaid about her German ex-boyfriend.

Carol Hickman, 59, was asked for information on Michael Jehle, 51, who lives near Praia da Luz – where Maddie, three, vanished in 2007.

But Mr Jehle insisted to the Sunday Mirror: “I don’t know about Maddie. Police know where I live.”

Barmaid Carol Hickman told of her shock today.

Expat Carol – who works at Kelly’s Bar just 450 metres from where Madeleine vanished on May 3, 2007 – said two plain-clothed officers acting for Scotland Yard asked about the German decorator.

They wanted phone numbers and any Facebook contact.

The Sunday Mirror has learned another of his exes was quizzed in 2007 – and had her freezer searched.

As the mystery deepened yesterday, baffled Carol, 59, described Mr Jehle as “a friendly hippy”.

And when our team tracked him down he said he had nothing to hide.

Carol said officers from the Portuguese Judicial Police were trying to trace her ex and another of his old flames, a German woman.

Carol, 59, who has lived on the Algarve since 1997, told us: “They came into the bar and said ‘You can thank Her Majesty for this visit’.

"That’s when I knew they were from Scotland Yard. They asked if I could remember May 3, 2007.

“Of course I remember. I was in the bar and we had a call from friends saying a little girl had vanished. We went out on the search and we were out all night.”

Carol said the police visited her two weeks ago – first at the bar, followed by an interview at her home.

She went on: “They were asking about Madeleine and interested in my German ex-boyfriend.

"We were in an 18-month relationship, but at the time of Maddie’s disappearance hadn’t been together for years.

“There’s no reason to suspect him at all. I’m amazed I’m being asked about him. He was a friendly hippy.

"I just find it so strange, the whole thing. The police asked if I had any contact numbers or if I was friends on Facebook, but I’m not.”

It is the second time Kelly’s Bar – a four-minute walk from the McCanns’ apartment – has been mentioned in the investigation.

On the night Madeleine vanished Martin Smith, from Co Louth, Ireland, was there with his family.

As they left they saw a man carrying a small blonde girl who they believe to be Madeleine.

Tonight, the memory remained vivid as Martin told the Sunday Mirror: “I’d say it was definitely the child.

"I’d say it definitely had to be. The place was very quiet at that time of year so I’d say it was definitely the child.”

The latest developments come as it is revealed for the first time that Scotland Yard detectives visited Portugal five times in 2019.

There is nothing to suggest Mr Jehle or the German woman are considered suspects.

It is thought they could help police obtain new information to help in the search.

Mr Jehle has been in Portugal since 1995 and now lives in Monte Novo, Bensafrim, 20 miles from Praia da Luz.

When the Mirror traced him he had no idea why officers had been talking to Carol. Mr Jehle said: “I don’t know anything about Maddie McCann.

“I lived in Praia da Luz for many years, then I moved. I don’t know why the police [are asking about Maddie].

"Everybody knows me, about three months ago people called me and said police were looking for me.

“They were looking for me for another reason. I had to go to court because I had a problem with a friend. This was nothing to do [with Maddie].

“[The police] know where I live, they have my phone number, they can call me.

"I was with Carol in 2004. It was only for one year. She works in Kelly’s Bar, she’s still a good friend of mine.

"I have another girlfriend now. I have had many girlfriends.”

In 2007 another of Mr Jehle’s ex-partners told how she was quizzed by police.

She said then: “Six police, some British, entered my apartment. They told my boyfriend not to move while they looked under the bed.”

On a second visit they reportedly checked her freezer, cupboards and pantry.

She said police officers told her: “We are looking for Madeleine.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccann-police-quiz-british-21556263
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 11:37:19 PM by pathfinder73 »
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #5772 on: February 22, 2020, 11:24:18 PM »
Yep, definitely sounds like the McCanns are firmly in the frame!

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #5773 on: February 22, 2020, 11:49:08 PM »
She was working at Kelly's Bar on 3 May 2007. If they didn't ask her any questions about the Smiths visit that night then off with their heads  8)--))
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline misty

« Reply #5774 on: February 23, 2020, 12:50:23 AM »
She was working at Kelly's Bar on 3 May 2007. If they didn't ask her any questions about the Smiths visit that night then off with their heads  8)--))

The article doesn't say she was working in Kelly's Bar on 3/5/07, only that she was in the bar when she had a phone call notifying her about Madeleine's disappearance.