Author Topic: Were the media wrong to settle defamation actions out of court?  (Read 49972 times)

Offline jassi

Re: Were the media wrong to settle defamation actions out of court?
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2018, 10:04:01 AM »
Yes, much better if the media had ignored the McCanns altogether and just reported news updates about the case as and when they happened. IMO
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2018, 10:13:32 AM »
Yes, much better if the media had ignored the McCanns altogether and just reported news updates about the case as and when they happened. IMO
But what about Lord Bell's boast of being paid 500,000 pounds to keep the McCanns in the headlines.    Was that the McCanns doing?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline jassi

« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2018, 10:15:50 AM »
But what about Lord Bell's boast of being paid 500,000 pounds to keep the McCanns in the headlines.    Was that the McCanns doing?

Done on behalf of the McCanns, though not necessarily directly by them.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2018, 10:20:25 AM »

I agree.

Investigative journalism is all but dead in this country! whitewash can be bought. The McCanns used the newspapers as their pet mouthpieces to do their bidding of portraying 'loving caring family-victims of mad child stealing monster'

We never heard the whole story until the files were released. So the newspapers should have held back, also to ensure the McCanns got a fair trial if they were going to be charged with anything in this country.
They involved very powerful  people to promote themselves with the ' do you know who we are' syndrome. (We are un touchable) now known as the Jimmy Seville syndrome. (people suspect something, but do and say, nothing) these include The pope. the UK Government, Oprah  (who is a powerful voice in the USA), and even the Royal Family got  approached via website...not to mention football players and a football team and celebrities galore.

Amaral  saw things differently and wrote about them... oh dear.. then they lost that case,  oh dear again...
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2018, 10:29:35 AM »

I agree.

Investigative journalism is all but dead in this country! whitewash can be bought. The McCanns used the newspapers as their pet mouthpieces to do their bidding of portraying 'loving caring family-victims of mad child stealing monster'

We never heard the whole story until the files were released. So the newspapers should have held back, also to ensure the McCanns got a fair trial if they were going to be charged with anything in this country.
They involved very powerful  people to promote themselves with the ' do you know who we are' syndrome. (We are un touchable) now known as the Jimmy Seville syndrome. (people suspect something, but do and say, nothing) these include The pope. the UK Government, Oprah  (who is a powerful voice in the USA), and even the Royal Family got  approached via website...not to mention football players and a football team and celebrities galore.

Amaral  saw things differently and wrote about them... oh dear.. then they lost that case,  oh dear again...

The McCanns
Leveson devotes almost 12 pages to the McCann family. Some of the reporting of the disappearance of three-year-old Madeleine McCann from Praia da Luz in Portugal in May 2007 was, Leveson says, "outrageous". A number of newspapers were "guilty of gross libels", with the Daily Star singled out for its headline claiming the McCanns sold their child: "Maddie sold by hard up McCanns".

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2012/nov/29/leveson-report-key-points
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2018, 11:32:20 AM »
IMO the McCanns did align themselves to the 'elite'  for the purpose of deluding themselves  as 'untouchables' (the- do you know who I am-syndrome) Only in my opinion.

Mingling with those I have mentioned heads of states etc, Someone with access to these people ensured they would they find time to attend to these working class ordinary doctors who went out for a drink and left their babies alone?

The picture of Gerry as a statesman posing with the white house USA behind him is hilarious...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:31:30 PM by John »
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Brietta

« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2018, 12:21:13 PM »
That is rather a unique view.

I don't think so ... why would you think otherwise?

"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2018, 12:54:10 PM »
You have to remember, he was describing the investigation.

Again... Nowhere in the investigation  does it state there is proof maddie died in the apartment... As amaral has claimed

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2018, 03:12:30 PM »
But could of course silence amaral in the future

Maybe so but nothing to do with the subject matter of this thread.
Lest ye forget; a settlement out of court does not reflect guilt of either party.
Libel in the UK press was never tested, the plaintiffs and defendants preferring to enter into a different sort of contract as it were. What would be interesting to know is whether the settlement were reached pre or post actual court proceedings.
I doubt we know that for sure, carefully choreographed and posed for photos on the steps of the court in The Strand notwithstanding.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2018, 03:13:56 PM »
Again... Nowhere in the investigation  does it state there is proof maddie died in the apartment... As amaral has claimed

Again, where you there?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2018, 04:08:32 PM »
Maybe so but nothing to do with the subject matter of this thread.
Lest ye forget; a settlement out of court does not reflect guilt of either party.
Libel in the UK press was never tested, the plaintiffs and defendants preferring to enter into a different sort of contract as it were. What would be interesting to know is whether the settlement were reached pre or post actual court proceedings.
I doubt we know that for sure, carefully choreographed and posed for photos on the steps of the court in The Strand notwithstanding.

so did the newsaper have a defence for libel..angelo who started the thread suggested they had resonable suspicion...which is not a defence...without a defence they had to settle

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2018, 06:41:05 PM »
I know.
The fact remains that there was no supporting evidence to justify Christopher Jefferie's arrest for which he received a police apology; just as there was no supporting evidence to justify making the McCanns arguidos.
But what about  Angelo's "In the Joanna Yeates case it was the murderer who initially pointed the finger at Mr Jefferies so as to deflect attention from himself."   Could that have happened in the McCann case?  i.e the person responsible pointing the finger back at the McCanns?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2018, 06:43:18 PM »
so did the newsaper have a defence for libel..angelo who started the thread suggested they had resonable suspicion...which is not a defence...without a defence they had to settle

That is totally irrelevant now. As neither side wished to put it to the test in front of a judge, preferring instead to settle under certain conditions,we can only speculate whether there was any viable defence.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:48:56 PM by John »
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2018, 06:51:41 PM »
Again, where you there?
If he was we could ask "Did Davel have a hand in it?"  Reasonable suspicion and all.
Moderation

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2018, 07:27:51 PM »
That is totally irrelevant now. As neither side wished to put it to the test in front of a judge, preferring instead to settle under certain conditions,we can only speculate whether there was a viable defence.

As regards your claim of the mccanns not wanting to go to court... Opinion not fact... Or speculation