Author Topic: HM Queen Elizabeth II passes away at the age of 96.  (Read 5656 times)

Offline Myster

Re: HM Queen Elizabeth II passes away at the age of 96.
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2022, 07:19:14 AM »
HRH's cutting description of Denys Lasdun's brutalist National Theatre - "A clever way of building a nuclear power station in the middle of London without anyone objecting."...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_National_Theatre#/media/File:National_Theatre,_London.jpg

Other quotes... https://uk.news.yahoo.com/charles-king-own-words-180738884.html
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2022, 11:25:41 AM »
Although from experience, some women can send you potty, down the pan and round the bend.

As can some men.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Online Eleanor

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2022, 09:13:57 PM »

I don't know about anyone else but I am feeling quite desolate and unable to fully process that this has happened.
I did believe that The Queen would go on for a while yet

However, I do expect King Charles the Third to do a fine and noble job, even if in his own way.

Online Wonderfulspam

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2022, 10:19:58 PM »
I don't know about anyone else but I am feeling quite desolate and unable to fully process that this has happened.

However, I do expect King Charles the Third to do a fine and noble job, even if in his own way.

I watched most of the coverage last couple of days as I've never seen a change of monarch in my lifetime.
I think/hope Charles will be a good king, he has been practicing all his life for the role, had a long time to learn from his mother, & I think with guidance from his sons he may try to modernise the monarchy a little.
He is up against it in some respects though with the Scots & Welsh wanting to breakaway, along with some members of the commonwealth. It all did seem slightly surreal watching the events as all I've ever known was her maj being at the helm.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2022, 10:57:55 PM »

It was always going to happen sooner or later but that doesn’t make it any less sad or hard to process.  I think once the funeral is over we can start to view this as a new beginning and try and embrace some sense of optimism about the future.  I take a little bit of comfort from news such as Ukraine having some success in regaining territory from the Russians, King Charles’ assured, reassuring  and heartfelt address to the nation, even the two princes and their wives appearing in public together sends a positive message of forgiveness and reconciliation.  One has to grasp these little glimmers of hope and positivity where one can at the moment, and try not to dwell too much on the negative, overwhelming though it can sometimes seem.  It’s a massively turbulent time for our nation - a new PM and a new Head of State in under a week, it’s alot to got one’s head around.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 11:04:43 PM by Vertigo Swirl »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2022, 11:09:52 PM »
Spare a thought for Charles though who is already far beyond retirement age and now has to start doing the job he’s been in training for nearly all his life.  Rather him than me.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline sadie

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2022, 11:48:52 PM »
I have enjoyed watching all the background programs about Elizabeth.  She had a lovely childhood roaming the hills and lands of her parents estates in Scotland   Walking, pony riding and exploring where she wanted freely in the open air.  The country life: Wonderful.

I have admired her vivacity and wonderful sense of humour.   Her sense of Duty has been amazing.   No wonder such adoring crowds have turned out for her.   What is truly amazing is the way that the World has reacted to her death.   Everyone seems to have loved her

It has been good to see King Charles III and his Queen receive such a welcome.   He has made a very good start IMO.

And how his Mother Queen Elizabeth II  would have been pleased to see William and Kate side by side with Harry and Megan.  I hope that the family can build bridges.

I wasn't unduly interested before it all started but it has been fascinating seeing parts of Royal residences and Historical pagentry that I knew nothing about.  Scotland has done her part so well.   Am waiting to see the English part in its entirety.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2022, 10:14:59 AM »
Elizabeth II was and always will be a hugely significant figure on the world stage. She had no political power, but worked tirelessly to build and maintain rewarding relationships with those who did. Any world leader who was invited to meet her admitted to being both honoured and nervous.

The ceremonies we're seeing demonstrate the UK's long history and the traditions which have developed over time. Somehow the UK has managed to acknowledge and embrace the past and incorporate it into the present. Some of the rituals are a little bizarre in the modern world, but they are comforting too.

I was also pleased to see in the archive footage how much she enjoyed her life when 'off duty'.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2022, 10:20:16 AM »
Someone said this recently (and it may have been someone I don't usually agree with like JRM or Bojo, but I think it is a good observation) and I paraphrase:
The monarch unites us, while the politicians divide us. 

More unity and less division would be good IMO!

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2022, 11:41:54 AM »
Someone said this recently (and it may have been someone I don't usually agree with like JRM or Bojo, but I think it is a good observation) and I paraphrase:
The monarch unites us, while the politicians divide us. 

More unity and less division would be good IMO!

We're very lucky to have a monarchy which can be the focus for unity. Polititians can never provide that because their whole purpose is to further the interests of the members of their own parties. They are always aware of that, no matter how much they insist that they act in the national interest.

Result = happy posting.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2022, 12:02:19 PM »
We're very lucky to have a monarchy which can be the focus for unity. Polititians can never provide that because their whole purpose is to further the interests of the members of their own parties. They are always aware of that, no matter how much they insist that they act in the national interest.

Who needs a Republic when A President would only be in the job for their own ends, usually in the hope of becoming A Dictator.

You think France doesn't regret bumping off their Royal Family?  Take a look at some of their more recent Presidents.  What a shambles most of them were.  Although Macron seems to be doing okay.  But he will be gone soon.

Fortunately, Tony Blair will never be President of The EU which is what he was after.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2022, 12:21:54 PM »
Personally I think that's cynical nonsense.  Was the NHS set up to further the interests of Labour Party members?  Is support for  the Ukranians and capping energy prices done simply to further the interests of Tory Party members?   Of course all politicians will be mindful of their support base, but many if not most politicians go into politics because they believe they can improve the country they live in and the lives of those that live in it, not to get rich and not to fulfill some sinister agenda.  IMO. 

Online Eleanor

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2022, 12:31:45 PM »
Personally I think that's cynical nonsense.  Was the NHS set up to further the interests of Labour Party members?  Is support for  the Ukranians and capping energy prices done simply to further the interests of Tory Party members?   Of course all politicians will be mindful of their support base, but many if not most politicians go into politics because they believe they can improve the country they live in and the lives of those that live in it, not to get rich and not to fulfill some sinister agenda.  IMO.

Unfortunately, The Labour Party thought we would all be dead long before we actually are.  They provided for the wrong generation who had just survived A War on far too little to eat but with hearts of steel.

I haven't been to a Doctor in 25 years.  But no doubt The Queen got excellent medical advice, as well she should have done.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2022, 02:10:06 PM »

It's not cynical, it's factual.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2022, 02:12:08 PM »
It's not cynical, it's factual.
It’s not factual, it’s your opinion.