Author Topic: Goncalo Amaral.  (Read 408280 times)

Offline Brietta

Re: Goncalo Amaral.
« Reply #555 on: June 13, 2020, 11:01:18 AM »
Bungling local Madeleine McCann officers froze me out, says top UK detective who claims 'macho, 1970s culture' of Portuguese police hindered the hunt for suspect
He could have helped while evidence was fresh but his input was unwelcome

On May 7, 2007, Dr Hill – then a Surrey detective superintendent seconded to the UK’s new Child Exploitation and Online Protection centre – flew to Portugal to lend expert help to the hunt for Madeleine.

Detective Superintendent Hill – who had secured the world’s first conviction based on familial DNA – could have helped while the evidence was still fresh.

But thanks to systemic dysfunction and suspicion of outside intervention by the Portuguese police team – led by detective Goncalo Amaral, who would be removed from the case and publish a book which made false allegations against Madeleine’s parents – his input was unwelcome.

‘It was fraught from the word go. The detectives were very polite and measured but also suspicious of why we were there and what we were seeking to achieve. I only met Amaral on that first occasion and one further meeting. Clearly he felt he did not need my help.’

Dr Hill said he asked every day for information or a meeting with someone connected to the case, adding: ‘I had to do all the pushing. The meeting would be scheduled then, invariably, cancelled.

‘If I asked about search strategies they would simply tell me they were doing everything possible. If I asked about known sex offenders they would tell me it was all in hand. I was kept at a distance. I could offer advice on predatory sex offenders and hope they would show some interest and engage, but they didn’t.

It was several days before they even told him they were focused on a prime suspect – British expat Robert Murat. Dr Hill offered them advice on interview techniques, which was the only time he believes they ever really listened to him, but Murat proved to be completely innocent.

No other suspects were ever mentioned to him. The McCanns only became suspects, or ‘arguidos’, in September – another indication of how the investigation was run badly from the start.

Dr Hill said that had Portuguese detectives been more willing to discuss the case ‘I would have told them the first people they needed to eliminate from the investigation is the parents or a relative’. He added: ‘For the Portuguese to make them suspects months later was complete nonsense.

‘The job had got away from them very early on and they never recovered. It was too big for them.’

After ten days of passive obstruction, Dr Hill returned to the UK.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8416013/Bungling-local-Madeleine-McCann-officers-froze-says-UK-detective.html

"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #556 on: June 13, 2020, 11:28:59 AM »
Bungling local Madeleine McCann officers froze me out, says top UK detective who claims 'macho, 1970s culture' of Portuguese police hindered the hunt for suspect
He could have helped while evidence was fresh but his input was unwelcome

On May 7, 2007, Dr Hill – then a Surrey detective superintendent seconded to the UK’s new Child Exploitation and Online Protection centre – flew to Portugal to lend expert help to the hunt for Madeleine.

Detective Superintendent Hill – who had secured the world’s first conviction based on familial DNA – could have helped while the evidence was still fresh.

But thanks to systemic dysfunction and suspicion of outside intervention by the Portuguese police team – led by detective Goncalo Amaral, who would be removed from the case and publish a book which made false allegations against Madeleine’s parents – his input was unwelcome.

‘It was fraught from the word go. The detectives were very polite and measured but also suspicious of why we were there and what we were seeking to achieve. I only met Amaral on that first occasion and one further meeting. Clearly he felt he did not need my help.’

Dr Hill said he asked every day for information or a meeting with someone connected to the case, adding: ‘I had to do all the pushing. The meeting would be scheduled then, invariably, cancelled.

‘If I asked about search strategies they would simply tell me they were doing everything possible. If I asked about known sex offenders they would tell me it was all in hand. I was kept at a distance. I could offer advice on predatory sex offenders and hope they would show some interest and engage, but they didn’t.

It was several days before they even told him they were focused on a prime suspect – British expat Robert Murat. Dr Hill offered them advice on interview techniques, which was the only time he believes they ever really listened to him, but Murat proved to be completely innocent.

No other suspects were ever mentioned to him. The McCanns only became suspects, or ‘arguidos’, in September – another indication of how the investigation was run badly from the start.

Dr Hill said that had Portuguese detectives been more willing to discuss the case ‘I would have told them the first people they needed to eliminate from the investigation is the parents or a relative’. He added: ‘For the Portuguese to make them suspects months later was complete nonsense.

‘The job had got away from them very early on and they never recovered. It was too big for them.’

After ten days of passive obstruction, Dr Hill returned to the UK.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8416013/Bungling-local-Madeleine-McCann-officers-froze-says-UK-detective.html

Sound like an ego who’s had his nose put out of joint.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #557 on: June 13, 2020, 11:30:02 AM »
Apparently procedure is that you check out the family and anyone else in close contact for elimination purposes.  But according to his book Amaral suspected the parents from day one before any investigation was carried out and never deviated from that. Why don't you think that is devious and flawed when he was subsequently proved to be so wrong.

TOTL pages 15/16

4th May in the morning. Amaral lists the possibilities, but chooses no one of them above the other.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Brietta

« Reply #558 on: June 13, 2020, 11:37:03 AM »

That is exactly what I read into it ... the one thing Amaral has in spades is an ego and like a few egocentrics he allowed his to get in the way of functioning efficiently in the day job.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #559 on: June 13, 2020, 12:01:49 PM »

From 2007-2011 he was Head of Behaviour Analysis, Child Exploitation Online Protection centre (CEOP). His job was to advise on the behaviour of child sex abusers. Before that he was a Surrey police officer.

In the article he seems to be suggesting he had a wider role and a wealth of knowledge on search procedures and interview techniques. I expect he had knowledge, but no more than any other senior detective.

At the time he had no expertise which entitled him to interfere in or judge the PJ's investigation imo.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #560 on: June 13, 2020, 12:41:54 PM »
From 2007-2011 he was Head of Behaviour Analysis, Child Exploitation Online Protection centre (CEOP). His job was to advise on the behaviour of child sex abusers. Before that he was a Surrey police officer.

In the article he seems to be suggesting he had a wider role and a wealth of knowledge on search procedures and interview techniques. I expect he had knowledge, but no more than any other senior detective.

At the time he had no expertise which entitled him to interfere in or judge the PJ's investigation imo.

He was on the ground and had a professional opinion of his experience.  Which was borne out by the back to front way Amaral conducted the case ...
Snip

I think he makes a pretty powerful indictment of the way Madeleine's case was conducted and obviously as a Detective Superintendent had more than clue what he was talking about something Amaral could never be accused of.

Offline Billy Whizz Fan Club

« Reply #561 on: June 13, 2020, 12:52:10 PM »
SY said they looked at the involment of the family..they therefore have looked at the evidence and decided the parents are not involved. what further investigations do you think would be useful.

Have you a cite for that please?

Offline Billy Whizz Fan Club

« Reply #562 on: June 13, 2020, 12:53:14 PM »
Could you expalin why you accept the smith sighting as being totally correct yet dismiss all the sightings of maddie as being suspect.

Which sightings of Maddie?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #563 on: June 13, 2020, 12:59:08 PM »

He was on the ground and had a professional opinion of his experience.  Which was borne out by the back to front way Amaral conducted the case ...
Snip

I think he makes a pretty powerful indictment of the way Madeleine's case was conducted and obviously as a Detective Superintendent had more than clue what he was talking about something Amaral could never be accused of.

The world and his wife had opinions about how the investigation was conducted, despite it being outwith their areas of expertise or responsibility. None of the British police officers had the right to advise the PJ except Mark Harrison and Martin Grime, whose input was requested.
Result = happy posting.

Offline barrier

« Reply #564 on: June 13, 2020, 01:13:16 PM »
Have you a cite for that please?

I doubt it,Rowley pointed out the didn't, saying it was dealt with in the initial investigation,you know the one led by Amaral,whose integrity is called into question, yet its a ringing endorsement by SY, now did he get it right  and thats why they can't pin the tail on any old donkey.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #565 on: June 13, 2020, 01:30:53 PM »

Snip

I very much doubt they ruled anybody out at the start with no evidence of a break-in.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #566 on: June 13, 2020, 01:31:27 PM »
Which sightings of Maddie?

Starting with the Tanner sighting ... there are quite a few ... then you know that already don't you.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #567 on: June 13, 2020, 01:32:48 PM »

Absolutely.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #568 on: June 13, 2020, 01:33:40 PM »
Starting with the Tanner sighting ... there are quite a few ... then you know that already don't you.

The Tanner sighting is not thought to have been Madeleine by OG.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #569 on: June 13, 2020, 01:40:49 PM »
The world and his wife had opinions about how the investigation was conducted, despite it being outwith their areas of expertise or responsibility. None of the British police officers had the right to advise the PJ except Mark Harrison and Martin Grime, whose input was requested.
Snip
Detective Superintendent Hill – who had secured the world’s first conviction based on familial DNA – could have helped while the evidence was still fresh. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8416013/Bungling-local-Madeleine-McCann-officers-froze-says-UK-detective.html

Found there was no problem with his offer of using his expertise when the Judicial police had Robert Murat in their sights.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 03:27:52 PM by Brietta »