Author Topic: Goncalo Amaral.  (Read 408168 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Goncalo Amaral.
« Reply #3165 on: August 21, 2020, 10:50:52 AM »
I assumed it was a given that on a site called miscarriage of justice we are all aware that wrongful convictions or acquittals are quite common. With that in mind please point out which part of my post (reproduced below) that you find to be incorrect or misleading.

“Every verdict in court is an opinion but the definition of the word fact is a thing that is proven to be true. That's what a court case does, proves a case to be true or false.”

again you dont define ..proof..

A court proves  a case beyond reasonable doubt...that doesnt mean the alegation is true

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3166 on: August 21, 2020, 10:54:54 AM »
Please point me to the post where I argue so strenuously that Cipriano's conviction was not a wrongful conviction.
Oh right, so you concede it may well be a wrongful conviction?  My apologies, I thought you were arguing that it could not be. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Icanhandlethetruth

« Reply #3167 on: August 21, 2020, 10:55:37 AM »
again you dont define ..proof..

A court proves  a case beyond reasonable doubt...that doesnt mean the alegation is true

I thought it was a given that proof in a legal sense means beyond all reasonable doubt. If we say that a conviction is just an opinion nothing more, we are belittling and denigrating the legal systems that have operated all over the world for thousands of years. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:45:58 AM by Eleanor »

« Reply #3168 on: August 21, 2020, 10:59:13 AM »
Oh right, so you concede it may well be a wrongful conviction?  My apologies, I thought you were arguing that it could not be.

I don't concede it because to concede I must have first held a different view. Any conviction can be a wrongful conviction.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3169 on: August 21, 2020, 11:01:50 AM »
I thought it was a given that proof in a legal sense means beyond all reasonable doubt. If we say that a conviction is just an opinion nothing more, we are belittling and denigrating the legal systems that have operated all over the world for thousands of years.

It is an opinion based on the evidence...what else can it be. That's exactly why there are miscarriages of justice.

what else can it possibly be apart from an opinion

« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 11:46:45 AM by Eleanor »

« Reply #3170 on: August 21, 2020, 11:15:35 AM »
It is an opinion based on the evidence...what else can it be. That's exactly why there are miscarriages of justice.

what else can it possibly be apart from an opinion

It is an opinion based on the evidence, but to refer to as just an opinion and not a verdict denigrates the whole legal system.
And using your logic it still applies that you believe it is opinion that Ian Huntley is a murderer. If not why is his case different?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 07:06:21 PM by Robittybob1 »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3171 on: August 21, 2020, 11:26:59 AM »
It is an opinion based on the evidence, but to refer to as just an opinion and not a verdict denigrates the whole legal system.
And using your logic it still applies that you believe it is opinion that Ian Huntley is a murderer. If not why is his case different?

So you now agree a verdict is an opinion...nothing more. How valid the opinion is depends on the evidence presented.. Cases vary as to the level of evidence presented so that's what makes cases different.

Offline The General

« Reply #3172 on: August 21, 2020, 11:31:16 AM »
So you now agree a verdict is an opinion...nothing more. How valid the opinion is depends on the evidence presented.. Cases vary as to the level of evidence presented so that's what makes cases different.
You've changed your tune; earlier the concept was an absolute - you're qualifying the opinion now.
At least you're turning in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

« Reply #3173 on: August 21, 2020, 11:34:25 AM »
No, I disagree a verdict and an opinion are different things. A verdict is reached by a person’s opinion but when a verdict is decided it is no longer opinion.
So is Ciprianos conviction opinion whereas Huntleys isnt?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3174 on: August 21, 2020, 11:36:32 AM »
You've changed your tune; earlier the concept was an absolute - you're qualifying the opinion now.
At least you're turning in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

I havent changed anything...you are obvioulsy not following the logic

a verdict is opinion based on evidence

Show me where Ive said anything different..perhaps youve imagined it...the posts are all there ..have  a look

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3175 on: August 21, 2020, 11:36:51 AM »
No, I disagree a verdict and an opinion are different things. A verdict is reached by a person’s opinion but when a verdict is decided it is no longer opinion.
What is a verdict then?  The truth?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3176 on: August 21, 2020, 11:37:18 AM »

you are wrong...they are both opinion

« Reply #3177 on: August 21, 2020, 11:46:14 AM »
What is a verdict then?  The truth?

No its a decision based on evidence presented before a court.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3178 on: August 21, 2020, 11:48:50 AM »
No its a decision based on evidence presented before a court.
In my opinion based on the evidence X is guilty and therefore I decide to find him guilty.  It's all mincing words at the end of the day innit.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #3179 on: August 21, 2020, 11:52:40 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inquisitorial_system

There goes Leonor's Confession down the pan.  More evidence for The ECHR.