Author Topic: Were the Gaspar statements nothing more than a red herring?  (Read 31974 times)

Offline faithlilly

Were the Gaspar statements nothing more than a red herring?
« on: December 07, 2015, 03:49:51 PM »
I believe the Euro Weekly News revealed the details of the Gaspar statement yet I don't remember ..... ....... or for that matter Gerry demanding a retraction. Does that mean it was true ?

[Editor comment...

Posts which breach the forum rules will be edited or removed]

« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 05:27:55 AM by John »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Alfred R Jones

Re: Were the Gaspar statements nothing more than a red herring?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 04:13:48 PM »
I believe the Euro Weekly News revealed the details of the Gaspar statement yet I don't remember ..... ...... or for that matter Gerry demanding a retraction. Does that mean it was true ?
Link?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:55:16 PM by John »

Offline faithlilly

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 05:55:48 PM by John »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 06:18:28 PM »
http://joana-morais.blogspot.com/2010/01/euro-weekly-news-gaspars-on-david-payne.html

That article does not appear on the Euro Weekly News website.  But even if it did, then what grounds would ..... .......have to demand a retraction?  It is an accurate quote from a police statement, nothing he could do about it.  Whereas if one of his unnamed friends had told blatant lies to a reporter who then wrote them up into a long newspaper article (as you are alleging has occurred with Mr Sousa) then that would be a different matter.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:52:21 PM by John »

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 06:24:41 PM »
That article does not appear on the Euro Weekly News website.  But even if it did, then what grounds would ..... ....... have to demand a retraction?  It is an accurate quote from a police statement, nothing he could do about it.  Whereas if one of his unnamed friends had told blatant lies to a reporter who then wrote them up into a long newspaper article (as you are alleging has occurred with Mr Sousa) then that would be a different matter.

So you believe the tabloids every time they say 'a friend of the McCanns' or 'someone close to the couple' says so and so do you ?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:53:39 PM by John »

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »
So you believe the tabloids every time they say 'a friend of the McCanns' or 'someone close to the couple' says so and so do you ?
If the story has the ring of truth to it, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, yes. I'm not one of those conspiracy theorists who believes that every word written in the MSM is lies designed to hoodwink the sheeple. 

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 06:34:06 PM »
If the story has the ring of truth to it, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, yes. I'm not one of those conspiracy theorists who believes that every word written in the MSM is lies designed to hoodwink the sheeple.

So basically you think that if the 'friend's' comment fits your agenda then it's true. At least you're being honest I suppose.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 06:43:01 PM »
So basically you think that if the 'friend's' comment fits your agenda then it's true. At least you're being honest I suppose.
Perhaps you could give us some examples of a "friend of the McCanns" or "someone close to the McCanns" giving a completely false story to the press?

ferryman

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 06:46:28 PM »
That article does not appear on the Euro Weekly News website.  But even if it did, then what grounds would David Payne have to demand a retraction?  It is an accurate quote from a police statement, nothing he could do about it.  Whereas if one of his unnamed friends had told blatant lies to a reporter who then wrote them up into a long newspaper article (as you are alleging has occurred with Mr Sousa) then that would be a different matter.

Your interpretation of the legal position is not quite right, there, Alfred.  The Gaspar statements, confined to the files, are not actionable, because they form part of a police enquiry, and are therefore protected from action in libel.  Exactly the same would be true in England or Portugal.

As soon as those statements (and particularly Mrs G's) stray outside the confines of the process, they become actionable. 

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 06:52:04 PM »
Your interpretation of the legal position is not quite right, there, Alfred.  The Gaspar statements, confined to the files, are not actionable, because they form part of a police enquiry, and are therefore protected from action in libel.  Exactly the same would be true in England or Portugal.

As soon as those statements (and particularly Mrs G's) stray outside the confines of the process, they become actionable.
I don't see how that particular excerpt would be actionable but If that is so then maybe it explains why the article no longer appears on the Euro Weekly website (as far as I can see).  Perhaps they were threatened with legal action?

ferryman

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
I don't see how that particular excerpt would be actionable but If that is so then maybe it explains why the article no longer appears on the Euro Weekly website (as far as I can see).  Perhaps they were threatened with legal action?

I don't know for sure, but that wouldn't surprise me in the least ...

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 11:36:44 PM »

If the report wasn't libellous what legal action could be threatened ?

Offline misty

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 11:41:33 PM »
If the report wasn't libellous what legal action could be threatened ?

Maybe the Gaspars themselves asked for the report to be removed?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 11:47:52 PM »
Maybe the Gaspars themselves asked for the report to be removed?

Why ?

Offline misty

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 11:50:27 PM »
Why ?

Data protection act? Altered from original statements? Unhappy that their confidential statements had found their way into the media?