Author Topic: Sir Keir Starmer Appointed Leader Of The Labour Party  (Read 19546 times)

Online Eleanor

Re: Sir Keir Starmer Appointed Leader Of The Labour Party
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2020, 05:44:12 PM »
I don’t think I missed the point at all. Boris is where he is because he was the only party leader who promised what a substantial part of the electorate wanted...to be Brexit over the line. It had absolutely nothing to do with good policies...they didn’t have any.

Since then he has overseen a disastrous handling of the coronavirus, where the very people who voted for him for the first time and the elderly who are disproportionately Conservative voters, have been especially betrayed. And worse is still to come...a hard Brexit and a deep recession, which again will disproportionally hit the poorest the hardest, will be the death-knell to his ‘evening up’ manta. In the coming weeks and months Starmer’s measured judgement will shine a torch directly on  Johnson’s lack of anything approaching statesmanship.

There are already rumblings from his own back benches that Johnson may not be the saviour he was sold to be...and we all know how ruthless the Tories can be.

For Focks sake I am still here.  Stuff it.  Boris is The Prime Minister.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2020, 06:26:38 PM »
For Focks sake I am still here.  Stuff it.  Boris is The Prime Minister.

Thatcher won a 102 seat majority in 1987....in less than 3 years she was ousted. Johnson should never feel too comfortable.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline sika

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2020, 06:28:12 PM »
Of course he must hold the government to account, but to only criticise after the event and offer no practical solutions before it, is that very helpful?
Good point.  Starmer claimed today at PMQ’s that he has offered practical help and solutions.  He wrote a confidential letter to Johnson offering help regarding schools.  He went on to claim that he received no reply.

Offline sika

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2020, 06:35:30 PM »
I don’t think I missed the point at all. Boris is where he is because he was the only party leader who promised what a substantial part of the electorate wanted...to be Brexit over the line. It had absolutely nothing to do with good policies...they didn’t have any.

Since then he has overseen a disastrous handling of the coronavirus, where the very people who voted for him for the first time and the elderly who are disproportionately Conservative voters, have been especially betrayed. And worse is still to come...a hard Brexit and a deep recession, which again will disproportionally hit the poorest the hardest, will be the death-knell to his ‘evening up’ manta. In the coming weeks and months Starmer’s measured judgement will shine a torch directly on  Johnson’s lack of anything approaching statesmanship.

There are already rumblings from his own back benches that Johnson may not be the saviour he was sold to be...and we all know how ruthless the Tories can be.
Wish I could have put it as well as that!   8@??)(

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2020, 06:45:14 PM »
Good point.  Starmer claimed today at PMQ’s that he has offered practical help and solutions.  He wrote a confidential letter to Johnson offering help regarding schools.  He went on to claim that he received no reply.

As Starmer said scrutiny not criticism.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2020, 06:46:05 PM »
Perhaps he should put the letter in the public domain then.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2020, 06:49:23 PM »
Wish I could have put it as well as that!   8@??)(
Only slight problem with that is I know elderly Brexit voters and they still love Boris no matter what.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline sika

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2020, 07:14:28 PM »
Perhaps he should put the letter in the public domain then.
He said that he was going to do just that. 

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2020, 07:16:46 PM »
He said that he was going to do just that.
Good.

Offline faithlilly

« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 07:25:19 PM by Faithlilly »

Online Eleanor

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2020, 08:24:27 PM »

Oh Dear.  Such sour grapes.  The Tory Party won.  I personally don't care.  But I'll tell you what.  Boris won that one.

Offline sika

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2020, 08:42:01 PM »
Oh Dear indeed!  What a sorry state we're in.  Dumbed down to the point of no return.  "All in it together", I keep hearing.  The vast majority couldn't give a flying f..k about anyone else.  I'd be out of here like a shot, if I could. 

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2020, 08:46:19 PM »
Oh Dear indeed!  What a sorry state we're in.  Dumbed down to the point of no return.  "All in it together", I keep hearing.  The vast majority couldn't give a flying f..k about anyone else.  I'd be out of here like a shot, if I could.
Where would you like to go?

Offline sika

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2020, 08:51:26 PM »
Where would you like to go?
Well.....to be honest, I don't know!  I wonder what New Zealand is like.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2020, 09:09:43 PM »

But I did.  I got out.  It wasn't easy.  But I did it.  I now live in this ghastly hovel which gives me much joy.  My house is really awful.  It is the most disgusting place that you could ever imagine.  But it is mine.  It belongs only to me.