Author Topic: Have we learnt anything from the Maddie case?  (Read 36407 times)

Offline Robittybob1

Re: Have we learnt anything from the Maddie case?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 11:35:40 PM »
Good one   

OR

Occam's razor.

Definition  :a scientific and philosophical rule that entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily which is interpreted as requiring that the simplest of competing theories be preferred to the more complex or that explanations of unknown phenomena be sought first in terms of known quantities.

In other words: The simplest explanation is usually the right one. Detectives use it to deduce who's the likeliest suspect in a murder case -  Doctors use it to determine the illness behind a set of symptoms. This line of reasoning is called Occam's razor.

http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-occam-s-razor.html
As far as I can see the simplest is to believe Kate.  Occam's razor then why complicate it?  It doesn't account for everything that's why.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 11:44:06 PM »
As far as I can see the simplest is to believe Kate.  Occam's razor then why complicate it?  It doesn't account for everything that's why.

Ah but you see... believe what part of her story? the science doesn't fit, the story is not concise or match other versions. There is no real,accurate  time - line. and when was the last time anyone physically checked those children
after they were put to bed? HUGE difference in abductor being seen at 9.30 with the father outside the apartment not noticing an abductor walking-not running- off with his daughter.. oh please god no...
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 12:29:58 AM »

The only evidence found on the open window is the simplest explanation i.e. Kate opened the window.

1. On May 3 2007, around 22:00, when you entered the apartment, what did you see? What did you do? Where did you look? What did you touch?

KM: No comment
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 05:30:01 AM »
The only evidence found on the open window is the simplest explanation i.e. Kate opened the window.

1. On May 3 2007, around 22:00, when you entered the apartment, what did you see? What did you do? Where did you look? What did you touch?

KM: No comment
So we will never know.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 07:38:53 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 08:35:51 PM »
So we will never know.

Evidence will prove what happened and you don't spend 12+ million on a case with no evidence.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 08:36:30 PM »
Evidence will prove what happened and you don't spend 12+ million on a case with no evidence.

I totally agree

Offline sadie

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 11:43:00 PM »
I totally agree

Just a matter of time IMO

To gather suffient evidence together for the charges to defeat the world class Lawyers on their side imo

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 08:57:24 AM »

One of the things I have learned from this case is that every media story should be read with a lorry-load of salt.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:45:19 PM by John »
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Brietta

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 12:46:26 PM »
One of the most important issues I have learned from Madeleine's case is that when in a foreign country never to sign a document written only in that language, but only to sign a translation in which every single word and nuance is clearly unserstood.

There really should have been no concerns regarding this as far as Kate was concerned had the Policia Judiciaria followed European protocols safeguarding the rights of people being questioned: particularly as neither she nor Gerry had benefit of a lawyer until they were to be constituted arguidos.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 02:41:43 PM by John »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline John

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2017, 02:58:37 PM »
I think SY will have learned a hard lesson at the British taxpayers expense on how not to solve a case by proxy in a foreign country.  They still have to work out their end game because at nearly £12 million there will be questions to answer.

The first question being, on what basis did DCI Redwood undertake digs in Praiua da Luz prior to his departure?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline jassi

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2017, 04:00:08 PM »
Certainly I think it shows how difficult it can be to conclude a case where forensics and technology don't provide a lot of the evidence.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2017, 04:14:45 PM »
Certainly I think it shows how difficult it can be to conclude a case where forensics and technology don't provide a lot of the evidence.

Of course its far easier to solve a case where the guilty party is known to the victim....much more difficult if it a case where the guilty party is a stranger

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2017, 04:25:21 PM »
I think SY will have learned a hard lesson at the British taxpayers expense on how not to solve a case by proxy in a foreign country.  They still have to work out their end game because at nearly £12 million there will be questions to answer.

The first question being, on what basis did DCI Redwood undertake digs in Praiua da Luz prior to his departure?

I dont think any blame can be put on SY...it was the politicians who decided that SY should investigate. They then have 40,000 pieces of information to translate and analyse....that is a massive task and where as I understand most of the money has gone. I doubt Redwood would ahve orgainised the digs without very good reason but I
 agree with you that it would be good to get some answers and hopefully we will

Offline Benice

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2017, 05:16:16 PM »

I think it is money well spent -  as even if Madeleine isn't found -  at least her parents know that everything that could be done has been done and don't have to spend the rest of their  lives wondering if some vital piece of evidence was missed because of an investigation disadvantaged by having no official protocol/procedures in place on how to deal with such cases.

If the investigations have resulted in greatly improved knowledge and/or new methods which can now be implemented which improve the chances of recovering a missing child -  then as a taxpayer that's fine by me.

£12m is peanuts in the scheme of things imo.    Just In London alone it costs taxpayers £100m per year to remove graffiti.

AIMHO
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2017, 05:25:15 PM »
I dont think any blame can be put on SY...it was the politicians who decided that SY should investigate. They then have 40,000 pieces of information to translate and analyse....that is a massive task and where as I understand most of the money has gone. I doubt Redwood would ahve orgainised the digs without very good reason but I
 agree with you that it would be good to get some answers and hopefully we will

According to Sir Paul Stephenson the Met were under no obligation to accept the case. Not only did they accept it, they appear to have worked to a restrictive remit. The responsibility for those decisions is theirs.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0