Author Topic: Has the discrepancy been discussed before - "did Kate enter by the front door"?  (Read 2092 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Has the discrepancy been discussed before - Kate used the front door!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 01:12:10 PM »
If both Gerry and Kate entered using a key, how did Matt gain entrance?

Both Kate and Gerry stated that Matt went in through the verandah door.

Matt doesn't appear to have been asked more specifically on 4 May, but IMO that was clearly the verandah door.

That the door through which he entered the apartment was closed but not locked. That he doesn't know if it is usual for Madeleine's parents to leave the door closed but not locked because that door is visible from the restaurant.
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MATTHEW-OLDFIELD.htm

Offline jassi

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 01:21:21 PM »
Both Kate and Gerry stated that Matt went in through the verandah door.

Matt doesn't appear to have been asked more specifically on 4 May, but IMO that was clearly the verandah door.

That the door through which he entered the apartment was closed but not locked. That he doesn't know if it is usual for Madeleine's parents to leave the door closed but not locked because that door is visible from the restaurant.
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MATTHEW-OLDFIELD.htm

So if the verandah door was unlocked why would Gerry want to enter by the other (locked) door as he said he did?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -  nearly 11 years and still no solution.

Offline Carana

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 01:38:33 PM »
So if the verandah door was unlocked why would Gerry want to enter by the other (locked) door as he said he did?

Quite, Jassi. It doesn't make sense. The most logical explanation, IMO, is that he never did actually say that he entered with a key, but that whichever door he did mention was assumed to be the one requiring a key and that's how it got written down.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 02:00:43 PM »
IMO He did use a key on that check like he said in his statement.

Two probable reasons:

1. The patio door was locked.

2. It was the nearest entrance at that time. You need to think outside the box for that one.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline jassi

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 02:17:21 PM »
Quite, Jassi. It doesn't make sense. The most logical explanation, IMO, is that he never did actually say that he entered with a key, but that whichever door he did mention was assumed to be the one requiring a key and that's how it got written down.

There's no evidence of this.
When he makes his second statement he says he wishes to change his statement.
He does not say that the original one was wrongly transcribed or mistranslated, only that he wants to change it.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Offline Faithlilly

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 02:19:12 PM »

Gerry got the details mixed up in the telling ?
Moral Guilt
Detractors of the work of our British Police in bringing criminals to justice generally ignore the important distinction between moral proof and legal evidence of guilt. In not a few cases that are popularly classed with 'unsolved mysteries of crime,' the offender is known, but evidence is wanting. If, for example, in- a recent murder case of special notoriety and interest,* certain human remains had not been found in a cellar, a great crime would have been catalogued among `Police failures'; and yet, even without the evidence which sent the murderer to the gallows, the moral proof of his guilt would have been full and clear.
Robert Anderson

Offline jassi

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 02:24:53 PM »

Too right he did.

Offline Carana

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 03:15:04 PM »
He does not say that the original one was wrongly transcribed or mistranslated, only that he wants to change it.

A police officer would note that one of their own had got it wrong?

Offline jassi

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 03:18:59 PM »
A police officer would note that one of their own had got it wrong?

I don't know.
The point is that he does not deny saying what he said, only that he wanted to change it.
 Imaginative interpretation that it's other people that are wrong  doesn't really wash.  IMO

Offline Carana

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 03:22:44 PM »
I don't know.
The point is that he does not deny saying what he said, only that he wanted to change it.
 Imaginative interpretation that it's other people that are wrong  doesn't really wash.  IMO

Verbatim transcripts might have been helpful...

Offline jassi

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 03:44:51 PM »
Yes, a great pity that statements weren't recorded from the start, then much of this would be beyond dispute.

Offline Carana

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 04:22:36 PM »

My take is that there was no agreement as to what constituted the back or the front door, so each party thought they were referring to the other one.

Offline Davel

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 04:27:13 PM »

His request to change his statement  was not verbatim and translated... Who knows what he said
UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED ALL POSTS ARE MY OPINION

Offline Benice

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 04:45:13 PM »
My take is that there was no agreement as to what constituted the back or the front door, so each party thought they were referring to the other one.

I totally agree.   At least that makes sense, with evidence of confusion over the doors available to back it up.

Nothing whatsoever to explain why Gerry would choose to walk past a door which he knew was unlocked a few feet away from him and decide to go the much longer way round to achieve the same goal  i.e. simply to gain entrance into 5A.   That makes no sense IMO.

Whatever the reason he gave for correcting his statement, it could not have been anything important to the case otherwise it would have been recorded in detail in his amended statement and Amaral would have told us what it was - and not just revealed that he changed his statement.

All in my opinion.   

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 04:45:25 PM »

It has been long known that there was confusion about the front and back doors, albeit brief.  Although it didn't take me very long to work it out.

That some people should still wish to raise this says more about their inability for cognisance.  Or perhaps their wish to find yet another way to bash the McCanns, when in fact they know precisely what happened.

For a very short while, the front was back and the back was front.  This misunderstanding no longer exists.