Author Topic: Has the discrepancy been discussed before - "did Kate enter by the front door"?  (Read 12055 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Has the discrepancy been discussed before - Kate used the front door!
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 04:50:20 PM »
I totally agree.   At least that makes sense, with evidence of confusion over the doors available to back it up.

Nothing whatsoever to explain why Gerry would choose to walk past a door which he knew was unlocked a few feet away from him and decide to go the much longer way round to achieve the same goal  i.e. simply to gain entrance into 5A.   That makes no sense IMO.

Whatever the reason he gave for correcting his statement, it could not have been anything important to the case otherwise it would have been recorded in detail in his amended statement and Amaral would have told us what it was - and not just revealed that he changed his statement.

All in my opinion.   

Except that people are still talking about this apparent "discrepancy" over 10 years later...

Offline Benice

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 05:00:11 PM »
Except that people are still talking about this apparent "discrepancy" over 10 years later...

IMO this is exactly the kind of 'discrepancy' which SY would be able to very easily clear up - either by asking Gerry to explain what happened and/or because of information they already had themselves, but which we have not been privy to.
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 05:03:50 PM »
I totally agree.   At least that makes sense, with evidence of confusion over the doors available to back it up.

Nothing whatsoever to explain why Gerry would choose to walk past a door which he knew was unlocked a few feet away from him and decide to go the much longer way round to achieve the same goal  i.e. simply to gain entrance into 5A.   That makes no sense IMO.

Whatever the reason he gave for correcting his statement, it could not have been anything important to the case otherwise it would have been recorded in detail in his amended statement and Amaral would have told us what it was - and not just revealed that he changed his statement.

All in my opinion.   

It makes sense if you know what likely happened - remember a girl disappeared. If you don't know what happened then of course it doesn't make sense to you.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 05:33:47 PM »
It makes sense if you know what likely happened - remember a girl disappeared. If you don't know what happened then of course it doesn't make sense to you.
Be careful not to goad.  It maybe alright but it was close to being abusive.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 05:34:35 PM »

IMO this is exactly the kind of 'discrepancy' which SY would be able to very easily clear up - either by asking Gerry to explain what happened and/or because of information they already had themselves, but which we have not been privy to.

The people to speak to would be the interpreters, and the time to do it was after the second statement was taken while it was fresh in their minds. No point in asking anyone years after the event imo.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 05:35:08 PM »
My take is that there was no agreement as to what constituted the back or the front door, so each party thought they were referring to the other one.

Then that's what Gerry would have said surely ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 05:43:27 PM »
There's no evidence of this.
When he makes his second statement he says he wishes to change his statement.
He does not say that the original one was wrongly transcribed or mistranslated, only that he wants to change it.
Did he say change it or clarify?  He changes the door he enters in his second statement but without making any hoo ha about it.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2018, 05:45:30 PM »
Verbatim transcripts might have been helpful...
What language?
Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2018, 05:47:03 PM »
My take is that there was no agreement as to what constituted the back or the front door, so each party thought they were referring to the other one.
Whatever it was called one was needing a key and the other didn't.
Moderation

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2018, 05:59:10 PM »
What language?

English  of course...... It's fairly  obvious  that the discrepancy are the door was caused by the translations... Imo
Without a verbatim English account  it's impossible  to know exactly  what the mccanns actually  said... Fact

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2018, 06:04:05 PM »
English  of course...... It's fairly  obvious  that the discrepancy are the door was caused by the translations... Imo
Without a verbatim English account  it's impossible  to know exactly  what the mccanns actually  said... Fact
We've tackled this topic several times, but I do agree an English version should have been produced at the time.
Moderation

Offline Carana

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2018, 06:05:52 PM »

Ideally, a recorded interview: the inspector's questions, the interpreter (both ways) and the witness would show where any misunderstandings occurred. I'm not sure that happens anywhere for a simple witness interview, though.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2018, 06:13:26 PM »
Ideally, a recorded interview: the inspector's questions, the interpreter (both ways) and the witness would show where any misunderstandings occurred. I'm not sure that happens anywhere for a simple witness interview, though.

Without an original English  transcript  the, statements are worthless imo

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2018, 06:15:56 PM »
Without an original English  transcript  the, statements are worthless imo
Well we have major problems then haven't we!
Moderation

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2018, 06:18:52 PM »
Well we have major problems then haven't we!

No we don't... I'm sure SY will have asked the mccanns to go over the events