Author Topic: McCanns seek to have Supreme Court judgement annulled in libel damages case.  (Read 62220 times)

Offline G-Unit

Page 70
Thus, it does not appear acceptable to consider that the alluded dispatch, based on the insufficiency of evidence, should be treated as evidence of innocence.

this is the judges statement...it was made by them...in their language signed by them...wake up

In answer to and rejection of the claim made by those appealing. They brought the concept up and it was dismissed.

Now they have stamped their feet and complained, insisting that they are right and three of the most senior judges in Portugal are wrong. I'll be very surprised if the complaint succeeds, but also very interested in trying to understand why.

I hope that others will try to understand why if the complaint is rejected, rather than dismissing it as flawed and criticising Portugal, their judges and their Judiciary.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline slartibartfast

Now finally I understand your question.  I read it before and didn't understand it, but you are asking me if I was ever cleared in the McCann case and I'd have to say "No".  No one has officially cleared me.  I can only assume there was insufficient evidence of innocence.

So you are not cleared and if you went to trial you would have the presumption of innocence. You are in the same position as the McCanns except you have never been an arguido.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Robittybob1

So you are not cleared and if you went to trial you would have the presumption of innocence. You are in the same position as the McCanns except you have never been an arguido.
But if rather than pressing charges they made me an arguido and later archived the case I would no longer have the presumption of innocence because there was insufficient evidence of innocence.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline slartibartfast

But if rather than pressing charges they made me an arguido and later archived the case I would no longer have the presumption of evidence because there was insufficient evidence of innocence.

You would still have the presumption of innocence at trial the same as the McCanns would.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Eleanor

I don't understand the fuss about this.  The McCanns had the original verdict overturned, but they don't appear to have been seeking a verdict of Innocence in the disappearance of Madeleine.
It is only certain parties commenting on Social Media who wish to see it as a point of suspicion against The McCanns.

Offline Robittybob1

You would still have the presumption of innocence at trial the same as the McCanns would.
Yes but they have not been tried.   And I have not been tried, but there is insufficient evidence to clear me because there is insufficient evidence to convict me.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline slartibartfast

Yes but they have not been tried.   And I have not been tried, but there is insufficient evidence to clear me because there is insufficient evidence to convict me.

You can only be cleared in a trial or if another is found guilty or hard evidence of your non involvement is found. You would be cleared as you would have evidence of being the other side of the world.

Offline slartibartfast

I don't understand the fuss about this.  The McCanns had the original verdict overturned, but they don't appear to have been seeking a verdict of Innocence in the disappearance of Madeleine.
It is only certain parties commenting on Social Media who wish to see it as a point of suspicion against The McCanns.

The annulment request is based on the cleared/innocent question, it isn't about anything else.

Offline Robittybob1

You can only be cleared in a trial or if another is found guilty or hard evidence of your non involvement is found. You would be cleared as you would have evidence of being the other side of the world.
That might have been the year I was travelling through Europe. 

But I think you have hit the nail on the head, the only evidence of innocence that really counts is a strong alibi.  I wonder how many people have to confirm my alibi before the PJ accept I'm innocent?

The McCanns check the apartment so there are times their alibi actually coincides with the crime scene, but there was no time given for the commission of the crime either so the crime could have been committed between possibly 5:30 right up to 11:30 maybe.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:20:51 AM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation

Offline G-Unit

A very clear and simple explanation Slarti. Why so many (including, it seems, the McCanns and their libel lawyers) cannot understand escapes me. I suppose it could be that they don't want to understand.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Eleanor

The annulment request is based on the cleared/innocent question, it isn't about anything else.

That is an insufficient explanation.  The case is about Amaral's right to say what he likes and not about the guilt or innocence of The McCanns.

Offline G-Unit

That is an insufficient explanation.  The case is about Amaral's right to say what he likes and not about the guilt or innocence of The McCanns.

The guilt or innocence of the McCanns was brought up by Duarte in her appeal to the Supreme Court.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Robittybob1

The judges say he can say what he likes provided the McCanns were not innocent, and there was insufficient evidence of innocence to say they were innocent.  It is complex.
Moderation

Offline slartibartfast

I am talking about the annulment request, the rest of the case is history.

Offline Eleanor

The guilt or innocence of the McCanns was brought up by Duarte in her appeal to the Supreme Court.

But she wasn't asking for a verdict on that.