Author Topic: EU membership, should we stay or leave?  (Read 126786 times)

Offline John

Re: EU membership, should we stay or leave?
« Reply #195 on: June 18, 2016, 08:03:22 PM »
As I said, I know people from the EU.

One families children I tutor, have looked at the possibility of living in several countries, including countries inside and outside the EU, such as Australia. The parents did not past the 'criteria' in Australia, even though they had private wealth and both had useful skills, one is an Accountant and the other an Airline Pilot. They are now both working in the UK and have invested their money here to.

Would you say bye bye to them John ?

If they are EU citizens they are currently free to come to the UK.  After #BrExit they would have to pass specific entry requirements before living and working in the UK permanently.  Foreigners don't have the right to just come and settle in the UK because it suits them, at least that is the way it should be.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

stephen25000

« Reply #196 on: June 18, 2016, 08:05:10 PM »
If they are EU citizens they are currently free to come to the UK.  After #BrExit they would have to pass specific entry requirements before living and working in the UK permanently.  Foreigners don't just have the right to settle in the UK because it suits them, at least that is the way it should be.

This country has been on immigrants John.

Haven't you studied History ?

Offline John

« Reply #197 on: June 18, 2016, 08:06:26 PM »
'Do you want to remain in that unaccountable organisation paying more and more every year and getting less and less back?'

Let's have some INDEPENDENTLY  verified facts and figures on this then ?

The £350 Million claim , and more according to Boris, is pure B.S.

Including the number of companies who have invested in the UK because we are , at the moment in the EU.

As has been explained by #Leave, the £350 million is a gross figure.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

« Reply #198 on: June 18, 2016, 08:08:58 PM »
'Do you want to continue to pay overinflated prices to European manufacturers who operate under a system of protectionism? '

Cite some facts on this please.

We have been paying over inflated prices from America, as well as other countries.

e.g. http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/news/uk-vs-us-do-we-really-pay-more/

Just as an example, you do realise we pay more for French and German cars than we would do outside the EU?   At the moment we have to buy their cars on their terms in compliance with EU free trade laws.  After #BrExit we will negotiate the price!

In addition, we pay a hefty tariff on any cars bought from countries outside the EU such as Japan.  After #BrExit, cars from non EU countries as well as all other imported goods from China etc will be tariff free and consequently cost less. 

It's that simple Stephen unless you want to go on paying purchase tax in the form of tariffs to the EU?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:15:14 PM by John »

Offline John

« Reply #199 on: June 18, 2016, 08:19:06 PM »
'What about the NHS and hospital waiting lists?   This can only get worse as immigrants who have contributed nothing to the system expect the same treatments as the rest of us? '

Would you care to remind me, why the Conservative M.P. Sarah Wollaston left Brexit, for 'Remain in Europe' ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/08/eu-referendum-debate-george-osborne-grilled-by-bbc-veteran-andre/

Likewise, where would many crucial services be without immigrants ?

Answers on a postcard.

After #BrExit the UK can choose which professionals are allowed to work in the UK and rightly so.

Offline John

« Reply #200 on: June 18, 2016, 08:21:32 PM »
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/?sunday

The Times’s editorial in Saturday’s issue concedes that, for most Britons, voting to remain inside the EU “would be a pragmatic rather than enthusiastic choice, made despite the behaviour of Brussels rather than because of it”.

Since when do we believe any rubbish printed in The Times?  I hope you don't actually pay for the privilege?

Offline John

« Reply #201 on: June 18, 2016, 08:24:54 PM »
This country has been on immigrants John.

Haven't you studied History ?

Yes, has been.  We're full up now or hadn't you noticed?

stephen25000

« Reply #202 on: June 18, 2016, 08:34:01 PM »
As has been explained by #Leave, the £350 million is a gross figure.

Gross is the word, it just bollocks.

Can you cite a source for it's calculation ?

stephen25000

« Reply #203 on: June 18, 2016, 08:35:51 PM »
Just as an example, you do realise we pay more for French and German cars than we would do outside the EU?   At the moment we have to buy their cars on their terms in compliance with EU free trade laws.  After #BrExit we will negotiate the price!

In addition, we pay a hefty tariff on any cars bought from countries outside the EU such as Japan.  After #BrExit, cars from non EU countries as well as all other imported goods from China etc will be tariff free and consequently cost less. 

It's that simple Stephen unless you want to go on paying purchase tax in the form of tariffs to the EU?

If we leave the EU, there will be tariffs on our exports.

The imports will be more expensive, once the Pound is devalued.

stephen25000

« Reply #204 on: June 18, 2016, 08:36:33 PM »
After #BrExit the UK can choose which professionals are allowed to work in the UK and rightly so.

I find that comment extremely naive.

stephen25000

« Reply #205 on: June 18, 2016, 08:37:04 PM »
Since when do we believe any rubbish printed in The Times?  I hope you don't actually pay for the privilege?

No, it was in the Guardian.

..and don't you appreciate the irony of 1 Murdoch paper supporting one side and another supporting the other side.

Sounds like Murdoch is hedging his bets.

Offline John

« Reply #206 on: June 18, 2016, 08:39:29 PM »
Gross is the word, it just bollocks.

Can you cite a source for it's calculation ?

No, not bollocks but fact.  The £350 million is a gross figure confirmed by the IFS.  The net figure is £190 million.

That is £190 million of our money squandered every week by the EU.

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-send-350m-week-brussels/22804
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:43:32 PM by John »

stephen25000

« Reply #207 on: June 18, 2016, 08:44:01 PM »
Yes, has been.  We're full up now or hadn't you noticed?

Even if there were no more immigrants, the population will still rise.

Likewise , with an increase in the average age, younger immigrants here for a while, help the exchequer.

Meanwhile where do Farage and co., get the figures of 80 Million ?

I note so far, you have not tried to countermand the simple fact that immigrants to the UK, EU or otherwise are both net contributors to the Economy.

The EU is far from perfect, but I want real quantifiable data, to say that there is no doubt we would be better off out.

All I see from the main 3 Brexit leaders, are a load of hot air and BS.

Offline John

« Reply #208 on: June 18, 2016, 08:45:19 PM »
Even if there were no more immigrants, the population will still rise.

Likewise , with an increase in the average age, younger immigrants here for a while, help the exchequer.

Meanwhile where do Farage and co., get the figures of 80 Million ?

I note so far, you have not tried to countermand the simple fact that immigrants to the UK, EU or otherwise are both net contributors to the Economy.

The EU is far from perfect, but I want real quantifiable data, to say that there is no doubt we would be better off out.

All I see from the main 3 Brexit leaders, are a load of hot air and BS.

A simple question.   Do you want to see the UK's cities and towns overrun by foreigners?

stephen25000

« Reply #209 on: June 18, 2016, 08:47:53 PM »
No, not bollocks but fact.  The £350 million is a gross figure confirmed by the IFS.  The net figure is £190 million.

That is £190 million of our money squandered every week by the EU.

http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-send-350m-week-brussels/22804

I have read that before John from beginning to end.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:54:10 PM by John »