Author Topic: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)  (Read 395598 times)

Online misty

Re: General discussion about the latest news (not search related)
« Reply #5475 on: July 22, 2019, 11:46:38 PM »
Sun apology,who'd have thunk it got it wrong.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/clarifications/9539250/apology-to-criminal-profiler-pat-brown/

An article “KEY TO FINDING MADDIE Expert says mystery man spotted on night she disappeared is key to solving case of missing Madeleine McCann” (11 March) originally had a headline which reported that criminal profiler Pat Brown believed Madeleine McCann may have been abducted by a mystery man seen on the night she disappeared. To clarify, she believes that the man is key to solving the case, but does not believe that he abducted Madeleine. A version of the headline also suggested that two ‘mystery men’ seen on the night may have been the same person; in fact, Pat Brown believes they were different men. We apologise for the error.

Was Pat Brown crystal clear regarding her beliefs when discussing the matter with Mark Saunokonoko?

Offline faithlilly

Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Robittybob1

Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #5478 on: July 31, 2019, 10:01:40 PM »
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/michael-gove-leaves-his-son-at-hotel-to-go-to-party-a7387286.html

He was being watched by staff- they knew where the parents were and how to contact them. The boy was mature enough to speak up in hs mother tongue should anyone try to abduct him...  I am not a fan of Gove.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #5479 on: July 31, 2019, 11:23:25 PM »
He was being watched by staff- they knew where the parents were and how to contact them. The boy was mature enough to speak up in hs mother tongue should anyone try to abduct him...  I am not a fan of Gove.

Indeed and yet it still caused raised eyebrows.

For me if Madeleine had gone missing in this country, and there hadn’t been the old xenophobic tropes  to rely on, then the parents would have found themselves in a much more perilous position, legally speaking.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #5480 on: August 01, 2019, 04:53:44 AM »

For me if Madeleine had gone missing in this country, and there hadn’t been the old xenophobic tropes  to rely on, then the parents would have found themselves in a much more perilous position, legally speaking.
Xenophobia literally means fear of the strange or foreign. Politically, it is applied as a blanket term for nationalism, racism, tribalism, or any other fear or suspicion of an ingroup towards an outgroup.

trope

noun
plural noun: tropes
a figurative or metaphorical use of a word or expression.
"both clothes and illness became tropes for new attitudes toward the self"
a significant or recurrent theme; a motif.
"she uses the Eucharist as a pictorial trope"

Well whatever "old xenophobic trope" means it doesn't sound great so you'll get warning points for confusing the moderators with jargon beyond our understanding.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #5481 on: August 01, 2019, 06:04:47 AM »
Xenophobia literally means fear of the strange or foreign. Politically, it is applied as a blanket term for nationalism, racism, tribalism, or any other fear or suspicion of an ingroup towards an outgroup.

trope

noun
plural noun: tropes
a figurative or metaphorical use of a word or expression.
"both clothes and illness became tropes for new attitudes toward the self"
a significant or recurrent theme; a motif.
"she uses the Eucharist as a pictorial trope"

Well whatever "old xenophobic trope" means it doesn't sound great so you'll get warning points for confusing the moderators with jargon beyond our understanding.

Faithlilly's post was perfectly clear to me.
What's up, old man?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #5482 on: August 01, 2019, 06:44:01 AM »

It caused raised eyebrows because people love to judge, nowhere more so than in the UK where eyebrows flew off foreheads to flock together on the comments pages of the Daily Mail when the McCann case was first reported and ever since.  You think the UK legal system takes this sort of thing more seriously than Portugal?  Isn’t that somewhat critical of the Portuguese, xenophobic even?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #5483 on: August 01, 2019, 08:39:41 AM »
Faithlilly's post was perfectly clear to me.
Well would you like to explain the phrase  "old xenophobic tropes"  as it is used in the sentence please: "For me if Madeleine had gone missing in this country, and there hadn’t been the old xenophobic tropes  to rely on, then the parents would have found themselves in a much more perilous position, legally speaking.
Moderation

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #5484 on: August 01, 2019, 08:55:19 AM »
Well would you like to explain the phrase  "old xenophobic tropes"  as it is used in the sentence please: "For me if Madeleine had gone missing in this country, and there hadn’t been the old xenophobic tropes  to rely on, then the parents would have found themselves in a much more perilous position, legally speaking.

I don't need to.  Your somewhat laboured analysis got there in the end.

I got it without your analysis.  It's pretty clear to me.
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #5485 on: August 01, 2019, 08:58:26 AM »
I don't need to.  Your somewhat laboured analysis got there in the end.

I got it without your analysis.  It's pretty clear to me.

I think it's pretty clear to everyone... Except Rob

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #5486 on: August 01, 2019, 09:01:52 AM »
I think it's pretty clear to everyone... Except Rob
Anyone care to help me out?  Who are the "old xenophobic tropes"?
Moderation

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #5487 on: August 01, 2019, 09:19:50 AM »
Anyone care to help me out?  Who are the "old xenophobic tropes"?

You're missing the point.  You threatened Faithlilly with warning points because you didn't understand the meaning.

That's not how moderation works.

Read your own explanation of what the phrase means.  That is perfectly adequate.
What's up, old man?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #5488 on: August 01, 2019, 09:25:04 AM »
You're missing the point.  You threatened Faithlilly with warning points because you didn't understand the meaning.

That's not how moderation works.

Read your own explanation of what the phrase means.  That is perfectly adequate.
I read it several times and it still made no sense to me.
Moderation

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #5489 on: August 01, 2019, 09:26:56 AM »
I read it several times and it still made no sense to me.

But it makes sense to everyone else... Have you thought the problem might be with you