Author Topic: TV Licences  (Read 3162 times)

Offline G-Unit

TV Licences
« on: June 10, 2019, 10:30:05 PM »
It's the story of my life, really. I qualified for a free TV Licence at the end of April, got it in the post last week and have just seen on the news it'll stop next June!

I suppose one free year is better than nothing. I do agree it shouldn't be universal; £12 and a bit per month isn't that bad, and it's peanuts to some pensioners.

I think the winter fuel allowance and free medical prescriptions should be means tested too.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Miss Taken Identity

Re: TV Licences
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 04:49:18 PM »
It's the story of my life, really. I qualified for a free TV Licence at the end of April, got it in the post last week and have just seen on the news it'll stop next June!

I suppose one free year is better than nothing. I do agree it shouldn't be universal; £12 and a bit per month isn't that bad, and it's peanuts to some pensioners.

I think the winter fuel allowance and free medical prescriptions should be means tested too.

lol yeah its like standing ages in a queue when the next till opens and everyone gets in front!
I was of the impression that those with a state and private pension pay full rent ,(if renting) and tax on their 'income' if over by  twenty pence for allowance.

TV lience is a scam to be scrapped. making people criminals because they own a TV and CAN recieve live braodcsts from other stations is a form of oppression IMO.

Pay less for their 'stars' get rid of the old boy network, and make them produce quality programmes. The recent pay scandal and agest /sexist  descrimination shows it is unfit  for purpose with regards to talent scouting.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 05:51:53 PM »
I am fond of the BBC and I don't like adverts. I don't think £12 per month is excessive to be honest. It allows the BBC to show niche programes attracting small audiences.

There's a minimum income for pensioners and those on basic state pension (like Eleanor) get it topped up with Pension Credit. Those on Pension Credit get Housing and Council Tax Benefits and will continue to get free TV licences.

I don't think all pensioners should be rewarded with free TV licences whatever their income. I would means test the winter fuel payment too.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 06:05:31 PM »
I am fond of the BBC and I don't like adverts. I don't think £12 per month is excessive to be honest. It allows the BBC to show niche programes attracting small audiences.

There's a minimum income for pensioners and those on basic state pension (like Eleanor) get it topped up with Pension Credit. Those on Pension Credit get Housing and Council Tax Benefits and will continue to get free TV licences.

I don't think all pensioners should be rewarded with free TV licences whatever their income. I would means test the winter fuel payment too.
I agree.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Erngath

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 06:17:08 PM »
I agree.

I agree too!
Goodness me.
Three in agreement.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 06:37:32 PM »

I do not like adverts either, why should majority pay for  niche programms with small audiences? Channel 4 is way up there with better quality programmes. to suit many viewers.

BBC news is very biased IMO , and they take pride in running  a masoganistic,agest, sexist company.
Fat bald men get paid more than fat bald women- oh yeah there are no fat balding women news readers and compares to shows.
 'ugly' women on their programms (with the exception of strictly always include a fat  person and a not so beautiflu person). are  not seen presenting shows.
Look at what they did to Sir Cliff. Look what they did regarding wage/age discrimination, and they stood silent on the Saville scandal.  not to mention Mr Kelly an expert weapons inspector being fed to the lions.
IMO they are a nasty company run by horrible people. even for 12 quid per month. And to make criminals of those who refuse to watch or pay this tax is even more reason to loath this company.

I agree-( I am of the impression everyone has to pay- even those on tax /disabled credit)?

I agree- with means testing all benefits and TVlicience

2 outta 3 aint bad G... lol

Online Eleanor

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 06:49:17 PM »

I am in France of course.

https://www.french-property.com/news/tax_france/france_television_licence_payment/

I haven't paid for a TV Licence since I qualified for my Basic State Pension.  Neither do I pay House Taxes.  I also qualify for the local Food Bank.

As for The Winter Fuel Allowance.  Osbourne scuppered that.  No Expats in France get that.  He took the average temperatures of France and its Protectorates, some in The Tropics and decided that the temperature overall was too high.  Despite it often being in the minus in Winter here in Brittany.  The perfidy of this renders me nearly speechless.

However, France grants me in the region of 170 Euros a year off my Electricity Bill.  This can fluctuate a trifle depending on The Exchange Rate.  I have never had to actually pay any Income Tax.

I remain eternally grateful to France.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 06:49:54 PM »

I agree- with means testing all benefits and TVlicience

2 outta 3 aint bad G... lol

Why isn't it four out of four?

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 07:29:56 PM »
I am in France of course.

https://www.french-property.com/news/tax_france/france_television_licence_payment/

I haven't paid for a TV Licence since I qualified for my Basic State Pension.  Neither do I pay House Taxes.  I also qualify for the local Food Bank.

As for The Winter Fuel Allowance.  Osbourne scuppered that.  No Expats in France get that.  He took the average temperatures of France and its Protectorates, some in The Tropics and decided that the temperature overall was too high.  Despite it often being in the minus in Winter here in Brittany.  The perfidy of this renders me nearly speechless.

However, France grants me in the region of 170 Euros a year off my Electricity Bill.  This can fluctuate a trifle depending on The Exchange Rate.  I have never had to actually pay any Income Tax.

I remain eternally grateful to France.

Ex pats lose out on a lot of things.  That was very unfair what they did but they did a whole lot more by changing other rules (My uncle is a civil servant).  People should not be using food banks-nothing to do with shame or guilt I know- but People should have enough money to live on at least with a few luxuries included.

France and Germany treat their pensioners much better than here in the UK. IMO

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 07:32:56 PM »
Why isn't it four out of four?

I am not sure what you mean.

G gave three replies I broke them down and agreed with two out of the three- the reason being I was giving my opinion on each.

G won't lose any sleep if I agree 2 OUT OF 3 times.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 07:33:45 PM »

Ex pats lose out on a lot of things.  That was very unfair what they did but they did a whole lot more by changing other rules (My uncle is a civil servant).  People should not be using food banks-nothing to do with shame or guilt I know- but People should have enough money to live on at least with a few luxuries included.

France and Germany treat their pensioners much better than here in the UK. IMO

That's The British State Pension for you.

Incidentally, The Winter Fuel Allowance is not a Benefit.  It is an addition to The Sate Pension and legally should not be means tested, or subjected to temperature.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 07:37:05 PM »
I am not sure what you mean.

G gave three replies I broke them down and agreed with two out of the three- the reason being I was giving my opinion on each.

G won't lose any sleep if I agree 2 OUT OF 3 times.

I was meaning four out of four agreed that both the TV licence and the WF allowance should be means tested.

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 03:43:09 PM »
That's The British State Pension for you.

Incidentally, The Winter Fuel Allowance is not a Benefit.  It is an addition to The Sate Pension and legally should not be means tested, or subjected to temperature.

I disagree that winterfuel should not be means tested and I will explain as to why.

Let us say we have 100 pounds or euros to give to people to help them heat their homes:

25 of those are very wealthy  25 live in hotter climates  ie Spain (as some immigrants go back to their country they came from)

and 50 live on or near the poverty line.  why would the 50 who do not need or in  some cases do not want the money be given this cut?

It is much farier to give 50 deserving people more money?   That is just my opinion.

This is what happened with child benefit. Too many people were claiming to have a lot of children who 'lived abroad'. it was difficult to audit these claims.

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 03:49:00 PM »
I was meaning four out of four agreed that both the TV licence and the WF allowance should be means tested.

Oh sorry, I never noticed four wanted the license to be means tested.  Not paying attention! My bad.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2019, 03:54:42 PM »

If The Basic State Pension is increased then everyone gets it.