Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853353 times)

Offline slartibartfast

Torture does not need to happen. There just needs to be an atmosphere of coercion in the investigation process that allows the police to fit up innocent people.

General police behaviour in too many jurisdictions has been based on coerced confession of targeted individuals; this was the case generally in England until PACE limited the opportunities of the police to distort the system. It is not watertight as the case of Barry George and others demonstrate, but most of the tools of coercive policing have been removed. This is not the case in other jurisdictions such as the USA and many European countries and most third world countries that still use coercive investigation techniques.

If the McCanns had not been lawyered up and PR savvy, then I suspect that Kate McCann would have been forced to 'confess' to a minor crime to clear the case up- more important to the police than seeking justice.

The reported bargaining over two years on jail for a lesser crime than murder supports this. As the lawyer said 'if you were Portuguese you would be locked up by now.' Locked up coerced, bullied and demeaned, maybe even accidentally falling downstairs.

Amaral became very frustrated and saw his last chance to detain her because the following week be would have to give reasonable grounds to a court and be knew be did not have them. She was arguidoed and targeted with threats about never seeing her children and offered a way out by serving two years. She stood up to Amaral and the case collapsed.

Some cites or is it just more BS.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Carana

No. That is your bias.

"While he maintains a broad-based practice..."

He also represented Associated Newspapers in the Leveson Inquiry. I doubt that the Daily Mail hired him for his extradition expertise...

OxfordBloo

Some cites or is it just more BS.

Any scientific study of police behaviour in the Criminology section.

Many police memoirs which give the game away about what the situation was like before PACE.

Stephan Kiszco case.

Barry George Case

West Midland Serious Crime Squad.

Birmingham Six and other Irish accused.

The Black and Tans

Etc!

Offline Alice Purjorick

Torture does not need to happen. There just needs to be an atmosphere of coercion in the investigation process that allows the police to fit up innocent people.

General police behaviour in too many jurisdictions has been based on coerced confession of targeted individuals; this was the case generally in England until PACE limited the opportunities of the police to distort the system. It is not watertight as the case of Barry George and others demonstrate, but most of the tools of coercive policing have been removed. This is not the case in other jurisdictions such as the USA and many European countries and most third world countries that still use coercive investigation techniques.

If the McCanns had not been lawyered up and PR savvy, then I suspect that Kate McCann would have been forced to 'confess' to a minor crime to clear the case up- more important to the police than seeking justice.

The reported bargaining over two years on jail for a lesser crime than murder supports this. As the lawyer said 'if you were Portuguese you would be locked up by now.' Locked up coerced, bullied and demeaned, maybe even accidentally falling downstairs.

Amaral became very frustrated and saw his last chance to detain her because the following week be would have to give reasonable grounds to a court and be knew be did not have them. She was arguidoed and targeted with threats about never seeing her children and offered a way out by serving two years. She stood up to Amaral and the case collapsed.

So just your opinion then? therefore no more valid than any other opinion.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Alice Purjorick

Many police memoirs which give the game away about what the situation was like before PACE.

Stephan Kiszco case.

Barry George Case

The Black and Tans

Etc!
Does this actually address what was being asked in the context of your post. You being big on context and all.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

OxfordBloo

Does this actually address what was being asked in the context of your post. You being big on context and all.

Yes.

Offline Mr Gray

Has amaral forgot he told us he was going to sue the McCanns

Offline faithlilly

Stephan Kiszco case.

Barry George Case

The Black and Tans

Etc!

Pace became law in 1984. Barry George was convicted in 2001.

Next.....!
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

OxfordBloo

Pace became law in 1984. Barry George was convicted in 2001.

Next.....!

I know that. PACE has limited the abuse but it is not perfect.

Offline faithlilly

I know that. PACE has limited the abuse but it is not perfect.

It was also not law as you suggested when Barry George was arrested.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

OxfordBloo

It was also not law as you suggested when Barry George was arrested.

PACE was law when Barry George was charged with Jill Dane's murder.

Offline faithlilly

PACE was law when Barry George was charged with Jill Dane's murder.

You suggested it wasn't.

OxfordBloo

You suggested it wasn't.

I did not.

The PACE reference is to the subject 'police memoirs'. You have read it to cover the other dreadful errors of British policing before the sea change of the past thirty years.

It is more than just PACE. English police now widely use cognitive interviewing, aimed not at a confession, but at fact finding to use as evidence.

Offline faithlilly

I did not.

The PACE reference is to the subject 'police memoirs'. You have read it to cover the other dreadful errors of British policing before the sea change of the past thirty years.

It is more than just PACE. English police now widely use cognitive interviewing, aimed not at a confession, but at fact finding to use as evidence.

Oh I think you did

Quote :

' Many police memoirs which give the game away about what the situation was like before PACE.

Stephan Kiszco case.

Barry George Case

The Black and Tans

Etc!'

Offline Brietta

So just your opinion then? therefore no more valid than any other opinion.

There is informed opinion and there is uninformed opinion, I prefer the former.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....