Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853037 times)

Offline G-Unit

In Portugal, defendants always have the right to appeal and do not need to ask for permission to do so. The right to appeal is inscribed in the law as a protection. The defendant sends his arguments and the upper court makes its decision accordingly. The defendant can keep appealing up to the Supreme Court.

Thanks, Montclair. 8((()*/
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Carana

In Portugal, defendants always have the right to appeal and do not need to ask for permission to do so. The right to appeal is inscribed in the law as a protection. The defendant sends his arguments and the upper court makes its decision accordingly. The defendant can keep appealing up to the Supreme Court.

I don't think that anyone is stating the contrary. But, as you said, there must be arguments, and those must presumbly be considered valid.

"I disagree" isn't a sufficient argument, is it?

Offline G-Unit

I don't think that anyone is stating the contrary. But, as you said, there must be arguments, and those must presumbly be considered valid.

"I disagree" isn't a sufficient argument, is it?

Montclair was replying to me when i asked if permission to appeal was needed. 8((()*/
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

OxfordBloo

I am not disputing that.
I am fascinated by the way lines get drawn, sides form up, a uniform is devised and anything to do with the other side is dodgy by definition. A bit like Man U and Liverpool really where, for a Kop man, the next best thing to a Liverpool victory is a Man U loss. Frightfully tribal.

My analysis exactly.

My beliefs right or wrong. Even if we are two divisions down we are still good and still winning. I know that because all my fellow believers support my delusions.

Offline Jean-Pierre

Of course there is a right to appeal - that exists in all countries with an independent judiciary.  However, There must be proper grounds for making an appeal and there are strict time limits within which to do so.  This is prevent a losing party from denying justice to the winner by spinning things out indefinitely.

Offline Eleanor

Goncalo Amaral has been given leave to appeal.  It only remains to be seen if he can actually come up with a reason by which to do so.
And I am going to be the last person to deny him.  Although at this moment in time I cannot see what logical or legal reason for why he should be able.

Personally, I don't really care.  He can no longer go on spouting absolute rubbish about nothing much at all.  Which is what it was all about in the first place.

Offline Montclair

Goncalo Amaral has been given leave to appeal.  It only remains to be seen if he can actually come up with a reason by which to do so.
And I am going to be the last person to deny him.  Although at this moment in time I cannot see what logical or legal reason for why he should be able.

Personally, I don't really care.  He can no longer go on spouting absolute rubbish about nothing much at all.  Which is what it was all about in the first place.

Don't worry, Gonçalo Amaral has plenty of logical and legal reasons to appeal.

As for spouting rubbish, the judgement stated that the book was not libellous and was based on facts but that, according to the judge, it is possible to besmirch someone's good name even when telling the truth.

OxfordBloo

As for spouting rubbish, the judgement stated that the book was not libellous and was based on facts but that, according to the judge, it is possible to besmirch someone's good name even when telling the truth.

Have you not bothered to read here for theast few days.

Amaral was found liable because he used privileged information and failed in his duty as a retired police officer to maintain the innocence of the McCanns.

Offline Eleanor

So you expect him to be spouting rubbish on Television any time soon?  I don't think so.  In fact, I very much doubt that Goncalo Amaral will ever have another word to say about the case, least not in his own defence.

The rest will be for ever the meanderings of a very nasty man.

Offline faithlilly

So you expect him to be spouting rubbish on Television any time soon?  I don't think so.  In fact, I very much doubt that Goncalo Amaral will ever have another word to say about the case, least not in his own defence.

The rest will be for ever the meanderings of a very nasty man.

IYO Eleanor.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Eleanor

IYO Eleanor.

Oh gosh. You think that I am actually entitled to an opinion that might differ from yours?

Goncalo Amaral was found guilty of abuse of privilege.  Spin that one if you can.

Offline Brietta

If the appeal is allowed, I feel he may be giving the McCann lawyers another window of opportunity, particularly as they have already achieved what many thought the impossible and may well be on a roll.
I'm sure they are well prepared for it anyway.

He must like the Courts holding his money for him, just like one of those investments you can't touch for some years, seems a good idea at the time, then you wish you hadn't because the interest rate is so rubbish you'd have been better just keeping it in a box under the bed.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Montclair

Have you not bothered to read here for theast few days.

Amaral was found liable because he used privileged information and failed in his duty as a retired police officer to maintain the innocence of the McCanns.

I have read the judge's decision, thank you very much. Her decision is her decision and there is no reason why it cannot be overturned. Her arguments are more or less the same as the ones used by the judge in February 2010 and that ruling was overturned by the Tribunal de Relação.

Offline faithlilly

Oh gosh. You think that I am actually entitled to an opinion that might differ from yours?

Goncalo Amaral was found guilty of abuse of privilege.  Spin that one if you can.

But his book wasn't found to be libellous and that after all is what really matters isn't it ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

OxfordBloo

IYO Eleanor.

Wait and see. The judgement makes it very clear that he is required by his position as a retired police officer to maintain absolutely the innocence of he McCanns. This will somewhat limit his range of speech.