Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853210 times)

OxfordBloo

But his book wasn't found to be libellous and that after all is what really matters isn't it ?

Nevertheless it was found to have damaged th McCanns and banned from further distribution for cash.

Also Amaral is now constrained to not use privileged knowledge derived from his employment and commanded to maintain absolutely the innocence of the McCanns.

This will limit his free speech somewhat and make his speeches somewhat boring. Just another superannuated cop.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 11:50:52 PM by OxfordBloo »

Offline faithlilly

If the appeal is allowed, I feel he may be giving the McCann lawyers another window of opportunity, particularly as they have already achieved what many thought the impossible and may well be on a roll.
I'm sure they are well prepared for it anyway.

He must like the Courts holding his money for him, just like one of those investments you can't touch for some years, seems a good idea at the time, then you wish you hadn't because the interest rate is so rubbish you'd have been better just keeping it in a box under the bed.

You seem very sure that the McCanns have the finances to pursue 'another window of opportunity'. Iin fact if the donations to Kate's cycle challenge is any barometer of public opinion I'd advise the McCanns that trying to grab more of Amaral's money may not be the wisest PR move ATM.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline faithlilly

Nevertheless it was found to have damaged th McCanns and banned from further distribution for cash.

Also Amaral is now constrained to not use privileged knowledge fined from his employment and commanded to maintain absolutely the innocence of the McCanns.

This will limit his free speech somewhat and make his speeches somewhat boring. Just another superannuated cop.

The book was not deemed libellous and the McCanns have been denied the exoneration they so obviously craved.

Looking at it any other way is like applying a sticking plaster to an open,,festering wound.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

OxfordBloo

The book was not deemed libellous and the McCanns have been denied the exoneration they so obviously craved.

Looking at it any other way is like applying a sticking plaster to an open,,festering wound.

The McCanns expressed aim was to stop Amaral accusing them.

They have succeeded.

Amaral must not call their innocence into doubt or use privileged information gained in the course of his employment.

Offline Brietta

They have succeeded.

Amaral must not call their innocence into doubt or use privileged information gained in the course of his employment.

I call that a result.  Probably on a par with the realisation that false forensic information had been disseminated when the FSS report came into the public domain.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline sadie

They have succeeded.

The actual damages werre just the icing on the cake

And will help their search for Madeleine.

Offline faithlilly

They have succeeded.

The McCanns expressed aim was to stop the search being harmed by the book, or at least that's how they justified spending fund money on the litigation.

However frustratingly the judge decided that no harm had been done to the search..Oops !

OxfordBloo

The McCanns expressed aim was to stop the search being harmed by the book, or at least that's how they justified spending fund money on the litigation.

However frustratingly the judge decided that no harm had been done to the search..Oops !

But the book has been banned which effectively stops any possible effect it might have on the search.

Online Eleanor

But his book wasn't found to be libellous and that after all is what really matters isn't it ?

Do you really believe that?  You were never any more half daft than I am.

No, apparently his book wasn't actually Libellous, within Portuguese Law, which still remains a mystery to us all.

Not much point in asking you to consider their innocence, I don't suppose.  But if I ever wanted to convince anyone then it would be you.
But then I don't. You will come to it by your own common sense.

Offline mercury

Do you really believe that?  You were never any more half daft than I am.

No, apparently his book wasn't actually Libellous, within Portuguese Law, which still remains a mystery to us all.

Not much point in asking you to consider their innocence, I don't suppose.  But if I ever wanted to convince anyone then it would be you.
But then I don't. You will come to it by your own common sense.

He presented his and his police forces theory based on the  evidence in a book, when it was clear for them all it was going to be a whitewash, so what? I suppose you would shoot all whistleblowers?

OxfordBloo

He presented his and his police forces theory based on the  evidence in a book, when it was clear for them all it was going to be a whitewash, so what? I suppose you would shoot all whistleblowers?

He misused privileged information and broke professional standards by accusing the legally innocent of being guilty.

Offline mercury

He misused privileged information and broke professional standards by accusing the legally innocent of being guilty.

So? Many have done so in the pursuit of truth....are you really one of the amaral [ censored word ]s that want him bankrupt whilst the mccanns profess to use the vast majority of their fund directly on search fees when its a fact its a lie? And use it for these proceedings

OxfordBloo

So? Many have done so in the pursuit of truth....are you really one of the amaral [ censored word ] that want him bankrupt whilst the mccanns profess to use the vast majority of their fund directly on search fees when its a fact its a lie? And use it for these proceedings

No. I am quite happy with the judgement of the Portuguese legal system which ha removed from him his ill gotten gains from the book nd other sources and put him in a Portuguese Gag so that he cannot further act unlawfully.

All his woes are of his own making. If he had maintained his professional standards he would currently be quietly retired. Instead he gambled on making illicit money from his early retirement and lost big.

I wish him no harm beyond that he has brought on himself.

Online Eleanor

No. I am quite happy with the judgement of the Portuguese legal system which ha removed from him his ill gotten gains from the book nd other sources and put him in a Portuguese Gag so that he cannot further act unlawfully.

All his woes are of his own making. If he had maintained his professional standards he would currently be quietly retired. Instead he gambled on making illicit money from his early retirement and lost big.

I wish him no harm beyond that he has brought on himself.

All things come to good in the end.  And no one I know hates Goncalo Amaral.  He is mostly an irrelevance and really fightfully sad.

Such good he could have done.

Offline Montclair

That is one judge's opinion only. The ruling of the Tribunal de Relação ruled that Gonçalo Amaral's rights to freedom of expression, as a Portuguese citizen, prevailed over his obligations as a retired policeman. Furthermore, the judges stated that his 26 years of experience also validated his opinion. The complete opposite of last week's decision.

AFAIK, Gonçalo Amaral has never been punished by the PJ hierarchy for breaking professional standards and if they believed that he had, any measures should have been taken 7 years ago.

BTW, the McCanns have never been declared legally innocent.