Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853037 times)

stephen25000

Damage to the McCanns was caused by the judge's interpretation of the law?!   @)(++(*

Hardly.

The mccanns damaged themselves and nothing you or your fellow mccann backers will ever change that truth.

The case starts and rests with them, as it always has.

stephen25000

The judge found that the McCanns had been damaged to the extent of half a million Euros.

For the time being I will accept the Judges verdict over some non entity on a tiny forum.

Who is likely to know Portuguese civil law the best?

My money is on the Judge.

Just one judge.

One judges view.

OxfordBloo

Just one judge.

One judges view.

But who is likely to know Portuguese law better, you or a Portuguese judge?

stephen25000

But who is likely to know Portuguese law better, you or a Portuguese judge?

Let's see what another judge(s) decide.

OxfordBloo

Let's see what another judge(s) decide.

Agreed. Meantime the best guide is the view of an expert on Portuguese law and neither you nor me.

Offline colombosstogey

Well its done for now, and there will be an appeal and so it goes on but still the child is missing. Soon the twins will be old enough to read all this for themselves and Amarals book can be downloaded for all to read.

It just goes on and on. I wish all the energy had been spent on finding the child rather then taking someone to court for years. I suppose it depends on peoples priorities.

Amaral has a good chance of winning an appeal and no money will be handed over until its all sorted out.  So really who are the winners in this sorry affair, the loser is the child sadly no 3 children, 2 of whom lost their sister, lucky for them they were not all taken away.

Offline Angelo222

The McCanns have not been found guilty of neglect in any country. Their previous history does not alter their right to sue or receive damages. Even if they had been found guilty, they could still have the right to sue.

It is called democracy and equality under the law. Human rights you know.

Don't be ridiculous Oxford, neglect was the least of their worries.  Had the PJ decided it was wilful or intentional instead of sheer stupidity they would have been prosecuted.  Do you think Social Services intervene for fun?
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline colombosstogey

Don't be ridiculous Oxford, neglect was the least of their worries.  Had the PJ decided it was wilful or intentional instead of sheer stupidity they would have been prosecuted.  Do you think Social Services intervene for fun?

Funny enough since this happened a couple were arrested were they not in Portugal for drinking in front of the kids. I think they should have been arrested personally as a child was harmed by their neglect no matter how people keep swinging it around.

Offline Angelo222

It is not my subjective opinion, but the judgement of the court.

Even if Amaral's theory was true, it would not affect his unlawful behaviour towards the McCanns by breaking confidence and failing in his oath of office - the actions for which damages were awarded.

If it was found that they were involved all civil awards would be reversed.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 04:00:22 PM by John »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

OxfordBloo

If it was found that they were involved all civil awards would be reversed.

In your opinion. Cite?

Even prisoners are allowed to sue for damages.

Offline Angelo222

In your opinion. Cite?

Even prisoners are allowed to sue for damages.

Completely irrelevant. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 03:49:09 PM by John »

Je ne regrette rien!!

Alfred R Jones

Hardly.

The mccanns damaged themselves and nothing you or your fellow mccann backers will ever change that truth.

The case starts and rests with them, as it always has.
If the McCanns damaged themselves then why were damages awarded to them and against Amaral?

Offline John

If the McCanns damaged themselves then why were damages awarded to them and against Amaral?

I think the judge did try to dispense justice according to the Law prevailing in Portugal.  In the end she took the least controversial route by awarding the McCanns damages in full (€250k to each parent) but throwing out the children's claim.  She had no choice but to ban the book and DVD.

My own view is that there is some room for an appeal court to reduce the award but little else.

What Amaral does next will be interesting for so many reasons.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 04:02:01 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Mr Gray

I think the judge did try to dispense justice according to the Law prevailing in Portugal.  In the end she took the least controversial route by awarding the McCanns damages in full (€250k to each parent) but throwing out the children's claim.  She had no choice but to ban the book and DVD.

My own view is that there is some room for an appeal court to reduce the award but little else.

amaral has no choice but to appeal

Alfred R Jones

I agree with the statement in bold.  Do you believe that the judgment awarding the McCanns unprecedented damages and the banning of the book and DVD was a failure for them, as claimed by Angelo on this thread?