Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853239 times)

Alfred R Jones

Do none of you remember the comments only a couple of months ago by amaral suggesting he had been successful in the trial. The verdict is  a massive victory for the McCanns...amaral must be devastated. Who knows what will happen next...amaral may be refused an appeal...we don't know
Believe it or not they are still saying that the result was a terrible failure for the McCanns and Amaral will be victorious on appeal...

Offline Mr Gray

EXCLUSIVE: ‘McCanns will lose £1m libel trial’ Judge’s initial findings go against couple

The former Portuguese detective locked in a libel battle with Kate and Gerry McCann is confident of winning the case after a judge accepted some of his arguments.

This is what amaral was saying only a few months ago

Alfred R Jones

The PI commercial outfits (Control Risks, Metodo3, Alpha, etc), who were paid in total possibly over a £million by rich backers, have failed to crack the case after 8 years. Also SY having spent several £million have not cracked it. Mr A gets no money from rich backers. However I am suggesting that he tries to succeed where the generously-paid commercial businesses and their rich backers have failed.  IMO his theory is flawed in one respect at its core, and also has many finer details wrong, however if rigidity is dismissed and the theory improved it might succeed where the heavily-paid PI businesses have failed.
Yes the one flaw at the core of Amaral's theory is that the McCanns were not involved in hiding their child's body.  In all other respects it's spot on!  8((()*/

Offline Alice Purjorick

Believe it or not they are still saying that the result was a terrible failure for the McCanns and Amaral will be victorious on appeal...

With the best will in the world, with the plaintiffs having about 700k of their claim deffed out and one defendant being stuffed for Euros 500k, I don't see how either of those parties can spin it as a major victory, I would have thought it more like a score draw going into extra time. The winners were the publishers and TV company as they were let off.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Brietta

With the best will in the world, with the plaintiffs having about 700k of their claim deffed out and one defendant being stuffed for Euros 500k, I don't see how either of those parties can spin it as a major victory, I would have thought it more like a score draw going into extra time. The winners were the publishers and TV company as they were let off.

Then you think the Judge was even handed in her Judgement?

Perhaps that knocks another brick out of the wall for Mr Amaral's basis to appeal it?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline jassi

I can't see that that could have any influence on the basis of appeal, though it might very well influence his chances of winning.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

so you think both sides came out fairly even.......you are extremely deluded...

amaral to pay 500,000......the mccanns to receive 500,00    and you think that's fairly even

stephen25000

amaral to pay 500,000......the mccanns to receive 500,00    and you think that's fairly even

and the mccanns have received precisely nothing in their bank account.

Nice.

Offline Brietta

Nice.

Sigh ... the award will never go near their bank account ...  @)(++(* ... it will go directly into Madeleine's Fund.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Mr Gray

Nice.

they have received a favourable judgement and amaral has been humiliated..nicer

Offline Alice Purjorick

That is one way of looking at it I suppose.
I incline to the view that a smart person will look at the objectives of the writ and what the end result was vis a vis those objectives.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Alice Purjorick

Then you think the Judge was even handed in her Judgement?

Perhaps that knocks another brick out of the wall for Mr Amaral's basis to appeal it?
I don't think I said that at all. I believe furthermore that you realise I didn't.

Offline Lace

Sigh ... the award will never go near their bank account ...  @)(++(* ... it will go directly into Madeleine's Fund.

Exactly Brietta,   Kate said it wasn't because of the money.    The money would go into the fund.   Why do people keep thinking that the McCann's are having the money for themselves.

It is AMARAL who wants the money for himself.   To no doubt buy another flashy car,  earring and flaunt and preen himself in front of the women.

They keep going on the McCann's loved being in the lime light treated as celebrities,  but from what I have read it was AMARAL who enjoyed that life style.

Offline Brietta

I don't think I said that at all. I believe furthermore that you realise I didn't.

I think you did ... and I have posted accordingly.

Perhaps it would be an idea to make more concise posts which are not subject to misinterpretation of your actual meaning.
If you reread your original post you will see that I am perfectly correct to equate your "score draw" without having to resort to misrepresentation.

Interestingly Davel appears to have given your post a similar interpretation to my own. 

So please refrain from impugning my integrity.

My original answer to you concerned what would perhaps be the grounds Mr Amaral's lawyers would present to the Appeal Court to justify lawful avenues concerning his ability to have an appeal allowed ... I note you have not bothered to discuss that as opposed to deflecting to the trivia of arguing you did not say what you did.

Offline sadie

Pegasus.  The Winged Horse. 
It was never the place of The McCanns to prove their innocence.  Or for any of whoever might have been employed by whoever to so so either.  Although I would say that they were looking for their daughter rather than trying to prove their innocence.

You say that Goncalo Amaral failed at the core, and in certain other respects.  So if he has failed in so many ways what gave him the right to inflict even more pain on them?  When even you have doubts about his ideas.

I have now gotten beyond him and his theories.  And anyone else on this Forum. I do the best that I can for both sides. 

But just for tonight I am a bit distressed about the blatant unkindness.

The ultimate conclusion of The Trial, for whatever purpose that might serve, is of no consequence to me.  And if I am ever proved to be wrong about my trust in The McCanns then I will have lost nothing.  I will never have lost me or my inherent kindness.
[/glow]
-snip-

The Voice of humanity.  Well spoken Eleanor

8@??)( 8@??)( 8@??)(

My feelings exactly altho I do feel that the results of the trial are very important.

I actually feel sorry for Amaral.  Has he had huge pressures put on him by the group/Organisation?

But he should have known better and behaved properly IMO.

I dont want to see him lose his everything, but a little [Name removed] bird tells me that some ridiculously rich people will bail him out financially at the end of ALL the Court cases.