Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853271 times)

Alfred R Jones

Amarals objective is irrelevant. The relevant objectives are those what are writ in the writ.
Those objectives are clearly defined in the judgement you so kindly posted a link to what now seems like a elephants age ago but was only about a fortnight.
Compare the items the writ sought with that which has been granted by the judge. I don't see how you can judge success or otherwise without making that comparison.
The overall objective was to punish Amaral.  OK, they asked for a million and only got 500k - maybe they aimed high, but realistically expected less, who knows, except we do know that for them it wasn't about the money and all about making Amaral pay, and about getting him to shut up and his book and video pulled.  There is no other way to put it - this was an unmitigated disaster for Amaral, and the sweetest victory for the McCanns.  I don't see Amaral crowing about "score draws" and the award being only half that which was asked for, I see a man on the brink of utter ruin, reliant on handouts and charity from a bunch of misguided, gullible fools who are egging him on to potentially even greater humiliation and loss.  That's not a position I'd be happy to find myself in.

ferryman

The overall objective was to punish Amaral.  OK, they asked for a million and only got 500k - maybe they aimed high, but realistically expected less, who knows, except we do know that for them it wasn't about the money and all about making Amaral pay, and about getting him to shut up and his book and video pulled.  There is no other way to put it - this was an unmitigated disaster for Amaral, and the sweetest victory for the McCanns.  I don't see Amaral crowing about "score draws" and the award being only half that which was asked for, I see a man on the brink of utter ruin, reliant on handouts and charity from a bunch of misguided, gullible fools who are egging him on to potentially even greater humiliation and loss.  That's not a position I'd be happy to find myself in.

It was always the judgment rather than the money that mattered most to the McCanns.

They have confirmation that Amaral's book is a work of fiction purporting to be a factual record of the shelved investigation commenced in 2007.

Obviously after finding Madeleine, that is what the McCanns wanted most.

stephen25000

It was always the judgment rather than the money that mattered most to the McCanns.

They have confirmation that Amaral's book is a work of fiction purporting to be a factual record of the shelved investigation commenced in 2007.

Obviously after finding Madeleine, that is what the McCanns wanted most.

The book never harmed the search.

A total fallacy.

This has all been about the mccanns wanting revenge on Amaral.

ferryman

The book never harmed the search.

A total fallacy.

This has all been about the mccanns wanting revenge on Amaral.

They wanted to punish Amaral for falsely accusing them of responsibility for Madeleine's (unconfirmed) "death"; for falsely accusing them of covering up the "fact" of her "death"; and for falsely accusing them of launching a fraudulent fund in their (dead!) daughter's name.

Is that all so unreasonable?

Offline Alice Purjorick

According to the writ the key objectives were.
Damages for G & K
Damages for Madeleine
Damages for Amelie
Damages for Sean
Have the court confirm the book damaged the search for Madeleine.
By implication punish Amaral, the publishers and the TV company.
In the event the judge only awarded damages (less than half the total sum claimed) to G & K to be paid by Amaral subject to being upheld on appeal. Whether it is unprecedented in Portugal is largely irrelevant as it would appear to based on his income from the book.
Watch this space.
If the appeal court upholds the judgment then it's time to reach for the Bolly. Before then would be a little previous as we used to say.
Whether or not Amaral is having ring twitter is irrelevant.
I would not be happy in his position either but whatever country you live in the general advice of "never get your self in the hands of the courts" is sound.

"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

stephen25000

They wanted to punish Amaral for falsely accusing them of responsibility for Madeleine's (unconfirmed) "death"; for falsely accusing them of covering up the "fact" of her "death"; and for falsely accusing them of launching a fraudulent fund in their (dead!) daughter's name.

Is that all so unreasonable?

It has not yet been established how and when exactly Madeleine 'disappeared'.

Has the 'thesis' of accidental death been disproved ferryman ?

ferryman

It has not yet been established how and when exactly Madeleine 'disappeared'.

Has the 'thesis' of accidental death been disproved ferryman ?

Disproved?

There's no evidence for it.

stephen25000

Disproved?

There's no evidence for it.

There are indications ferryman, not corroborated by forensics.

Meanwhile there is no evidence whatsoever worth a grain of salt to support abduction.

Even Redwood admitted Madeleine may not have left the apartment alive.

ferryman

There are indications ferryman, not corroborated by forensics.

Meanwhile there is no evidence whatsoever worth a grain of salt to support abduction.

Even Redwood admitted Madeleine may not have left the apartment alive.

You are confusing concepts.

There is not a shred of evidence that Kate or Gerry harmed Madeleine.

stephen25000

You are confusing concepts.

There is not a shred of evidence that Kate or Gerry harmed Madeleine.

I never said there was.

and I am not 'confusing concepts'.

Alfred R Jones

According to the writ the key objectives were.
Damages for G & K
Damages for Madeleine
Damages for Amelie
Damages for Sean
Have the court confirm the book damaged the search for Madeleine.
By implication punish Amaral, the publishers and the TV company.
In the event the judge only awarded damages (less than half the total sum claimed) to G & K to be paid by Amaral subject to being upheld on appeal. Whether it is unprecedented in Portugal is largely irrelevant as it would appear to based on his income from the book.
Watch this space.
If the appeal court upholds the judgment then it's time to reach for the Bolly. Before then would be a little previous as we used to say.
Whether or not Amaral is having ring twitter is irrelevant.
I would not be happy in his position either but whatever country you live in the general advice of "never get your self in the hands of the courts" is sound.
So if it is your contention that the time to celebrate is after the appeal, then assuming the judgement remains the same, we must conclude that the trial was a success for the McCanns and a failure for Amaral.  It took a while but we got there in the end!

stephen25000

Now back to the topic.

How will mccann supporters react, if the appeal case goes ahead as looks a certainty and the verdict of the previous court is overturned  ?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:08:40 PM by stephen25000 »

Offline jassi

Now bac to the topic.

How will mccann supporters react, if the appeal case goes ahead as looks a certainty and the verdict of the previous court is overturned  ?

We wuz robbed   @)(++(*
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

Now bac to the topic.

how will you react if the appeal court uphold the verdict

stephen25000

how will you react if the appeal court uphold the verdict

Try answering my question first.