Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 852936 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Try answering my question first.
I  would probably top myself

Alfred R Jones

Offline Alice Purjorick

So if it is your contention that the time to celebrate is after the appeal, then assuming the judgement remains the same, we must conclude that the trial was a success for the McCanns and a failure for Amaral.  It took a while but we got there in the end!

I did not say celebrate a success I said reach for the Bolly.
If the case was a resounding legal success for the McCanns why did the judge apportion 60% court costs for them to pay do you suppose?
Me? if I got out of it not costing me money I would consider it a result. There is small matter of 6 years of legal fees to be considered.
As I observed just after the judgement "It would be interesting to see a P & L for this little venture".
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfred R Jones

If the case was a resounding legal success for the McCanns why did the judge apportion 60% court costs for them to pay do you suppose?
Me? if I got out of it not costing me money I would consider it a result. There is small matter of 6 years of legal fees to be considered.
As I observed just after the judgement "It would be interesting to see a P & L for this little venture".
So when you said "If the appeal court upholds the judgment then it's time to reach for the Bolly" you didn"t mean celebrate a success??!  @)(++(*  What DID you mean then?

As for the rest of your post I believe it is standard practice for both sides to share legal costs, I think you'd have to be really, really REALLY naive to believe that 6 years of court action wouldn't cost you anything,  I'm sure the McCanns feel however that it was worth every penny to wipe the smug expression of Amaral's mush.  A P & L for Amaral's "little venture" would indeed be very interesting indeed.

Offline Mr Gray

if you want to pretend this is not a fantastic victory for the McCanns...carry on. I wonder what amaral thinks about the result...humiliated by his own country's court...ordered to pay the McCanns 500,000...he can appeal but his own assets still frozen...all this having claimed a few months ago he had won.....he must be devastated

Alfred R Jones

if you want to pretend this is not a fantastic victory for the McCanns...carry on. I wonder what amaral thinks about the result...humiliated by his own country's court...ordered to pay the McCanns 500,000...he can appeal but his own assets still frozen...all this having claimed a few months ago he had won.....he must be devastated
Yes, if this result was such a failure for the McCanns then why is it not they who are appealing the judge's decision?

stephen25000

What is very visible, is that the case is going to appeal, and as has happened before, the initial verdict can be overturned.

The mccanns have not received a penny, Amaral's assets are frozen for now, as they have been for some time.

Meanwhile Amaral has had several hundreds of people donating to his appeal fund, but poor kate mccann, who we are constantly reminded is very popular  @)(++(* @)(++(* @)(++(*   has barely managed to get a 100 people to back her for a charity run.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 08:41:47 AM by stephen25000 »

Offline Angelo222

A victory can only be achieved in law when there is no further recourse.  A partial victory would be a better description of events and that can be said of both primary parties.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

Yes, if this result was such a failure for the McCanns then why is it not they who are appealing the judge's decision?

That could very well happen yet after the next round.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Brietta

What is very visible, is that the case is going to appeal, and as has happened before, the initial verdict can be overturned.

The mccanns have not received a penny, Amaral's assets are frozen for now, as they have been for some time.

Meanwhile Amaral has had several hundreds of people donating to his appeal fund, but poor kate mccann, who we are constantly reminded is very popular  @)(++(* @)(++(* @)(++(*   has barely managed to get a 100 people to back her for a charity run.

Hmmm ... so that is "victory" having one's assets remaining frozen by the Portuguese Courts ... wonder if Mr Amaral views it in quite that light.

As far as subscribing to Mr Amaral's appeal fund goes ... people are entitled to do what they will with their charity ... however your constant whining comparison with the money being collected by Kate McCann for a charity bike ride is really so revealing.

If Mr Amaral is allowed to appeal the decision of a Portuguese Court ... well and good ... but I think he may be denying himself the opportunity to cut his losses and have access to his own funds.

In the interim ... Madeleine McCann's case remains active ... and I am sure if it leads to a positive result for Madeleine ... you will be among the first to rejoice. 
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

stephen25000

Hmmm ... so that is "victory" having one's assets remaining frozen by the Portuguese Courts ... wonder if Mr Amaral views it in quite that light.

As far as subscribing to Mr Amaral's appeal fund goes ... people are entitled to do what they will with their charity ... however your constant whining comparison with the money being collected by Kate McCann for a charity bike ride is really so revealing.

If Mr Amaral is allowed to appeal the decision of a Portuguese Court ... well and good ... but I think he may be denying himself the opportunity to cut his losses and have access to his own funds.

In the interim ... Madeleine McCann's case remains active ... and I am sure if it leads to a positive result for Madeleine ... you will be among the first to rejoice.

Pathetic.

If mccann had received hundreds of backers for the charity you would be gloating.

However, in the cold light of day is it finally dawning on you and others, that the mccanns are far from popular ?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 09:16:16 AM by stephen25000 »

Alfred R Jones

That could very well happen yet after the next round.
All sorts of things could happen, but we are discussing the here and now.  If the result was such a flop for the McCanns why haven't they appealed?

Offline Alice Purjorick

I am not pretending anything. The same question remains.
Why do you think it is a fantastic victory when the game is not finished? The judgement is subject to appeal.
Whether Amaral is devastated or his assets remain frozen is not relevant to the argument. I don't give a monkeys about Amaral or the McCanns but I am fascinated by the mindset that can declare an unfinished game a victory for one side or the other.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Alice Purjorick

So when you said "If the appeal court upholds the judgment then it's time to reach for the Bolly" you didn"t mean celebrate a success??!  @)(++(*  What DID you mean then?

As for the rest of your post I believe it is standard practice for both sides to share legal costs, I think you'd have to be really, really REALLY naive to believe that 6 years of court action wouldn't cost you anything,  I'm sure the McCanns feel however that it was worth every penny to wipe the smug expression of Amaral's mush.  A P & L for Amaral's "little venture" would indeed be very interesting indeed.

Work it out for yourself you should be able to without my help.
Is it?
So in your opinion it is about revenge nothing more nothing less?
Think of your own lines.

Offline Alice Purjorick

All sorts of things could happen, but we are discussing the here and now.  If the result was such a flop for the McCanns why haven't they appealed?

Did the judge give them leave to appeal the bits of their claim she booted out?
or
How do you know they haven't appealed?