Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853028 times)

Offline G-Unit

The judge didn't rule on Amaral's thesis, so why should it be addressed by any appeal?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:46:39 PM by John »
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Brietta

The judge didn't rule on Amaral's thesis, so why should it be addressed by any appeal?

Mr Amaral's thesis and his blind adherence to it from the beginning, which he attests in his book, is the genesis of today's situation; I don't know how the appeal system works in Portugal, but I imagine if there is argument there will be counter argument.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

There is no guarantee for him that an appeal will save any of his money, because I think that is what it all revolves round now, the award might even be increased.  I think the time of 'credibility' is over for him and it will be interesting to have the view of the court, should it come to that.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:48:46 PM by John »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

Mr Amaral is yet again trying to flood the court of public opinion with the drunken myths his 'documentary' did so much to promote ~ one last spiteful throw of the dice. 

However it is the opinion of the real court that is the deciding factor ~ and I don't see him being able to have that decision overturned; what's more I don't think he does either.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:50:09 PM by John »

ferryman

The point was raised about whether Amaral's theory has been disproved.

If it has been, that may have an impact on Amaral's appeal ...

A key part of Amaral's theory is that the Smiths saw Gerry carrying Madeleine ...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:52:55 PM by John »

Offline Brietta

A key part of Amaral's theory is that the Smiths saw Gerry carrying Madeleine ...

Thanks ferryman ... then his appeal is toast.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:53:07 PM by John »

Offline G-Unit

The judge didn't give an opinion about the theory so why would the truth or otherwise of it be relevant? There are two points on which the award was made; whether he should have used the case files and whether he should, as a former policeman, have upheld the presumption of innocence of suspects.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:53:20 PM by John »
Result = happy posting.

ferryman

The judge didn't give an opinion about the theory so why would the truth or otherwise of it be relevant? There are two points on which the award was made; whether he should have used the case files and whether he should, as a former policeman, have upheld the presumption of innocence of suspects.

That the judge considers Amaral's theory disproved is inherent in her judgment.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:54:15 PM by John »

Offline G-Unit

That the judge considers Amaral's theory disproved is inherent in her judgment.

You can believe what you wish, but she didn't make a ruling on it's truth, she just said it hurt the McCanns. Had you or I written it we wouldn't have had to pay anything
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:55:18 PM by John »
Result = happy posting.

ferryman

You can believe what you wish, but she didn't make a ruling on it's truth, she just said it hurt the McCanns. Had you or I written it we wouldn't have had to pay anything

I guess we must agree to differ on that.

stephen25000

Thanks ferryman ... then his appeal is toast.

Nothing to do with the appeal.

Offline Alice Purjorick

Where did she say that? Isn't there a difference between listing facts that hadn't been proven to the court's satisfaction and categorically ruling that it hadn't impeded the search?

Part of the writ was that the book impeded the search for the child the judge decreed it hadn't been proved suggesting the book did not impede the search.
Tell you what lets delete the last line in my post because it doesn't alter the sense one jot.
i.e wreak as much revenge* on Dr Amaral as is humanly possibly and the key elements remain unknown. See original post.
* is it revenge people are after or a biblical reckoning do you think?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Brietta

I think as much as anything which has led to the unravelling of Mr Amaral's theory has been the initiation and the continuation of the search for Madeleine McCann which is being conducted by two highly professional and respected bodies.

If the judge was unable to find for the McCanns on the book ... it may very well have been on her mind when considering what she could find for them ... which may explain the enormity of the sum awarded to them.

Perhaps all will be revealed when the application for the appeal process is put before the courts?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 03:58:38 PM by John »

Offline Alice Purjorick

I think as much as anything which has led to the unravelling of Mr Amaral's theory has been the initiation and the continuation of the search for Madeleine McCann which is being conducted by two highly professional and respected bodies.

If the judge was unable to find for the McCanns on the book ... it may very well have been on her mind when considering what she could find for them ... which may explain the enormity of the sum awarded to them.

Perhaps all will be revealed when the application for the appeal process is put before the courts?

Is the PJ included in the two? Only 40 years out of a dictatorship and so on. My how the worm has turned.
Equally it may have been on her mind she wanted to go out for dinner.
C'mon you can do better than that surely.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Brietta

Is the PJ included in the two? Only 40 years out of a dictatorship and so on. My how the worm has turned.
Equally it may have been on her mind she wanted to go out for dinner.
C'mon you can do better than that surely.

As demonstrated by recent prosecutions ... "the old order changeth yielding place to new" ... which may be why those who cling to the past may well be left standing at the door of the Portuguese Appeal Court.

Not to worry though, I'm sure people will still be desperate to finance appeals to the European Court of Human Rights.  That might indeed put a different complexion on the locus of the book content as it reflects on the McCanns' Human Rights.