Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853033 times)

Offline Jean-Pierre

But not because, in a legal sense, he deserved to get away with it; simply because the McCanns wouldn't have bothered to pursue it.

Is that right?

They are pursuing it because he is damaging the search for Madeleine. 

If the book had been written by Joe Blogs then it would not have sold well and would not have damaged the search.

stephen25000

If the book had been written by Joe Blogs then it would not have sold well and would not have damaged the search.

No.

It has never harmed the 'search' for Madeleine.

Pull the other one.

Just another myth perpetuated by the mccanns and their limited band is supporters

Offline Montclair

The judge stated in her verdict that it was not proven that the book damaged the search for Madeleine.

Offline Montclair

Not quite.  The verdict of the court turned on Amarals job.

(a)  As a police officer he had a duty to uphold the law and this includes to maintain the right of presumption of innocence.  This continues even though he is retired.

(b) He wrote his book making great play of being a police officer and the coordinator of the case.  This lent his tale greater credibility and meant that it was taken more seriously and sold more than if it had been written by Joe Blogs.

(c) a further point was that he published it very soon after the files were realised and so was using privileged information. 

All in all, he abused his position, and is paying the price.

If Gonçalo Amaral had abused his position, why was he never sanctioned by the PJ hierarchy? IIRC, Isabel Duarte rushed to a court in Oeiras, along with the McCann couple, to file a complaint against GA for not respecting the secret of justice. This was in 2010 and I don't remember him being accused by the Ministério Público for this. The arguments in the judgement could have come from the mouth of Isabel Duarte, they have always been her "cheval de bataille".

ferryman

If Gonçalo Amaral had abused his position, why was he never sanctioned by the PJ hierarchy? IIRC, Isabel Duarte rushed to a court in Oeiras, along with the McCann couple, to file a complaint against GA for not respecting the secret of justice. This was in 2010 and I don't remember him being accused by the Ministério Público for this. The arguments in the judgement could have come from the mouth of Isabel Duarte, they have always been her "cheval de bataille".

No clue why Amaral was let off the hook for breaching judicial secrecy.

But he assuredly did (breach judicial secrecy).

Have you, yet, got the hang of the fact that in the next round, Amaral will be the appellant?

Offline pegasus

Good news for the mccann supporters.

The fund has reached the £25,000 and the 'appeal will be filed in due tme'.

8)--)) 8@??)( 8@??)( 8@??)(
Fantastic.
BTW how many UK papers will report this tomorrow?

stephen25000

Fantastic.
BTW how many UK papers will report this tomorrow?

We shall see shortly.

Offline Jean-Pierre

Yes we shall see shortly, although why there seems to be so much excitement over "what the MSM will say" I have not a clue.

The important thing is that Amaral will be properly represented at the appeal, and will not have a bar to proceeding with it should he so decide. 

Offline pegasus

We shall see shortly.
My prediction is that whatever expert does the anti-Amaral PR will try to get the word "trolls" pasted into every article as it passes the editors' desks.

Offline Eleanor

I am no longer even remotely inclined to pronounce on Portuguese Law because it is entirely beyond my comprehension.

I perfectly understand why The Judge ruled as she did, but for reasons that wouldn't have taken me five years to get to.  These reasons were so obvious that no Court Case should have been necessary in the first place.

You all know the rest of what I might have to say.  Goncalo Amaral broke every rule in the book, even according to their bizarre Laws.

So don't imagine that The Judge is an idiot.  She most seriously does not want her ruling to be overturned.

Offline Alice Purjorick

Good news for the mccann supporters.

The fund has reached the £25,000 and the 'appeal will be filed in due tme'.

8)--)) 8@??)( 8@??)( 8@??)(

Oh bother I got it wrong again dad! I said it would take about 6 weeks.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfred R Jones

Yes, you sure did underestimate the fanatical zeal of the Ammy Barmy Army!

Offline G-Unit

Posted today;

Projecto Justiça Gonçalo Amaral's Legal Defence account has received since April 28, 2015

- through Paypal:

€ 5643.62 (five thousand six hundred forty three euro and sixty two cents)
and
$ 90.57 (ninety dollars and fifty seven cents)

- through the GoFundMe page created by Leanne Baulch:

£ 23,910 (twenty three thousand nine hundred and ten pounds)

These amounts will be applied to cover expenses with the defence of Gonçalo Amaral, in the civil suit brought against him by the McCann family.

The appeal is being prepared by Mr Amaral's lawyers and will be filed in due time.

Once the appeal is filed, PJGA will publish a statement.

At this point, we would like to, once again, thank you for your immense support - and patience.
http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk

The fund now stands at;

£25,300 of £25k

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Brietta

Not sure if that effort measures up to the £40,000 raised in three days using the same method of subscription, to unseat Mr Carmichael ... maybe it doesn't count since it didn't reach its target.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3103604/Court-bid-oust-former-Lib-Dem-minister-Alistair-Carmichael-MP-revelation-leaked-Sturgeon-memo.html#ixzz3boBMfGez

The Law seems to be an expensive business both here and in Portugal ... is anyone in the position to know if the Portuguese collection for Mr Amaral's Fund matches the British one?

Should be easy enough for those in the know to find out ... transparency and all that.

"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline jassi

Not sure if that effort measures up to the £40,000 raised in three days using the same method of subscription, to unseat Mr Carmichael ... maybe it doesn't count since it didn't reach its target.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3103604/Court-bid-oust-former-Lib-Dem-minister-Alistair-Carmichael-MP-revelation-leaked-Sturgeon-memo.html#ixzz3boBMfGez

The Law seems to be an expensive business both here and in Portugal ... is anyone in the position to know if the Portuguese collection for Mr Amaral's Fund matches the British one?

Should be easy enough for those in the know to find out ... transparency and all that.

The fund isn't restricted to a single country and all the donations are available for viewing if you care to trawl through them
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future