Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853530 times)

Offline pegasus

As there's one born every minute it's quite a poor response
14 every minute.
IMO the main thing is that the remarkably successful fund will ensure that the appeal is not lost through lack of a good lawyer.

Offline Mr Gray

14 every minute.
IMO the main thing is that the remarkably successful fund will ensure that the appeal is not lost through lack of a good lawyer.

I would agree with you there

Offline Alice Purjorick

Alice 29-04-2015
At the present donation rate of £67 per hour and allowing a bit of diversity he'll have it in about 6 weeks

Davel 29-04-2015
you are making rather a ridiculous assumption that the rate will continue at a similar level

Alf 29-04-2015
We shall review the total in 6 weeks and see if you're right.

What a surprise for everyone.
 8(*(
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Eleanor

I think Amaral has already gone through most of the good lawyers in Portugal.  Or at least most of those who would be fool enough to represent him.

Offline misty

Has the wording on what the defence fund is to be used for been altered?

Offline Alice Purjorick

I think Amaral has already gone through most of the good lawyers in Portugal.  Or at least most of those who would be fool enough to represent him.

Well they know he has access to £25k at least which is about all they will be interested in. If that's enough someone will step up to the oche.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Eleanor

Well they know he has access to £25k at least which is about all they will be interested in. If that's enough someone will step up to the oche.

Until he gets the sack, along with all of the rest.

Offline Jean-Pierre

1606 donations, take away foreigners and repeat contributions. Oh yes and for one big donation count the large number of individuals who put money in the helmet. About 1000 brits total IMO. And special thanks to the generous headline writer at the Star for directly generating about £300 of donations.

There really is one born every minute!  Do you actually believe that a group of serving MET police officers made a contribution of £1000 to Amaral?

A clue - because someone puts something in a comment section does not necessarily make it true  8(0(*

Offline Alice Purjorick

There really is one born every minute!  Do you actually believe that a group of serving MET police officers made a contribution of £1000 to Amaral?

A clue - because someone puts something in a comment section does not necessarily make it true  8(0(*

I guess believing MPS means Metropolitan Police Service rather than Metres Per Second might lead to confusion.
In my day the comment was: "well it says Bovril on the back of a Routemaster". Then on the other hand never rule out Cocker's Law.

Offline lordpookles

I guess believing MPS means Metropolitan Police Service rather than Metres Per Second might lead to confusion.
In my day the comment was: "well it says Bovril on the back of a Routemaster". Then on the other hand never rule out Cocker's Law.

Wots cockers law? I've heard you speak of it before...

Offline Alice Purjorick

Wots cockers law? I've heard you speak of it before...

AKA "Murphy's Law":
"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong" or a variant: "If it is remotely possible for something to happen it probably will happen".

Offline Brietta

AKA "Murphy's Law":
"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong" or a variant: "If it is remotely possible for something to happen it probably will happen".

Let's put it this way ... the Met are involved in an active investigation which requires the cooperation of another country's police force, particularly as that country retains the lead authority in the case of a missing child.

Officers from the Met are
(a)  showing preference in a judgement handed down by that country's Courts
(b)  the pursuers in that case happen to be the parents of the missing child subject to active investigation by the Met

So at a stroke there is a risk of alienating the establishment of a country whose good will is pivotal to the ongoing case.
There is a risk of causing anxiety, not only to the parents of the child involved in the active Met case, but also to those concerned the police should be seen to be impartial.

All in my opinion of course ... and anyway I have as much faith in the existence of these as I have in the existence of Ulrich Merz.

It's all very much like crisis time in Ireland when instead of the Madonnas starting to spin ... we have detectives.

There is nothing delaying the request for an appeal being submitted now ... and those digging into their pockets should be aware that if allowed it will be an expensive business as long as they are prepared to dig deep ... but while doing so they should remember that Mr Amaral does not qualify for financial support to proceed his cases for the simple reason his income is too great.

"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline pegasus

Agreed the interpretation of initials MPS may be over-imaginative but the point is a group of people (possibly connected with law enforcement) together made a donation of £1000 pounds. And that was matched by another £1000 from an individual.
BTW has anyone clarified whether the costs of the many lawyers of the opposing side are being paid from their fund or not? Does anyone know?

Offline Angelo222

Alice 29-04-2015
At the present donation rate of £67 per hour and allowing a bit of diversity he'll have it in about 6 weeks

Davel 29-04-2015
you are making rather a ridiculous assumption that the rate will continue at a similar level

Alf 29-04-2015
We shall review the total in 6 weeks and see if you're right.

What a surprise for everyone.
 8(*(

Quelle surprise!!!  Davel got it wrong again  @)(++(*

Well predicted Alice....  go to the top of the class!!!   8((()*/ 8@??)(
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 06:19:39 AM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

Update from Leanne Baulch as fund reaches £26,356 in a month!!

When I started the GoFundMe, so many people said they thought I was being over-ambitious with the target, even I had doubts that we would get this far. Not because I doubted Gonçalo's support, but because I didn't think people would know about the site to donate in the first place. I wanted a place for us to be able show our support, a place for us all to come together to stand by what is right, and a place for those that don't have PayPal to donate, and that's exactly what it has been, and hopefully, with your support, will continue to be.

What we have achieved together is truly amazing, but it's not over yet. We still need to keep supporting Gonçalo, whether that is by donating, sharing the link to the fund, or with your kind messages, it all counts, and it's extremely important.

Thank you for donating, thank you for sharing, and thank you for supporting! You are all fantastic people, standing up for what is right. Gonçalo needed our support, and it's evident on here that he has so much! It's not just about the donations, the messages of support are priceless.

www.gofundme.com/Legal-DefencePJGA
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 06:30:25 AM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!