Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 852930 times)

Offline Carana

The legal position is that gofundme operates under Californian law.  All donations are in the nature of an outright gift, and the money can be used for any purpose whatsoever.

That nowithstanding I would expect contributors to this and to the PJGA to be made aware of the financial position of fund. Transparency was promised but so far has been observed in the breach.

It is interesting that so many of those who complain about lack of transparency in the "find madeleine" fund (which is subject to independent scrutiny and audit) are sanguine about the total lack of transparency in the PJGA.

Personally, I have no objection to people paying to have a time-share certificate on a meteor 1 million light-years away from planet Earth, provided they are compos mentis and are doing so using disposable income of no consequence. I can think of numerous ways in which to support people who have no access to clean water on planet Earth, for example, but... to each his own.

Question: what is the tax situation on this issue?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:57:56 PM by Carana »

Offline Alice Purjorick

"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Brietta

Personally, I have no objection to people paying to have a time-share certificate on a meteor 1 million light-years away from planet Earth, provided they are compos mentis and are doing so using disposable income of no consequence. I can think of numerous ways in which to support people who have no access to clean water on planet Earth, for example, but... to each his own.

Question: what is the tax situation on this issue?

My objection would be if they were exercising double standards by vociferously criticising those contributing to a time share on the planet Zog.

The tax situation is of interest.  Would it be classed as 'unearned income'? and might the Portuguese Revenue Service be thinking about this and asking to see the books?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Jean-Pierre

She has stated in black and white exactly what the fund is for - legal costs.
Now where is the equivalent statement of what the other fund is for?
There was a statement by a spokesperson on NZ radio stating it would not be used for legal costs.
It is the ultimate in transparency - so transparent that it is invisible.
Does it mention being used to influence foreign local elections - I don't know - where is it?

What on earth is this about?

Offline Brietta

http://www.gofundme.com/safety

As has been pointed out, no one is questioning Leanne's integrity ... but once she has authorised transfer to another account, it is out of her control.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Jean-Pierre

My objection would be if they were exercising double standards by vociferously criticising those contributing to a time share on the planet Zog.

The tax situation is of interest.  Would it be classed as 'unearned income'? and might the Portuguese Revenue Service be thinking about this and asking to see the books?

It is a private gift, freely given and not in return for any form of service. Ergo it is not taxable as income.

Alfred R Jones

http://www.gofundme.com/safety

"Donors should only contribute payments to GoFundMe users they personally know and trust" - hmmm....I neither know Leeanne / Gonc, nor trust either of them as far as I could throw 'em so that's me out at the first hurdle... @)(++(*

Offline Brietta

It is a private gift, freely given and not in return for any form of service. Ergo it is not taxable as income.

Thanks, JP.  So in effect it can be used for whatever.  I seem to remember that at a time money was being donated for legal expenses to PJGA one of Mr Amaral's lawyers insisting on payment up-front before continuing with the case, maybe that explains it.

Offline Alice Purjorick

"Donors should only contribute payments to GoFundMe users they personally know and trust" - hmmm....I neither know Leeanne / Gonc, nor trust either of them as far as I could throw 'em so that's me out at the first hurdle... @)(++(*
No surprise there then  8(0(*

Harry S Truman
I don't believe in anti-anything. A man has to have a program. You have to be for something, otherwise you will never get anywhere.

"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Alice Purjorick

Thanks, JP.  So in effect it can be used for whatever.  I seem to remember that at a time money was being donated for legal expenses to PJGA one of Mr Amaral's lawyers insisting on payment up-front before continuing with the case, maybe that explains it.

Or a sizable court fee to be paid when filing the appeal papers.

Alfred R Jones

No surprise there then  8(0(*

Harry S Truman
I don't believe in anti-anything. A man has to have a program. You have to be for something, otherwise you will never get anywhere.
I am for something, it just doesn't happen to be a bent ex-cop or his fan club secretary.

Offline Carana

In terms of which tax authority?

Offline Alice Purjorick

I am for something, it just doesn't happen to be a bent ex-cop or his fan club secretary.

It is difficult to pick that up from your posts. We are all too aware of what you are not for but what you are for does not exactly shine through like a beacon.

Offline Jean-Pierre

In terms of which tax authority?

In most jurisdictions.  Certainly throughout Europe. 

Alfred R Jones

It is difficult to pick that up from your posts. We are all too aware of what you are not for but what you are for does not exactly shine through like a beacon.
Your lack of perception is my problem or concern how exactly...?