Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853037 times)

Offline Brietta

Far more important is that SY and PJ together solve the case now and I think that may be happening.
Only then I think will Mr Amaral be content.

I think one of the worst days of Mr Amaral's life may very well have been the day of this announcement. 

Portuguese police have reopened their inquiry into the disappearance of British girl Madeleine McCann, the public prosecutor's office has said.

Madeleine, from Leicestershire, was three when she disappeared from Praia da Luz in the Algarve in May 2007.

Portugal's attorney general said "new elements of evidence" justified the "continuation of the investigation", which was shelved by police in 2008.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24655826

Madeleine McCann's parents had been striving for the case to be reopened by Britain and Portugal in an effort to find out what happened to their daughter. Therein lies the only possible "Justice" for Madeleine. 

In the interim Mr Amaral had been indulging in making a very good living from touring television studios in Portugal insisting that his theory was the only solution and systematically blackguarding her parents in the process. 

It is my opinion that the last thing in the world that Mr Amaral and his support want is a resolution to Madeleine McCann's case.

He would have written a different book if he had, that is if he thought it appropriate to write a book at all ... and not one in which he promoted his 'solution' to a case he had dismally failed to solve perhaps in part because of his adherence to his fantastic theory.

I think you may fail to understand that in the Portugal that matters ~ that of Law & Order ~ Mr Amaral's credit has long since run out.  The final cut to any credibility he may have held onto was the evidence which allowed the reopening of Madeleine's case.

The Portuguese Courts consistently rule against him and I think his appeal if granted is merely his device for postponing the inevitable.

"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Jean-Pierre

I suggest that you read back about appeals as it seems that you have not yet grasped certain facts. If the first instance judge does not accept the grounds for appeal, she maintains her judgement and she then sends the appeal up to the Tribunal da Relação.

However, the appeal must have substance, and challenge either proven facts or specific points of law. 

It will not be sufficient simply to say he doesn't like the judgement. 

And here lies the rub - having read the judgement, I cannot see much wriggle room for him.

Offline jassi

I think the worse day of his life was the day he was appointed to the McCann investigation.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Jean-Pierre

That possibly is the only point you and I agree on J-P.
The law is for everyone regardless; even those we don't like.

That is a hallmark of what passes for civilisation.

Offline Brietta

It seems not . When amaral is totally quiet we are told he's biding his time...when SY are quiet we are told they are doing nothing...the usual double standards of the deluded

Hmmm ... the tick-tock thing?  Seems to be working out, although not quite as intended.

Anyone who thinks Mr Amaral's legal team are not working assiduously behind the scene is deluded.  Similarly anyone who believes SY and the PJ are not working assiduously behind the scenes are deluded.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Carana

However, the appeal must have substance, and challenge either proven facts or specific points of law. 

It will not be sufficient simply to say he doesn't like the judgement. 

And here lies the rub - having read the judgement, I cannot see much wriggle room for him.

I find that his recent media spoutings offer an idea of what he might attempt to present...

Offline Lace

I think the worse day of his life was the day he was appointed to the McCann investigation.

He appointed himself didn't he?      I think he was out of his depth.

ferryman

I find that his recent media spoutings offer an idea of what he might attempt to present...

Neglect?

Rejected by the prosecutors.

May not be promising (for Amaral)

Offline pegasus

Amen to that

However we will have to agree to differ on Amaral.
It's possible and maybe it requires at first no new evidence just one eureka moment.
If it is solved I think Mr Amaral will be satisfied, whatever the proven solution turns out to be, justice is all.
Meanwhile it's important to counter ongoing IMO attempts to destroy him.
BTW were meetings Lisbon mid-Jan '11 about this libel case ?

Alfred R Jones

Rubbish - the McCann case made him rich and famous, briefly.

Offline pegasus

(snip)... Mr Amaral's credit has long since run out. ...(snip)
He was certainly highly regarded by the PSD political party when they chose him as their candidate for president of the town of Olhão.

Respected also by the people of Olhão.
The polls in Jan 2011 predicted that he would get 53% of the votes and easily win the election.
That's something the PSD had never done in Olhão since '74.

I don't understand what happened next, do you?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:04:25 AM by pegasus »

Offline Jean-Pierre

It's possible and maybe it requires at first no new evidence just one eureka moment.
If it is solved I think Mr Amaral will be satisfied, whatever the proven solution turns out to be, justice is all.
Meanwhile it's important to counter ongoing IMO attempts to destroy him.
BTW were meetings Lisbon mid-Jan '11 about this libel case ?

Do I take it that you see the McCanns attempt to enforce their legitimate legal rights through the Portuguese courts as attempts to  "destroy him"?  How very melodramatic.

Who or what forced him (having failed to bring a prosecution) to write a book and make a documentary accusing two grieving parents of crimes, and attempting to damage their reputations.

Face facts - he saw an opportunity to get rich on the back of a missing child - he lost. Tough.

I take it you are happy to have a bent, greedy thuggish ex cop as your role model?  Happy days. 

Offline Jean-Pierre

He was certainly highly regarded by the PSD political party when they chose him as their candidate for president of the town of Olhão.

Respected also by the people of Olhão.
The polls in Jan 2011 predicted that he would get 53% of the votes and easily win the election.
That's something the PSD had never done in Olhão since '74.

You actually believe Gerry McCann prevented him from becoming president?  Jesus.   *&*%£ *&*%£ *&*%£ 

Offline jassi

Rubbish - the McCann case made him rich and famous, briefly.

Exactly - think how happy he might have been to have never heard of the McCanns - like many others of us, actually.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Jean-Pierre

Exactly - think how happy he might have been to have never heard of the McCanns - like many others of us, actually.

It depends - he saw the McCanns as a way out of his financial mess and though he could make a few hundred thousand euros from his potboiler. 

I don't think he ever imagined the McCanns might just object. 

Or take him through the Portuguese courts.